News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

First time coming to Arizona..

Started by BeerBlessings, February 26, 2009, 10:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeerBlessings

I am from Ohio, and will be coming to the Arizona Renaissance Festival for my first time in a few weeks..

Anything that I should know about this fest?

What should I not miss? (Acts, shops, etc..)

Where is the best food and/or drink?

What's the quality and price of beer?

Anything else that you can think of?

Thanks in advance!!!

Lord Figaro

My wife and I went for our first time President's day weekend and had a blast. The first thing we enjoyed was the people of course. But for shows, I think Hey nunnie nunnie was pretty funny, Tartanic rocked. We were lucky to be there for the Medieval Babes, but I think they are gone now. They have a real good presentation of Falconry. Gawd, there are so many things to see and do it's hard to keep them all straight. Their jousting is supposed to be top notch, but the wife and I got caught up in everything else we never got to see it. From what I understand though is that it's kind of like a running show. The first show sets the theme for the 2nd show and so on for the 3rd show. The local locals who go more often I'm sure will have some great advice along shortly too, I'm sure.

I'm not a beer drinker, but they have these mixed drinks for like 6 bucks. My fave was the shipwreck. For food, they have lots of great choices. My fave there was the corned beef and cabbage, though that's not for everyone. So many things to see and do, it's hard to put them all down really.
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana

crazyrennie

My Apologies but you are going to get a Biased view from a stage crew.

All of the shows at the Falconers Heath-

for food the Sausage Shope by the Falconers heath has really great food-

Cerarienh

Wear sunscreen and drink lots of water.  We are in the midst of our spring  . . . which for us is upper 80's to lower 90's if not warmer. 

Julianne

Welcome BeerBlessings!  I hope you are getting some useful information.  Let us all know which weekend you will be visiting so we know to look out for you.

I have to reiterate what Cera said.  If this is your first time to Phoenix we can't emphasize enough the importance of sun screen and drinking as much water as you can throughout the day.

We don't have covered pubs...just covered stages.

My personal favorite performers are Owain Phyfe and Don Juan and Miguel.

Best bang for the buck for food is the Loaded Potato...when it's available (they run out a lot).  And for breakfast you can't beat the Scotch Eggs.  I like the corned beef and cabbage too.

Regular faire food and typical beers, ales (Guiness, Smithwicks, Harp, domestic) which all run $5.00
The mixed drinks and premium shots (doubles) run $6 to $10 I think.

You may be searched at the front gate for contraband alcohol.  Since the faire has a liquor license they have zero tolerance for smuggled booze.

Comte de Gilbert

actually domestics Bud / light, Amberboch are only $4, premium and imports are $5.

I would have to agree Don Juan & Miguel, and Hey Nunny Nunny are great shows to catch. Owain has some great music, Cast in Bronze is a very unique experience as well

As for food I enjoy the scotch eggs, loaded potatoes, bread bowls, and fish & chips.

Most of the playtrons can be found in the VIP parking lot imediately outside the front gate, after opening many of us can be found at the Dancing Pig pub (all the way in the back by the joust, this is the location Owain plays at)
Did anyone mention drinking plenty of water and don't forget sunscreen?  ::)  ;D ;D Seriously though our temps are coming up rather fast this year and the Arizona sun can be brutal

à bientôt
Those that live by the sword, lose to those that live by the gun

BeerBlessings

My home faire, Great Lakes Medieval Faire, is in July and August, so we're used to the 80 and sometimes 90 degree weather.. So this will be like our summer, only not so humid!

So yeah, sunscreen and plenty of water.. Is there a place to get water, or is it just for sale? I know Penn Ren has water fountains, and my home faire has a spot in the middle for free water. And just about every place I've been to has free water at the first aid location. (I haven't know otherwise, but you never know..)

My girlfriend and I should be arriving at the Phoenix airport the morning of Sunday March 22, so barring travel problems we'll be there by noon, if not earlier. (Going straight from the airport to the fest, and garbbing up in the car.) We will also be there all of Closing Weekend, and flying back on Monday the 30th.

Since we're flying in, we won't have flasks with us, so no problems there. Too bad, because my flask works much too well wiht my attire.. If people are watching out for me, I should be easy to spot. If/when you see me, "BeerBlessings" becomes very obvious.. White priest robe, white tabbard with a red celtic cross, and long hair.. And a small-ish wooden placard that says "Will Bless For Beer." (And yes, I will.) ... (And for whatever reason, I tend to get a lot of Jesus comments.)

We're familiar with Owain as he plays our home faire.. Cast In Bronze is also at our "2nd home faire", and yes, a wonderful experience.. We're also familiar with Tortugas, Ded Bob, fool Hearty, and Franko the hypnotist.. Not familiar with the rest, however!

So, the Dancing Pig Pub.. I normally end up at the main pub, so that'll be a good place as any to meet folks

What's your cast like? How are they with street interaction? My home faire spills over with street interaction, so we're very used to it!

crazyrennie

Again-Biased opinion here-good street interaction-Stage crew interacts-time permitting-
come by and say Hi

Marcos Charron

BB

+1 on finding the cool kids/good people in the VIP lot before cannon. Everything is a good thing to see, but the Dancing Pig Pub seems to be the gathering spot for good people and performers. I will look for you and your blessing!

Marcos
At the faire or in the wood shop, that's where I am!

Lord Figaro

Mayhap we'll get lucky and one of those weekends are the one that the wife and I hope to attend as well. I know I'm looking forward to a return trip. I need fest bad.

George Santayana

atysmee01

Hey there, fellow R/F folks!

I am also an MNRF person, and will be at your lovely Faire this weekend!  I am VERY excited!

I would have announced my arrival sooner, but my trip has been hinging on the health of the friend that insist I come back to Arizona for Faire this year.  It looks like all systems are go, and as far as I know, we'll be attending both Saturday and Sunday this weekend.

I will look for folks prior to cannon, but also know our first stop will be at the Dancing Pig.

I know I saw a few of you at MNRF this past season.  I am a member of The Dregs, and I believe some of you may have been coerced into seeing a show, or at least enjoying the fine brews at Mac's Pub!  The unofficial scuttlebutt is that I'm "scoping out the Faire" to see if The Dregs could do a guest appearance weekend or two perhaps next season??

Lord and Lady Fig...I MISS YOU!!!!!!!!!!  I understand that you hope to get back to AZRF for another weekend this run.  I would love to see you if you can make it down this weekend.  Otherwise, I know I'll be back in AZ soonish and will keep you abreast of my travel schedule.

I'll be in the air in 4 days, at AZRF in 4.5 days!  Whee!  I'm very excited!
Deirdre O'Dison
Resident Whiner of Mac's Pub
Old Maid in the Garrett

BeerBlessings

Well, I'll be there Sunday the 22nd, and will park wherever I can find a spot.. Then mayhaps once I find you regulars, you can fill me in on the VIP lot for the pre-gate tailgating for Closing Weekend.. :)

Just under 3 weeks.. Wooo!!

Lord Figaro

Quote from: atysmee01 on March 02, 2009, 04:04:14 PM
Lord and Lady Fig...I MISS YOU!!!!!!!!!!  I understand that you hope to get back to AZRF for another weekend this run.  I would love to see you if you can make it down this weekend.  Otherwise, I know I'll be back in AZ soonish and will keep you abreast of my travel schedule.

I'll be in the air in 4 days, at AZRF in 4.5 days!  Whee!  I'm very excited!

DANG DANG DANG, my brother in law and family are coming down for the week this Friday and they already have their "itinerary" planned out. Sadly the ren fest isn't one of those things. Can you say DANG DANG DANG DANG and DAG NABBIT. Hope you have a wonderful time sweetie, we so do miss you too, and now we wish even more we would be able to be there. I feel like this kid.

George Santayana

Lady Figaro

Quote from: atysmee01 on March 02, 2009, 04:04:14 PM

AWWWWW - I am so bummed that we can't be there this weekend to see you!   :'(  We miss you SO MUCH!!  That's it...you'll just have to stay for another weekend!   ;D  Please keep us updated on your travel plans for when you are back down in our neck of the woods and we'll make sure to be available to see you!!!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away.