News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A "just right" doublet

Started by Eric the Ugly, March 10, 2009, 08:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric the Ugly

Rani,
I guess that's what I'll have to do. But I'll have to do it some other time, when I can concentrate on it. Right now I'm too busy and spending money on things that will actually arrive before GARF. If I was to custom order something now, I'd just be highly irritated that I wouldn't have it for GARF. I'll probably start a process for something like this in late summer or very early autumn so I don't have to worry about it and I don't have to stare at the completed item for forever in anticipatory anxiety of GARF...

jcbanner

Quote from: Eric the Ugly on March 14, 2009, 09:19:59 AM

But I think my main source of irritation is wanting something I can just order size X and color n and be done. Only, while there are indeed options out there for that, they are always of the lace-up variety (understandable with the standard sizes, I know) and of very, very few color choices as well as having no 'character' to them (basic, solid colors with no guarding or trim, etc.).

If the problem is that you can't find something with enough character, maybe you could try finding one you would like as the start of a garment and once you have it in hand, add or hire someone you know to add trim and other extras that you like as well as any other modifications.   

Sure, its easiest to add trim when first constructing something, but its not too hard to add on top of a finished garment.

Eric the Ugly

That's very true. In fact, I'm already planning on doing some very modest "dressing up" of two of my vests from Purple Unicorn. However, even though doing something similar to a doublet would indeed add some personality to it, there's still the problem of the basic boring colors that the doublet(s) come in, as well as the fabric types. There's a lot to be said for texture. Most of the bog-standard doublets are just that, bog-standard. Perhaps some symmetrical 'patches' of something like corduroy or whatever would be in order.

It's worth considering I suppose.

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: DonaCatalina on March 10, 2009, 01:36:16 PM
Quote from: Eric the Ugly on March 10, 2009, 01:28:49 PM
I s'pose I do need to find someone who knows how to sew well. It looks like that's the most sensible solution. *sigh*
Oh, if only Moresca understood how hot it gets here in GA. I love their stuff, especially the Landschect jerkin, but oh, boy is that baby thick as heck. I'm sure that would be hot, hot, hot.

Why not give Lady Kathleen a try then. I'm sure she could do something in a jazzed up linen.

I agree.  She made 2 doublets for my husband, who is a big guy, and they fit him like a dream.  Her work is exquisite, too.  One doublet was for noble garb and the other was a nice twill, perfect for the 100+ degrees in the Midwest in the summer.

A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Rani Zemirah

Quote from: Eric the Ugly on March 15, 2009, 07:43:11 PM
Rani,
I guess that's what I'll have to do. But I'll have to do it some other time, when I can concentrate on it. Right now I'm too busy and spending money on things that will actually arrive before GARF. If I was to custom order something now, I'd just be highly irritated that I wouldn't have it for GARF. I'll probably start a process for something like this in late summer or very early autumn so I don't have to worry about it and I don't have to stare at the completed item for forever in anticipatory anxiety of GARF...

It is difficult to sit and look at new garb without being able to actually wear it somewhere!  LOL  I'm having trouble waiting for my new bodice, and I just sent the fabric off last week!

Good luck in your quest!!!
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede