News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Modern blade technology

Started by TKM, February 26, 2009, 01:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALS

Woodland, my appologies, somehow when I posted, it registered TKM in my head as the poster at the time.

This statement by TKM
QuoteEven if it's a technology that hasn't quite been realized but is still very feasible, then fine. My story does have a bit of a sci-fi element, but I'd like for everything in it to be scientifically explainable, not just pulled out of my weed puller, you know?
letf me with the impression that it was sci-fi oriented.

TKM

Woodland artisan summed it up quite well, i think. Ceramics are very beneficial for military use, and much more interesting for a work of fiction.

The only obstacles seems to be; The feasibility of making a sword that long out of ceramics, and the practicality of designing a long sword for military use.

The first is really no problem, I already use so many theoretical technologies in my stories that fabricating a future in ceramic blades doesn't seem too far-fetched. I mean, the main downtown area in my story as hover transits powered by large brass rotors under the streets creating friction by rotating several thousand miles an hour. I've seen minitaure models of this do things like make steel marbles hover, but in all reality the problems involved in making vehicles full of people hover that way are just too outstanding for it to be completely realistic. But that's why it's sci-fi, and I'm happy that it's at least explainable, and theoretically possible.

As for the latter problem, that's just going to take some old-fashioned story writing to get around. What I'm thinking right off the bat is precautionary measurements... i mean, the sword my hero steals is seemingly the only one in production. They weren't preparing to mass produce and issue these things, in fact it was all still in the beta stages. I just like to think that the military always likes to have thier technologies open. Then again, since it was all being developed by a third party supplier, it may have been worked on merely for marketing purposes.

Hoowil

Quote from: Woodland Artisan on March 03, 2009, 04:31:51 PM
Quote from: ALS on March 03, 2009, 02:38:36 PM

If we're snapping back into reality of actual modern combat, I'll say what I said before .... knives and "swords" have no use in near-to-far future military combat.  It won't be personal (3' range) and "swords" have no place.  I'll say it again, steel and most alloy steel blade technology isn't modern.  Great for the tools and knives that I make, though.

I would have to say that a close contact weapon will always be used in some form. Today's military still is trained in hand to hand combat. Some are trained in knife combat. "Ancient" weapons are still in use. The allies used archers in Italy during WWII for covert missions. During WWI, trench knives were a necessity, and were used to a very deadly effect. We all know the almost cliche fights in stories about Vietnam involving machetes. Any time fighting come within arm's reach, due to terrain or intent (for subtlety) there will be a use for such weapons. When it comes to the why not, swords and knives take a lot more training than guns to use well. Also, I'm reminded of a conversation I had with a Civil War historian (about mainly Confederate soldiers) that soldiers could carry whatever they could get their hands on, beyond what they might be issued, but it became a problem of weight and bulk.  Do you carry something that weighs more, and is more awkward to carry, in case you might possibly need it, not knowing how to use it well, or go without and hope the little extra maneuverability can get you out of using it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.