News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Flasks/Alchohol policy?

Started by Eric the Ugly, March 10, 2009, 06:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric the Ugly

Ok. I've been going to GARF every year since 1988, but this is something I know nothing about at all:

Is there any policy regarding flasks?

Whether there is one or not, has anyone worn an obvious flask on their hip and been stopped at the gate and told that they couldn't enter with it, or anything like that?

To be honest, I've never really paid attention if anyone was wearing a flask nor have I ever noticed anyone taking a swig from one. I'm plannning on buying one as well as a leather belt pouch, and I just wanted to know if I should even bother.

Lady Christina de Pond

Eric i really wouldn't know I don't remember ever seeing anyone with a flask I've seen people with mugs everywhere but flask I've not noticed
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

Eric the Ugly

Yeah, I've seen the glass bottle flasks for sale before. I had wondered if anyone was brave enough to use those, considering as you said, you can see right through them.

Well, if folks aren't being troubled with those, then a round flask in a leather belt pouch probably shouldn't be a problem. :)

LadyDracolich

I carry my flask every year, but it's in a pouch and not out in the open.  So I'm not sure.  I suppose my guess is not to cause problems and no one will say anything.
I don't know what you've heard, none of it is factual, but it's all true.

Eric the Ugly

Quote from: LadyDracolich on March 11, 2009, 09:20:22 PMI suppose my guess is not to cause problems and no one will say anything.

Shoot. Well, there goes my idea of leading a peasant revolt.  :P

stonebiscuit

Quote from: Eric the Ugly on March 12, 2009, 03:44:04 AM
Shoot. Well, there goes my idea of leading a peasant revolt.  :P

That's been done at GARF. :}

As for flasks: carry it in a pouch or a bag and no one will be any the wiser. Or hell, carry two or three in different places, just in case.

Femme Falchion

In my experience discretion is the better part of valor and it's far better to beg forgiveness than ask permission..... ;)
Domina Virago
Grand Mistress of the Order of the Hatchet
Mother Confessor
Sister of the Spring Fires

Manwariel

There is a sign at the entrance that says no outside food or drinks are allowed. I have a picture of a friend standing next to it drinking out of the water bottle she brought.  :P

Eric the Ugly

Quote from: Manwariel on March 18, 2009, 12:37:16 PM
There is a sign at the entrance that says no outside food or drinks are allowed. I have a picture of a friend standing next to it drinking out of the water bottle she brought.  :P

Ha ha!!
Yeah, my buddy always wears his huge waterskin and drinks out of it all day, so he can stay hydrated and not have to pay a super-inflated amount for water. (and, for all they know, he could have beer or wine in it)

captmarga

Hi - I'm from TX, not GA, but I'd like to make a comment if I may.

No outside food/drink restrictions are usually because of TABC laws.  If inside your faire Liquor and Beer are sold, you cannot (legally) bring in alcohol.  Not to say that it isn't done, but just don't get caught.

We do have people in our area that bring in camelbacks, waterskins, botas, and HUGE tankards to drink from.  There are fountains if you can brave the local water, and that's never a problem.

But at the end of the day, if Security sees you tipping back a flask, or you try and exit the gate with mug of liquid in-hand, well, I'd rather avoid any kind of scene.

Hope this helps!

Have fun at GARF!!!

Capt Marga (Scarborough Royal Guard, SRF)
Corp Capt Marga, Dame Den Mother, Scarborough Royal Guard.  Keeper of the Costume Closet.  Artist, Rennie, Etc, etc, etc