News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What could make you stop being a pirate?

Started by Obadiah Jib, March 04, 2009, 08:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeadBishop

Nope...sorry.  Just don't understand the question.  Since the question is pure nonsense, rhere is only one proper answer:

Octopus five-speed guitar.

R/F.com member since 2003

Blackjack Roberts

Quote from: Molden on March 27, 2009, 06:49:08 PM
AYE! I be wi' ya BJR! 'ceptin', bein' 'e's threatinin' ... he buys th' bloody rum! Aye?  ;)

Aye, Mate. One way 'r t'other.  :D

I'd a feelin' Ol' Anne'd agree. See wot I mean about we Roberts?

Pity Bart were a tea totaler........Bloody good pirate though.

Obadiah Jib

I'm impressed that many of you would go toe to toe with Captain Henry Morgan!

Of course history tells us what happened to those brave souls...

What if it was Woodes Rogers who asked you to give up the sweet trade?
First Mate of the Portobello Rose.
I'm not the captain, I just dress better than he does.

Welsh Wench

I'd say 'Wrap me in silks and I might consider it, Mr. Rogers.'

Oh, that just didn't sound right.

Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Blackjack Roberts

Same answer, Mate.

It's not about takin' th' risk 'o die'n. We all be sail'n them seas sooner 'r later. It's about livin' ta the fullest with wot time ye have.

Most all pirates met with a death that were sooner'n what would be considered nat'ral. But as Sir William Wallace said, (via Mel Gibson), "Every man dies, not every man really lives."

Me answer remains the same.

*I'd also not be foolish enough ta be makin' such a statement without a drawn and cocked pistol pointin' at either one 'o 'em under the table.*  ;) :D

Welsh Wench

When you said, 'Same answer, mate' I thought you wanted to be wrapped in silks, too, Blackjack!   :o

Then I thought, 'Nawwww...!'  :D
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Blackjack Roberts

Depends on who be sharn' them silks, Luv.  ;) ;D

'Course I wouldn't be a'posed ta a good black silk buccaneer shirt! 8)

Molden

*grins n' thoughtfully strokes his goatee...*

Welll.... y' know me, or most do anyway... ;)

so, t' th' bein' wrapped in silks...Aye! Usually encourages lasses t' join in...

already got a silky, black pyrate shirrrrt,

and ...

IT DINNA MATTER OOO ASKSES TH' BLOODY QUESTION!

The answer is still an emphatic "NO!". I'll take cold steel in me guts r' hot lead t' th' coconut afore I'll feel th' 'angman's hemp agin' me neck! 
Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

Capt Spleen

LITTLE KNOWN TIDBIT OF NAVAL HISTORY.

clip_image001

The U.S.S. Constitution (Old Ironsides), as a combat vessel, carried 48,600 gallons of fresh water for her crew of 475 officers and men. This was sufficient to last six months of sustained operations at sea. She carried no evaporators (i.e. fresh water distillers).

However, let it be noted that according to her ship's log, "On July 27, 1798, the U.S.S. Constitution sailed from Boston with a full complement of 475 officers and men, 48,600 gallons of fresh water, 7,400 cannon shot, 11,600 pounds of black powder and 79,400 gallons of rum."

Her mission: "To destroy and harass English shipping."

Making Jamaica on 6 October, she took on 826 pounds of flour and 68,300 gallons of rum.

Then she headed for the Azores , arriving there 12 November. She provisioned with 550 pounds of beef and 64,300 gallons of Portuguese wine.

On 18 November, she set sail for England . In the ensuing days she defeated five British men-of-war and captured and scuttled 12 English merchant ships, salvaging only the rum aboard each.

By 26 January, her powder and shot were exhausted. Nevertheless, although unarmed she made a night raid up the Firth of Clyde in Scotland . Her landing party captured a whiskey distillery and transferred 40,000 gallons of single malt Scotch aboard by dawn. Then she headed home.

The U. S. S. Constitution arrived in Boston on 20 February 1799, with no cannon shot, no food, no powder, no rum, no wine, no whiskey, and 38,600 gallons of water .
*Food and drynk like this might persuade me.......*

Captain Jack Wolfe

Quote from: Capt Spleen on October 08, 2013, 06:06:03 PM

LITTLE KNOWN TIDBIT OF NAVAL HISTORY.

clip_image001

The U.S.S. Constitution (Old Ironsides), as a combat vessel, carried 48,600 gallons of fresh water for her crew of 475 officers and men. This was sufficient to last six months of sustained operations at sea. She carried no evaporators (i.e. fresh water distillers).

However, let it be noted that according to her ship's log, "On July 27, 1798, the U.S.S. Constitution sailed from Boston with a full complement of 475 officers and men, 48,600 gallons of fresh water, 7,400 cannon shot, 11,600 pounds of black powder and 79,400 gallons of rum."

Her mission: "To destroy and harass English shipping."

Making Jamaica on 6 October, she took on 826 pounds of flour and 68,300 gallons of rum.

Then she headed for the Azores , arriving there 12 November. She provisioned with 550 pounds of beef and 64,300 gallons of Portuguese wine.

On 18 November, she set sail for England . In the ensuing days she defeated five British men-of-war and captured and scuttled 12 English merchant ships, salvaging only the rum aboard each.

By 26 January, her powder and shot were exhausted. Nevertheless, although unarmed she made a night raid up the Firth of Clyde in Scotland . Her landing party captured a whiskey distillery and transferred 40,000 gallons of single malt Scotch aboard by dawn. Then she headed home.

The U. S. S. Constitution arrived in Boston on 20 February 1799, with no cannon shot, no food, no powder, no rum, no wine, no whiskey, and 38,600 gallons of water .
*Food and drynk like this might persuade me.......*

Might as well have posted the rest of the story, including the bit about it being pretty much a fable.

http://forbesontech.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/09/fun-facts-on-old-ironsides-from-the-days-before-the-us-navys-ban-on-alcohol-aboard-ships-the-uss-con.html

Fixed it for you.

Either way, of course her mission was to "harass and destroy English shipping." She was a naval warship, that's what they did. Such operations along with continual aggressive incursions into Britain's Canadian territories eventually led to the War of 1812.
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Capt Spleen

Well, just goes to show that you can not believe everything you read in black n white.......
For every story, there's a counter story. Eggs, are bad for you, no they're good for you, no they're bad, no good.... so on....
All true stories are those that you were in attendance while the storied history was being made.
and without pictures or video we'll all just have to make up our own minds.

However, THIS "story" might persuade me to give up the pirate life......... Not.
Because the Navy has too many rules.