News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What could make you stop being a pirate?

Started by Obadiah Jib, March 04, 2009, 08:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obadiah Jib

Is there anything that could or would (except death of course) make you turn in your Jolly Roger and stop being a pirate? ???
First Mate of the Portobello Rose.
I'm not the captain, I just dress better than he does.

NorthBayDreamer

I suppose a career ending event would probably be .... jailed in a foreign country
Lord Lisle (when a Nobel)
Horndog (when a Pirate)
Master Thomas Boddinham (when a middle)
Landshark No. 67

Welsh Wench

A great pair of boots.
And what fills them.  ;)
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Captain Jack Wolfe

Being dead doesn't make you any less of a pirate.  Just less productive.   :D

What could take my attention away from the Life?  A lass that appreciates a great pair of boots...  ;) ;D
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

lilaney

Hmm...
I would think if it became the fashion for a Pirate to be hunted as meat.

Although, even then, I would merely be off the radar and start calling myself by some other
nom de plume.

Blackbead

As afar as being dead, that's when SOME pirates are the most dangerous!

I suppose if some king or queen or government were crazy enough to give me letters of marque then I'd become a privateer or if somehow the rules and regulations of some country's navy were made a little more reasonable . . .

OR if me memoirs were to suddenly become a best seller and then turned into a play, THAT might lure me away from the sweet trade to become a director.  And, as all of us who have ever acted know, L'Ollonais was a pussycat compared to most directors!
"It's not the gold that sets our sails, 'tis freedom and the promise of a better life that raises our black flags."

Blackjack Roberts

Returning to the profession of Highwayman.

But, come ta think 'a it........that be pretty much the same bloody thing!

Kinda like bein' a Landshark....... ???

Bloody Hell!........I'm one of those, Too!  :o ;) :D

Phins Up!

Welsh Wench

And a piratess or a landshark-ess both can roll in the sand with a rock and roll man......

FINS UP!
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Captain Jack Wolfe

Like I needed one more incentive to keep playing the sax?   ;)

Fins UP! :D
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

1stmatematt

The main thing that turns me off about the pirate relm is all the drama. For every group there is another group that talks crap and for every festival there is another doing the same. I just wish everyone could unite and stop all the bickering. One crew hates the other becuase they got a job that they wanted and so on. I mean people need to stick together and be happy that there are guys out there other then themselves trying to make this genre work.

We could have something ultra mega special going on here if everyone could stop backstabbing each other and just unite for the good all sea rats.

I mean take PirateCon for example...what a wunderfull thing that could have been... Maybe we all need to lay off the rum alittle while and start firing up that peace pipe...I dont know.

UNITE! Shall we?
1stMateMatt AKA Matt Stagmer
Co-Owner of Baltimore Knife and Sword
Assistant Editor of Pirates Magazine

renren

Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

Jezzy MacPeaks

Not one bloody thing!  I figure, once a pirate, always a pirate!

And regardin' some backstabbin' the others, well, you'll find that goin' on in any genre, and I suppose it's almost a prerequisite to bein' a pirate.  Do ya know of many in history what didn't stab one or th' other in the back, given the opportunity?  What's that they be sayin', "Take what ye can.  Give nothin' back!"

But seriously, folks, I do agree that it's pointless to be fighting between groups.  We're all out there doing the same thing and loving it!  Why make it a bloody war, for crying out loud!

It's a Pirate's Life for ME!

Pyrate Queen
Costumer, Extraordinaire
Hook'n of Clan M'Crack
Have Blunderbuss, Will Plunder

Blackjack Roberts

Aye, 'tis a right bloody shame, it is.

It's a big ocean, Mates, and there be room fer all.

Pirates unite a'fore we all be swingin' from the bloody yardarm!

*passes the bottle to renren*

Captain Jack Wolfe

Historically, pirates have banded together as a matter of expedience.  Too much prey, too few predators.  But now times have grown lean.  Too little prey, too many sharks in the water.  And it does boil down to "no prey, no pay", no matter the profession.  This is where cooler heads prevail, and treaties be struck.  If there be a dispute over venue for your crew to ply their trade, then demand parloolooloo...  No, that's not it.  Pardon!  No...  parson, parsnip, parter, partner... PARLEY!!  That's it!  Demand parley.  Work it out.  Alternate weekends if that's an option.  Alternate faires if it comes to that. 

But work TOGETHER, mates.  As pirates, by definition, we're already at war with the World.  Warring among ourselves... well, the World wins, yeah?  How can we let that happen?

I'm not suggesting the multifarious captains come together for some massive group hug and "Kum By Ya".  Far from it.  Anything but that.  Anyone who knows me knows that's not how I roll.  Tenuous truces, agreed upon territories until the economy improves, yes. 

We need to do what we must to survive.

Jezzy MacPeaks

Oh, puhhhleeeeze, Cap'n, but I do believe I was a party to one o' yer "group hugs"...well, but, then, with my two girls, any hug be a group hug, eh?  ;)
I expect to be group huggin' many pirates this season!  Yarrrr!
Pyrate Queen
Costumer, Extraordinaire
Hook'n of Clan M'Crack
Have Blunderbuss, Will Plunder