News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A "just right" doublet

Started by Eric the Ugly, March 10, 2009, 08:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric the Ugly

Izzit just me or do other guys experience the same extreme frustration finding a doublet that's just right? I don't mean pertaining to fit either. I mean, whatever it is that to you would make it well worth the money and no buyer's remorse and comfort.

I live in Georgia and it can get pretty dang warm during GARF here. Finding something that fits and looks good and is comfortable to wear and doesn't leave you near death because of heat has seemed a nigh impossible task.

Ordering a custom-made doublet drives me batty because of all the measuring and back-and-forth involved. I did it once and I'll probably not do so again. The resultant doublet is great, except that (through my own misunderstanding) it's a bit long. I've had to order a pouch I didn't need that hung low so this doublet wouldn't be over the pouch on my belt. (I don't wear it buttoned, thus I don't wear the belt over it.)

Most of the 'off-the-rack' doublets are over-priced or too boring or too over-the-top and as a result too thick and hot or are any combination of those qualities.

I've spent years on this quest, with seemingly no end in sight. What's more, there's just not enough choice out there. There are probably thousands of folks and companies that make ren garb, but only a few score make doublets at all and even less than that make any that are worth considering. It's a very under-developed section of the ren garb market, it seems. Oh, and color choice. Don't get me started on that. If I have to see that a certain doublet comes in: "Black, blue, forest green, brown and maroon" again I'm gonna take hostages.

The ladies have it so good. There's a F'in' billion makers of bodices out there. We guys should be so lucky.

I've usually reverted to the few lightweight vests I have from Royal Family Clothiers and Purple Unicorn since they're at least lightweight and comfortable. But they're still a bit boring and they're certainly not real doublets.

Can't I just have something off the rack that isn't a mile thick and is an interesting color/pattern and comes in a nice variety of colors (or available colors) and that is preferably not lace-up? Is that too much to ask?

I don't guess I'm really asking for anything specific with this post/thread. Perhaps I'm just ranting. But, I'm sorry, it drives me crazy...

Marietta Graziella

Eric, good man, I have the perfect solution!

Learn to sew!  Yes!  You have a passion for this particular thing and with a little patience you could sew your own doublet to your specifications. 

I'm being neither sarcastic nor funny.   I'm serious.  Many a rennie started out at the same frustrated place as you.  Perhaps you will be the one to crack this market and give the silent sufferers their answer.

I do wish you good fortune in your hunt.
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Dinobabe

I was going to say the exact same thing!  Many men on this forum sew and it's not as hard as some think.  I never cared for the off the rack bodices I saw at faire and so I sew my own!  ;)  It makes them much more unique and as you learn you can make little changes that are just right for you.  Good luck!  ;D
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Eric the Ugly

It is a valid answer to the problem, yes.

But that sort of activity isn't for me, unfortunately. In many things I'm patient. (In fact, one of my good friends once said in reference to me: "That man's as patient as a dead god!") But in other matters, patience is a mortal enemy. This would undoubtedly be one of those things.  :P

In short, I wish I could just throw up my hands and say: "Well, if no one else will... I will!" But I fear this is not to be insofar as doublets.
Most times, I just want to have something done and behind me and out of the scope of my worry. I'm the kind of guy that would far prefer to have food be small, tasteless little soapbar-sized blocks of sustinence, rather than "wasting my time" heating something in a microwave or worse, having to cook something. Even more important, I'd be done eating quicker so I could get back to something else that's actually enjoyable.
But I'm a loon like that.

DonaCatalina

The other alternative solution:

Marry a woman who will sew for you.
;)

Most people who make their own garb got into for the reasons you outlined.
They wanted better quality, better fit,specific styles and reasonable cost for better materials.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Eric the Ugly

Heh heh! That may be an even better solution! Unfortunately for me, I think it would prove even more difficult than sewing. ;D

gem

I'm with MG and Dinobabe.  The solution when you can't find what you want is to make it yourself.  Otherwise you'll just keep on being frustrated....

VIII

Check out the local fabric stores for a bulletin board and look for people who will sew for you.  Most of them are doing it as a way of keeping busy and will, more than likely, not charge you an arm and a leg.  Be sure to ask for examples of their work, either the clothing or photos.

Another good place is an Art or Fashion school.  Students will make it for you and Customer Satisfaction is a part of their grade.

Finally, ask around for family and friends with Mom's and Grandma's that sew as a hobby.

I'm one of those lucky guys who learned to sew at their Mama's knee on an old treadle Singer.  I even draft my own patterns.
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

Eric the Ugly

I s'pose I do need to find someone who knows how to sew well. It looks like that's the most sensible solution. *sigh*
Oh, if only Moresca understood how hot it gets here in GA. I love their stuff, especially the Landschect jerkin, but oh, boy is that baby thick as heck. I'm sure that would be hot, hot, hot.

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Eric the Ugly on March 10, 2009, 01:28:49 PM
I s'pose I do need to find someone who knows how to sew well. It looks like that's the most sensible solution. *sigh*
Oh, if only Moresca understood how hot it gets here in GA. I love their stuff, especially the Landschect jerkin, but oh, boy is that baby thick as heck. I'm sure that would be hot, hot, hot.

Why not give Lady Kathleen a try then. I'm sure she could do something in a jazzed up linen.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Thanks for the mention Dona Catalina.

Linen is a great solution to the heat of Georgia or a Cotton in the midweight range.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Rani Zemirah

You could always visit a few of the cooler weather Faires, also, where you would be nice and comfy in your thicker doublet! Garb is not a static thing, and everyone should have choices... particularly when it comes to things like laces...   :D
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

DonaCatalina

You may not can tell from this photo, but this doublet is linen. Linen doesn't have to be boring
or peasant garb.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Eric the Ugly

That's interesting. But I'd be concerned that the material would be a bit too...hmm...loose and lax...

I dig my linen sport coats and all, but I dunno.

I'd be a-ok with a nice cotton twill, really. 'Brushed' is what I believe they call the cotton twill that's really soft to the touch. Is that right? I like that material.
But I think my main source of irritation is wanting something I can just order size X and color n and be done. Only, while there are indeed options out there for that, they are always of the lace-up variety (understandable with the standard sizes, I know) and of very, very few color choices as well as having no 'character' to them (basic, solid colors with no guarding or trim, etc.).

Rani Zemirah

Eric, maybe you should look for some fabric you like, then ship it off to whichever seamstress you find to make it for you? I just ordered my new bodice from someone on here, and I can't wait! You'd have to find someone to help you take your measurements, but a little work for something you'll use for years isn't really too much trouble, right?
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Eric the Ugly

Rani,
I guess that's what I'll have to do. But I'll have to do it some other time, when I can concentrate on it. Right now I'm too busy and spending money on things that will actually arrive before GARF. If I was to custom order something now, I'd just be highly irritated that I wouldn't have it for GARF. I'll probably start a process for something like this in late summer or very early autumn so I don't have to worry about it and I don't have to stare at the completed item for forever in anticipatory anxiety of GARF...

jcbanner

Quote from: Eric the Ugly on March 14, 2009, 09:19:59 AM

But I think my main source of irritation is wanting something I can just order size X and color n and be done. Only, while there are indeed options out there for that, they are always of the lace-up variety (understandable with the standard sizes, I know) and of very, very few color choices as well as having no 'character' to them (basic, solid colors with no guarding or trim, etc.).

If the problem is that you can't find something with enough character, maybe you could try finding one you would like as the start of a garment and once you have it in hand, add or hire someone you know to add trim and other extras that you like as well as any other modifications.   

Sure, its easiest to add trim when first constructing something, but its not too hard to add on top of a finished garment.

Eric the Ugly

That's very true. In fact, I'm already planning on doing some very modest "dressing up" of two of my vests from Purple Unicorn. However, even though doing something similar to a doublet would indeed add some personality to it, there's still the problem of the basic boring colors that the doublet(s) come in, as well as the fabric types. There's a lot to be said for texture. Most of the bog-standard doublets are just that, bog-standard. Perhaps some symmetrical 'patches' of something like corduroy or whatever would be in order.

It's worth considering I suppose.

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: DonaCatalina on March 10, 2009, 01:36:16 PM
Quote from: Eric the Ugly on March 10, 2009, 01:28:49 PM

Why not give Lady Kathleen a try then. I'm sure she could do something in a jazzed up linen.

I agree.  She made 2 doublets for my husband, who is a big guy, and they fit him like a dream.  Her work is exquisite, too.  One doublet was for noble garb and the other was a nice twill, perfect for the 100+ degrees in the Midwest in the summer.

A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Rani Zemirah

Quote from: Eric the Ugly on March 15, 2009, 07:43:11 PM
Rani,
I guess that's what I'll have to do. But I'll have to do it some other time, when I can concentrate on it. Right now I'm too busy and spending money on things that will actually arrive before GARF. If I was to custom order something now, I'd just be highly irritated that I wouldn't have it for GARF. I'll probably start a process for something like this in late summer or very early autumn so I don't have to worry about it and I don't have to stare at the completed item for forever in anticipatory anxiety of GARF...

It is difficult to sit and look at new garb without being able to actually wear it somewhere!  LOL  I'm having trouble waiting for my new bodice, and I just sent the fabric off last week!

Good luck in your quest!!!
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede