News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Bring Back The Trebuchets

Started by Craigmeister, August 06, 2009, 07:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craigmeister

I think that the last Renfest I could watch working trebuchets has gone the way of King Arthur.  It was on a high school campus.  I think that the high insurance liability costs have run trebuchets away from other nearby venues.  Have you seen a trebuchet in action?  They are a thing of beauty!

I'm trying to figure out how to get some Renfests around Oklahoma to bring them back.  Does anyone have an idea how I can get the ball rolling again?  Could I start a petition to give to the organizers of local Renfests?

I would think that if a festival roped off an area next to their grounds where they could set up a target or launch projectiles into a pond, it would be deemed safe by insurance companies.  I know that several high school teachers & professors around here love to show off their trebuchets.  I don't think that it costs lots of money to bring one to a Renfest.

Is it a lot harder than this?  Is there something I'm missing?  I remember that large crowds would gather to watch trebuchets in action.  They are definitely a crowd pleaser.
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

Noble Dreg

Quote from: Craigmeister on August 06, 2009, 07:21:52 AM
...I remember that large crowds would gather to watch trebuchets in action...

I believe that is the problem.  Was at a Ren-Fest where they launched a watermelon into the side of a hill, well that was the intent anyway.  It went near straight up and slightly backwords.  Of course the crowd "Oooood and Awwwed" but I don't think the site owners were so thrilled.  Still was pretty darn cool!
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

AnnMarie B

My husband very much wants to make a Roman Ballistae (giant crossbow) out at his dad's farm. He would need a lot of room to safely operate it, and I guess we'd have to find a way to keep the cows at bay, or that could get really messy  :o
Phoenix Risen

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: AnnMarie B on August 06, 2009, 09:11:53 AM
My husband very much wants to make a Roman Ballistae (giant crossbow) out at his dad's farm. He would need a lot of room to safely operate it, and I guess we'd have to find a way to keep the cows at bay, or that could get really messy  :o

If you cannot keep the cattle at bay - maybe a steak fry ?
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

lady M

Quote from: GoodyTombShoes on August 06, 2009, 08:56:08 AM
I'm still working on my handheld trebuchet for flinging marshmallows....

Now that sounds like a lot of fun.  ;D

Noble Dreg

Quote from: Gauwyn of Brocknell on August 06, 2009, 11:51:12 AM

I think "Kabob" would be a bit more descriptive.   ;D
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Noble Dreg on August 06, 2009, 12:41:49 PM
Quote from: Gauwyn of Brocknell on August 06, 2009, 11:51:12 AM

I think "Kabob" would be a bit more descriptive.   ;D

That would require some LARGE vegggies  :D
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

AnnMarie B

Yummy- oops- I mean- no way would I do such a thing  ;D
Phoenix Risen

DeadBishop

I have a small trebuchet that's capable of launching large marshmallows across the lane from my booth.  Great way to get people's attention! :)

R/F.com member since 2003

Sir William Marcus

Quote from: Deadbishop on August 06, 2009, 11:07:59 PM
I have a small trebuchet that's capable of launching large marshmallows

You know I have several of those as well. Try launching flaming charcoal briquettes at people if you really want their attention 
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Craigmeister

The largest trebuchets I have witnessed in action were at the Oklahoma Renfest.  They were about 20' high.  They used to launch concrete bowling balls across the jousting field.  They quit using them when they built a structure at the other end of the field.  It seems that there is a camping area to the west of the grounds that they could move a bit, rope off & unleash a trebuchet on.  It would be quite an alluring spectacle.

The Bridgewater Renfest in Baxter Springs, KS launched water balloons for several years at targets at first.  Three years ago, they were hurling fruit across a different area.  Unfortunately, I believe this Renfest is now history.

Does anyone know of working trebs between Denver, Kansas City and Houston?  I have heard that the S.C.A. uses them in some of their battles.
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

Woodland Artisan

As it always does, it comes down to money.  The insurance is completely outrageous.

I've built several small ones in the past few years (under 10' tall) and even took my little "Scrapwood Treb" (about 3 feet tall that launches tennis balls and "flaming balls 'o death" about 100 feet) to a few faires last year just as a display-only attention grabber for the merchant booth and play-thing for afterhours and days off.

Now, I've made 2 large ones for a couple of people and looked into the logistics, costs (ie insurance and travel) to build one of the large ones for myself and take it to a renfaire.  I got a couple of nibbles from some renfaires but the vast majority, when given the space, security, etc. requirements just weren't all that interested.   They liked the idea ... just not the reality.  I finally FINALLY got an insurance agent to (tentatively) quote me a price.  $2700 per fling and tons of conditions.  'Nuff said, said I.

There have been other discussions in the past (maybe on the old board?) on this same topic.  A Florida faire does this, I think.  You might want to talk with those folks.

Adriana Rose

They had some at the Ravenshire festival last year. I think they used bowling balls and sacks of flour.

They were really cool! The only down side was that it was aimed toward the little camp ground but since there was no one in the camp during the day it was all cool..

Craigmeister

Someone is indeed trying to bring back the trebuchets.  Huzzah!  Does anyone know of a working trebuchet that could be donated to the Four Winds Faire near Tyler, TX?  The owner said that he would be happy to have & use one.  I'm sure he could transport it if it weren't too far away.