News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

1st visit

Started by Dallan, March 05, 2009, 11:31:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dallan

Greetings

Our family is visiting for the first time on opening weekend. We very excited and hoped to get any advice people may want to share as to the must dos.

Thanks
Fight'n

Lady Christina de Pond

arrive early the entertainment outside the gate before gates open is just something to experience. the joust is a must see and the pirate auction you gotta stay for that I think it was a 4 that afternoon arrive early for that too the closer you are the better
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

fairieimp

The Tortuga Twins are awesome as well. I'll agree with Lady Christina, arrive EARLY, and definitely see the joust. I've been going for four years, and have yet to see everything. I'd also see a demonstration by the blacksmith; I find it interesting to see how things were done back then.
I'll be there opening day, but I'm not sure about Sunday. Hopefully it won't snow like it did last year. :o 
"A halo is just one more thing to keep clean."

I am Margaret Rennell, you can call me Meg. :)

Lady Christina de Pond

It snowed? shoot it was cold enough to snow opening day but all i got was wind and the constent attempt to keep my hat on my head
Lady Ashley of De Coals

fairieimp

on sunday. it snowed. it sucked. i was stowed away, huddled in the storage of the pirate ship (not very warm i might add). i only ventured out a few times.
"A halo is just one more thing to keep clean."

I am Margaret Rennell, you can call me Meg. :)

EponaBlackhorse

I agree with what everyone has said so far.  Arriving early is a plus since you'll get a better parking spot as well as getting to see the opening gate entertainment.  From what I've heard, a lot of things are changing as far as entertainment and shows go this year.  Check out this website - http://www.georgiarenaissancefestival.com/schedule.php  - for the schedule of shows.  I don't think the blacksmith will be there this year (definitely a bummer since his show was really neat).  The auction at the pirate ship is entertaining to say the least.  The joust is good (I recommend the one at the end of the day).  A lot of the shops have cool demonstrations too (http://www.georgiarenaissancefestival.com/artistsmarket.php).  I'll be working opening weekend at Sabersmith, so come by and say hi!!  :) 

Dallan

Thanks all. We've had very little snow in MD this year. Let's hope we can avoid the irony of having it snow on opening weekend when we come down.
Fight'n

LadyDracolich

The Tortuga Twins show is a must see!!!  The last show in the afternoon is the most 'risque'.  However, I don't recommend the joust.  It's the same jousters as at CRF and I don't find much excitement in their show at all as it's all pre-determined (sorry Sis).  I wish it was the Knights of Valour instead.  The Pirate auction is fantastic, and you should really see that, and you should get there early.  The pub sing in the afternoon is always fun... And they've got the Lipizzaner show which is pretty good.  And, of course, Cast In Bronze!!!  They were at CRF too and I love that show!  I'll definitely be stopping in to see that show.

Dallan... You're going for the M'Crack invasion, right?  If so, I look forward to seeing you there!!
I don't know what you've heard, none of it is factual, but it's all true.

Dallan

You are correct. I look forward to seeing you there as well. You'll recognize me, I'm the guy in a saffron kilt and green shirt on Saturday.  ;D
Fight'n

Lady Tess

You'll have to check out Barely Balanced.

LadyDracolich

Quote from: Dallan on March 11, 2009, 10:22:07 AM
You are correct. I look forward to seeing you there as well. You'll recognize me, I'm the guy in a saffron kilt and green shirt on Saturday.  ;D

Well, as it's my birthday weekend as well as the invasion, i'll be there w/ my green bodice and saffron skirt on. ;)  Looking forward to seeing everyone!!
I don't know what you've heard, none of it is factual, but it's all true.

Lady Christina de Pond

;D so many people to meet that day can't wait
Lady Ashley of De Coals

Lady Mikayla of Phoenicia

Quote from: LadyDracolich on March 11, 2009, 09:38:35 AM
I don't recommend the joust.  It's the same jousters as at CRF and I don't find much excitement in their show at all as it's all pre-determined (sorry Sis).   Dallan... You're going for the M'Crack invasion, right?  If so, I look forward to seeing you there!!

Yes, this is where my Sis and I disagree.  I find the Hanlon-Lees jousting troop quite entertaining!  I encourage taking it in during your visit. 

I'm sure we could find an archery range as well!   ;)
"Embrace those who love you and rid yourself of those who bring you down."

renfairephotog

The pirate auction is entertaining for people watching. They have a great bird show. I just saw the Cast in bronze will be there. I've never seen the show but I've heard some of the music. I might have to go back down there this year.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Lord Clisto of York

Hail everyone,

Seems like I too will be coming to the GA faire on opening weekend for my first time as well. I am not performing anywhere at that time and I have always wanted to go before I get into my heavy faire season. I should be booking this weekend or Monday for my flight from Miwaukee and I will be staying with Mercy (Leader of the Lost) and Roland - Jeannie and Dave. Been friends with them for a long time and havent seen them for a while. So, we will be doing Ga one day and Tenn ren the other. Just don't know which yet but probably Ga Saturday and Tenn on Sun. My camera will be getting a big workout, so please let me know if you don't want your pics taken, but I wish it all is ok.

I am soooo... looking forward to meeting many of you if you are going to be there for opening weekend. Please let me know and once there if you see me, hail me down. I know Jeannie will be making sure I see people. I am really excited about this trip. I figure I will do my part to Stimulate the economy. LOL

Lord Sir Clisto of York
Invictus Maneo - I Remain Unvanquished