News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

In Need of Volunteers!!!

Started by rengypsy, March 02, 2009, 09:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rengypsy

there were folk this last weekend that asked, "what can i do to volunteer"?

first and foremost, we need folk to drive around all over your various communities and drop off flyers in high traffic areas.  we are gonna do this three times during the year, with the largest push, obviously, being the two months before the gates swing open.

we need volunteers for the following:

costume creation
sign design and painting
clearing and moving brush from the grounds
a very simple design for a small chapel
moving logs around stages for seating
blessings and good thoughts
volunteer fairies
still seeking a merlin
if folk wanna bring out battery-packed drills and help start putting up the fence, that would be great
i need ideas for the space just to the right when one enters the front gate--it's kind of an isolated park area where i have constructed one 12' x 12' platform and will have a 30' x 20' souviner booth and another 20' x 20 ' booth designed for the resident faire artist.  but i need more ideas.

and, ideas, ideas, ideas...
it's all about the journey and the people we choose to make the journey with

mpullen

Have you setup some form of discount with a hardware/lumber yard near the site? One that will deliver the truckloads of material. If you can promise them that you will recommend them as the source of materials, they might offer a 10% or so discount. With the present building slump, they might offer an even better deal.

Have you also established a basic set of rules for constructing booths?

I've sent out requests to various clans and families to check here and get updated info. Ensure the faire website stays up-to-date. Also post pictures of the various areas and indicate where you need help. That way folks can determine if their skills would help and what tools they need to bring.

I can also help you out with planning the campgrounds, based on my experiences with the faire that will not be named, including campgrounds rules and fees.

Believe me, once these folks know they are needed, there will be more than enough volunteers standing in line. People will help vendors construct their booths, clear land, move materials where needed, and of course provide constructive criticism and advice.

rengypsy

fantastic ideas.

thanks. we will be working on updating the website in the next week.  zane, lauren and i are headed to bali for two weeks to have items made for the faire. we will be returning the last of march...and will schedule a work weekend in april. 

i need your help in setting up the campgrounds.

right now, lowes of all companies...is offering me a 10% discount.  i want to try to find a local who will match or beat their prices, but that may not be feasible.

have not made up building codes.  should, but, haven't.  have a grounds director on site and he will have to approve the buildings as structurally sound.

want to also get a builders' list...though i wanna allow folk who have the skills and talents to build their own, if they can.  it could be risky, though...since if they construct something unsound, it will not be allowed to stand.

this liberal here has a bit of libertarian blood running through his veins...trust but verify (wait, oh no...i am wandering into reaganisms)--beam me up, scottie.

dbaldock

Quote from: rengypsy on March 03, 2009, 07:01:33 PM
right now, lowes of all companies...is offering me a 10% discount.  i want to try to find a local who will match or beat their prices, but that may not be feasible.

Lowes in Bastrop is beside McCoys Lumber and right across Hwy 21 / 71 from Home Depot  - about 17 miles from the Sherwood Forest Faire site.

Google Earth does not have current aerial photos, but the Street View photos of the area show Home Depot and McCoys, and the construction site when Lowes was being built last year.

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

Pascal

have not made up building codes.  should, but, haven't.  have a grounds director on site and he will have to approve the buildings as structurally sound.

Do you have any information about any required building inspections?  Will Paige require a building inspector to "okay" a structure before you can move on to the next phase of construction?  I'm worried (if this is required) that this could push a short building project into a long project.

dbaldock

I think rengypsy mentioned in another thread that he's dealing directly with the Bastrop County Planning/Building/Inspection Departments.

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

Moldy Forest

If theres anything I can do to help from Colorado let me know. I'm already planning on crashing opening weekend... ;D
Chik-fil-a is the best restaurant ever. The End.

Pascal

Thanks -- I know rengypsy's got the building permit taken care of; I'm more curious about what the building inspectors will require.  For instance, will they require construction to halt after the footings are built, after the framing's built, after the wall's are put up, after the roof's on, etc.  Will they require things like hurricane strappings, etc?   I'm assuming each "stop construction and wait for building inspector okay before proceeding" mean's that's all you can do that weekend -- so the more inspection points, the more time (and trips) it'll take to complete a structure.

I could also be completely wrong about what's involved -- I've never had to deal with building inspectors before, so I'm assuming worst case.  I'd love it to be such that you can work straight through some minimum number of weekends without long inspection stoppages.

rengypsy

we are not in a municipality's jurisdiction, other than Bastrop County...and there are no building inspections that i have been informed of...other than septic system, culvert issues dealing with right of way.  we are building now.

plans have to pass my own grounds director's inspection.

rengypsy

mpullen

i need your help in setting up the campgrounds.

I can come up there in April and go over my ideas/suggestions. Name the date, as long as it isn't the second Saturday in the month, because that's when I hold my submarine veteran meeting and perform work on the Cavalla submarine in Seawolf Park in Galveston. I am the base commander for submarine veterans from Houston to Galveston area, so that weekend is reserved.

rengypsy

3rd weekend in april!

thanks...we will invite others as well, but i will set aside time for you to enlighten me.

this is great.

i appreciate all your help and advice.

its gonna be a fantastic faire because of everyone's ideas

Autouloucous

If anyone wants to volunteer on a day that is not an official volunteers meeting day, you may contact me, and we can work out a time we both can be there.  I live in Austin, and may be available more often than rengypsy to go out there and supervise perilous things like chainsawing etc., which we don't want done without a Sherwood Forest official employee present.  my email adress is entertainment@swf-faire.com

rengypsy

i am curious as to what kind of volunteerism folk are interested in:

working on the sight with cutting wood, building structures, moving logs around stages?

distributing brochures and putting up posters in your respective communities?

being part of the acting company?

developing/painting signs?

laying waterlines?

installing rope swings in trees?

spreading the word via internet means?

we need each of you have time to assist in making sherwood forest faire an unforgettable experience!!!