News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Easy bodice?

Started by tigrlily64, March 05, 2009, 11:54:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinobabe

My puckering is at the princess seam, as stated it curves instead of supporting.  And it was HUGE.  I had to overlap the sides and cut 3 inches from each side on the front to make it fit "OK".  I didn't want to work too hard on it since it was my first.  But it was a great learning experience!  Since I'm still new at this can anyone suggest how I can use that pattern and make it fit better?  Maybe just a different placement of the boning?  Thanks!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

gem

To use *that* pattern and make it fit better?

1. Cut out a much smaller size.

2. Draft out the princess seams.

3. Replace the heavy duty interfacing with canvas.

4. Redo the boning placement, and use heavy duty cable ties instead of the featherweight boning.

...That'll get you started.

Dinobabe

Quote from: gem on March 14, 2009, 03:55:51 PM

4. Redo the boning placement, and use heavy duty cable ties instead of the featherweight boning.

Wow!  Thank you so much!  I think I'll try this and see how it comes out.  ;)
I don't want to sound lazy or cheap but since I rarely get to attend faire anymore and I only paid $1 for the pattern I figured I'd alter it before buying a really nice H/A pattern.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

DragonWing

Quote from: Dinobabe on March 13, 2009, 02:12:50 PM
Quote from: DragonWing on March 13, 2009, 10:43:59 AM
Hello I was reading your request. I found this one in McCalls
http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M4107.htm?tab=costumes&page=5

That's the pattern I used with some modifications.  The only part I didn't like was the way the front seams puckered a bit, but that's probably a lack of experience!  ::)

Wow good to know. I have never made this bodice. And no need to until a female friend may want me too. But thought it looked good and loved the different variations. Thanks for the input from those who have used it and mastered it.
Dragon rider and mage,
(aka Vince)

Bronwyn

Quote from: gem on March 14, 2009, 03:55:51 PM

Glad I'm not the only one with issues with the McCalls pattern!!!  I have steel boning in mine and it does not support the girls what so ever.  I think I might used Dawn's instructions to quickly re-make one for the remainder of faire here in FL.

Quick Question Gem, 

On the boning picture.  Is every "tube" where you put boning?  So you have 5 boning locations?  Or did you just do it at the back seam, the diagonal, and near the ties?

gem

Yes: every channel has boning (heavy duty cable ties), so 5--the side seams, diagonally, two together, and then one at the lacing edge.  What looks confusing is that there's a slightly larger gap between the first boning channel at the lacing edge, and the next two boning channels.  That larger gap is where I put the grommets.  If you look *very* closely, you can see tiny Xs penciled in on the channels that were boned (plus you can see that they're numbered 1-5 from the side seam out, so I knew which bone went in which channel).

I used the boning guide at the Tudor Costuming Pages, plus advice from Lorraine on boning placement to come up with this pattern. YMMV, and you should experiment to see what works best for you, but this is a good starting place.

Bronwyn

Quote from: gem on March 19, 2009, 01:58:23 PM
Yes: every channel has boning (heavy duty cable ties), so 5--the side seams, diagonally, two together, and then one at the lacing edge.  What looks confusing is that there's a slightly larger gap between the first boning channel at the lacing edge, and the next two boning channels.  That larger gap is where I put the grommets.  If you look *very* closely, you can see tiny Xs penciled in on the channels that were boned (plus you can see that they're numbered 1-5 from the side seam out, so I knew which bone went in which channel).

I used the boning guide at the Tudor Costuming Pages, plus advice from Lorraine on boning placement to come up with this pattern. YMMV, and you should experiment to see what works best for you, but this is a good starting place.

Thank you very much!!!  Going to give this lay out a try.......

Adriana Rose

Well that explains why the bodice I just made flopped! in more than one way!

I used an old sheet to line it with, I also used the hem off of the sheet for the boning casings. For the boning I used zip ties.

The darn thing is also sits too high on my hips and with the extra bit of fluff from the baby it does me no favors!

I have one that I love that is kinda like a Fredricks of Hollywood bodice and I love the way it fits! so I think I am gonna trace it.

wish me luck again lol

Dinobabe

OK, so I followed the redraft instructions for McCall's 4107 and re-placed the boning.  I had to do some trimming, measuring, trimming, cutting, and refitting for my measurements on the new paper pattern, BUT......  It turned out GREAT!!!!! ;D  It fits very well, supports, pushes UP :o , and the process was very easy to do.  If I make another I would make the point in front longer and make the back shorter or put in boning, but it really did turn out well and wasn't as hard as I was afraid it would be.  ;) It took me about a total of 15 hours to redraft, cut, sew, and grommet.

The front is reversible, the tabs are looped and have the same lining as the back.  I don't have all of the grommets in (I'm doing them right now while we watch NASCAR!) so I don't have a pic of me wearing it.

Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Taffy Saltwater

Congratulations - it's a beautiful bodice.  Very nice work!
Sveethot!

gem

Huzzah, Natasha!  That looks FANTASTIC!!

LadyShadow

Oh that looks wonderful.  And thank you all for those tips.  I think i am definitely going to try some of them out.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Dinobabe

Thank you guys!  You gave me the push I needed to become excited about redoing it! :-*
So if anyone else is contemplating, GO FOR IT! ;D
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

BJ and Kevin

When I made my first Bodice I used zip ties every seam and noticed where I had the openings and the gromets it still bunched up.  To fix the problem I cut metal clothes hangers to the size I needed and filed the edges smooth. It gave the support I needed and no cost as I have tons of hangers!

theniel

Thanks for posting the site and pic gem!!! I knew I saw a boneing patern I liked better. I had to find this thread again. Working on my first bodice and its skimpy on boneing. So im thinking on re drawing the chanels. what you have there looks far more suportive. Thanks again!