News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

"The Tudors"

Started by Dinobabe, March 10, 2009, 11:44:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinobabe

I don't have Showtime so I can only judge from previews but the show looks a bit over dramatic and longing for historic (besides the whole it's a TV show license).  Has anybody here watched it?  What do you think?  Would it be worth renting if anything just as a good show to watch?
Thanks!  ;)
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Master James

I own both seasons and enjoyed it.  Yes it IS lacking in the historical issues from costuming (mostly Elizabethan with some medieval thrown in for good measure but no Henrican) to carriages (they used a moder Amish buggy complete with leaf springs) in the first season.  That however has changed a bit in the second season where the costuming is much more correct, though not completely and the carriages look right.  And yes they take some historical issues and twist them to fit with what they want like the fact the Henry was not 20 something when he married Anne Boleyn and other little things.  If you ignore all of this however and just enjoy the show, its quite engaging and very enjoyable.  I would give it a 7.5 on the entertainment scale and a 3 on the historically accurate scale out of 10.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Athena

There's a discussion about the show over in the Books/Movies forum...

http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=832.0

I've got season one in my Netflix queue, that's the best way to go for those who don't have Showtime.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Peddlin

I have seen the first two seasons, and I found them both most enjoyable. A little license was taken, (and the age thing is a little weird) but not enough to deter from the story.
Peddlin M'Crack
Countess of Tyrone
Ette
IWG #3790, Local 96

Lady Gwyndolyn

I own both seasons on DVD... and dispite all that has been said about it.. I really like watching it.  My biggest thing is the costumes...  I don't know if anyone else noticed this or not, but Anne Bolyn wears 2 of the same costumes that Elizabeth wore in "Elizabeth the Virgin Queen" by Masterpiece Theater ( I own it also ).  The dresses are exact. Then there is a black and white one that she wears while riding that looks like the dress from "Elizabeth" with Cate Blanchett. 

It is in no way Historically Accurate.  But they never claimed that it was going to be historically accurate.  What I like is that more and more people are coming to faire because of it!!!

Lady Gwyndolyn
Duchess of Kearsley

Master James

I own both of those movies so I'm going to have to go and look for those dresses now.  And yes there are a LOT of people that are now coming to faire as a result and that is great!
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Dinobabe

So, it looks like I'll give it a try!  Thanks everyone!  ;)
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Dayna

They ARE the same dresses, all of them.  I was in contact with some of the people who did the costuming, by way of a Yahoo Group, there were tons of costume "issues" which have to some extent been corrected.

I tried watching it, however a certain activity occurring in the first few minutes of episode 1, combined with the incredible anachronisms, made it impossible for me to enjoy it.  That's just me, I was raised on BBC, Lynn Redgrave, Glenda Jackson, etc. 

Dayna
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

Jezzy MacPeaks

I have season I and want to get season II.  I loved the first one.  I don't have Showtime, so I'm hoping to acquire the second season SOON!

I must say I do enjoy "The Tudors" far more than I did the movie, "The Other Boleyn Girl"!  That movie was horrible, IMO, but the costumes were FAB-O, with the exception that in nearly every scene, both girls wore the same design, but in different colors!  I'm guessing that was intentional with some reason behind it?  Like the audience was too retarded to understand that the two girls were supposed to be sisters?  Duhhh!
Pyrate Queen
Costumer, Extraordinaire
Hook'n of Clan M'Crack
Have Blunderbuss, Will Plunder

Lady Gwyndolyn

I do think the second season was much better than the first season... However I balled like a baby when they did the executions... especially Ann Bolyns...

I have found some things are accurate to history however a great deal of it is not.  But it is very entertaining and I really like watching it... 
Lady Gwyndolyn
Duchess of Kearsley

Jezzy MacPeaks

Oh...now I have to get the second season set.  I knew that was coming, but you always hold out hope that it will be avoided somehow!  *lol*
Pyrate Queen
Costumer, Extraordinaire
Hook'n of Clan M'Crack
Have Blunderbuss, Will Plunder

LadyElizabeth

I adore the show, but not for the accuracy in any respect!  The costumes and plot are not accurate really at all, but it's extremely entertaining!!  As for costumes being the same, that's true of alot of femal gowns of the renaissance/elizabethan/medieval for TV and movies.  There's a website that tracks the garb and where it's reused...

I love anything on that period.  The other boleyn girl was a bit too far off, but a bit entertaining still... 

I own both seasons, but don't have showtime, so only see them after they've been syndicated!

I'm right now watching Elizabeth R, the BBC version for the first time and am loving it!  THe costuming is amazingly accurate as well as the plot!!  I've seen no fabrication or stretching of the truth thus far, it seems to be the most accurate of any TV/movie production I've ever seen!!
Queen Elizabeth the 1st
Champagne the Bubbly
Bubbles the Fairy
Frost the Arctic Barbarian
Red the pirate

Macintyre

After watching some of the bonus features, it's actually alittle more historically correct than some of you guys give it credit for. 

LadyElizabeth

I've read a boat load of books on the time period and I'd say about maybe 50-60% of the material is correct... well that's my best guess.  The first season is the most inaccurate of the two, but still...  And as for the garb, truly, it is probably about the same percent correct or so...
Queen Elizabeth the 1st
Champagne the Bubbly
Bubbles the Fairy
Frost the Arctic Barbarian
Red the pirate

irish

I just love the show. The costumes are so beautiful and I am getting a few ideas for this years garb.
Now, if ole Henry did look like Johnathan Rhys-Meyers.. ::)...who could blame the ladies for being at his feet??  :P
irish
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)