News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Where to camp at TN Faire?

Started by Dominic_Deegan, March 09, 2009, 11:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominic_Deegan

I'm sorry if there is already a topic about this. I looked and all I could find was a thread about a party at a campsite, but nothing else.

This will be mine and my fiance's first time at the TN festival and we want to know where we could camp for the festival. I tried looking on the main website for the festival, but they offered no information at all about any camping grounds. Is there one at or at least very near the festival? if there are multiple ones, which one do you personally suggest and why?

Thank you in advance for any helpful answers. ;D
"If you like rainbows, then you'll have to get used to the rain."

Lady Catherine

I know there is a camping are where the vendors and acts camp up in smryna area, but I have no idea where...

I personally reccomend Hemry Horton State Park, it is about 20-30 mintes south on Hwy 31.

The website is :   

http://www.tennessee.gov/environment/parks/HenryHorton/index.shtml

Good Luck!

2008-2009 cast TNRF
Fishers, GARF, TNRF, ALARF, Fishers, KYHRF and BRISTOL
Coming 2011- Bella the Troll at TNRF!

Escarlata

A lot of the merchants and vendors camp at the I-24 Campground in Smyrna. I've stayed there several years and they've always been great.
Esc be no lady!
Bringing Good and Bad Dreams...as appropriate
FaireNews-spreading the Joy of Faire, one post at a time

Dominic_Deegan

Thank you guys! I will look into both sites and see what will work for us.

Syrilla

Sadly, there is nothing Near the faire site.  You can look into the towns of Smyrna, Murfreesboro, Franklin, Nashville, Antioch, and Brentwood.  All of these are surrounding the festival's town.  No matter what, expect a 35+ minute drive to the faire site.  :D  Good luck.

renfairephotog

Here's a thread with some links for camping, hotels.
Henry Horton is a state park and wasn't taking reservations last year.

There are a  lot of places to eat near the I-24 campgrounds. It's off on exit #66 from I-24 the faire is off exit #78.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Dominic_Deegan

Thank you again, everyone!  ;D

That's a bummer that everything is out of the way, but oh well.

BLAKDUKE

Quote from: Dominic_Deegan on March 12, 2009, 10:24:29 AM
Thank you again, everyone!  ;D

That's a bummer that everything is out of the way, but oh well.

You can thank the local county guvmints for that.  They are so afraid that the area will turn into Dollywood which BTW brings in several millions of dollars into its local community.

I have found the I-24 to be the best.  However I would readily advise you to make a reservation.  I had trouble getting a site and I HAD A RESERVATION. 
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Dinobabe

It sounds like someone with a few free acres nearby could make a pretty penny (or the faire, for that matter).  Get a few port-o-privies and a camel and you're set! ;)  That's how we do it at Civil War events!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Jezzy MacPeaks

I-24 Campgrounds is beautiful and has all the amenities you need.  The Rennies have a great time there.  The people who run it are very nice and always happy to see us!  I loved it there, but yeah, it might be difficult to get in...unless you go in, talk to some Rennies and ask if you can share a space!  It'll be easy to find Rennies when you go in.  Just keep to the far left, you'll see them lined up along the fence.  Also, many are camped around the back and in really nice digs around to the right.  And, you'll see many in tents right up front by the office. 
Of course, you'll find them in the laundry room, the store, and sitting outside the office on their laptops! 
Heck, we're everywhere!  *LOL*  It's a wonderful place to stay.  :)  It's also where we held RESCU Rally last year.  Also, there's Chicken Wing night every Tuesday at a local pub, and sometimes, a bunch of us would get together around a campfire and sing.  Thanks, Wayne and Johnny (the pirate)!

Here's some pics of the place:

Pyrate Queen
Costumer, Extraordinaire
Hook'n of Clan M'Crack
Have Blunderbuss, Will Plunder

BLAKDUKE

Quote from: Dinobabe on March 17, 2009, 03:00:24 PM
It sounds like someone with a few free acres nearby could make a pretty penny (or the faire, for that matter).  Get a few port-o-privies and a camel and you're set! ;)  That's how we do it at Civil War events!

Sorry not in the county that the faire is in(Davidson, I think).   Mike Freeman ran into a buzz saw when he had onsite camping for vendors and performers.  the county fathers went ballistic, and he had the amenities that a lot of campgrounds had, flush toilets, showers, etc.  The only thing he did not have was hot and cold running maids for massages(I think Jackie put the kaibosh on that).  This is the county that the town of Franklin is in.  Now it may not look it, but nestled back in the woods are the biggest and grandest homes of some of the biggest names in country music and the county fathers don't want the area to become Dollywood.  the two closest campgrounds that are available
(I-24 and H.Horton) are outside of that county and the county is big enough that any new campground would be as far away as those.   
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Dinobabe

Quote from: BLAKDUKE on March 19, 2009, 10:15:11 AM
Quote from: Dinobabe on March 17, 2009, 03:00:24 PM

Sorry not in the county that the faire is in(Davidson, I think).   Mike Freeman ran into a buzz saw when he had onsite camping for vendors and performers.  the county fathers went ballistic, and he had the amenities that a lot of campgrounds had, flush toilets, showers, etc.  The only thing he did not have was hot and cold running maids for massages(I think Jackie put the kaibosh on that).  This is the county that the town of Franklin is in.  Now it may not look it, but nestled back in the woods are the biggest and grandest homes of some of the biggest names in country music and the county fathers don't want the area to become Dollywood.  the two closest campgrounds that are available
(I-24 and H.Horton) are outside of that county and the county is big enough that any new campground would be as far away as those.   

Too bad.  I don't see the problem in having on-site camping for the duration of the faire only, though?  Snobs. ::)
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Lady Catherine

It's Williamson County, and yes, they are SNOBS!

In Franklin and Spring Hill, the Wal-mart and Lowes had to be painted a certain way, tan. And any sales on the outside of the bulidings( ie lawn and garden) have to be fenced in and covered in black fabric!
Also, no signs for a business can be over a certain height! Try finding something when ALL the signs are 10 ft high! Blech!
2008-2009 cast TNRF
Fishers, GARF, TNRF, ALARF, Fishers, KYHRF and BRISTOL
Coming 2011- Bella the Troll at TNRF!

Dinobabe

Quote from: Lady Catherine on March 19, 2009, 06:32:23 PM
It's Williamson County, and yes, they are SNOBS!

In Franklin and Spring Hill, the Wal-mart and Lowes had to be painted a certain way, tan. And any sales on the outside of the bulidings( ie lawn and garden) have to be fenced in and covered in black fabric!
Also, no signs for a business can be over a certain height! Try finding something when ALL the signs are 10 ft high! Blech!

We have a town nearby that is like that.  And, yes, it is VERY hard to find a business when the sign is buried in the bushes!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com