News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

"The Tudors"

Started by Dinobabe, March 10, 2009, 11:44:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friar Rohn the Chronicler

I know, I got tired of all the "sex", too.  Why was it necessary?  They didn't think the actors or the storyline would be enough to hold anyone's interest?  I felt it was cheap of them to do that so much, yet, I LOVED the show!  If I could get an "edited" version, I would enjoy it even more, I think. 

I thought that it was a good (if somewhat incorrect at times) series based on history the judgements made back then effect us and our laws to this day. How I edited them....I have a den full of networked computers. I converted them into a easy digital format to work with, deleted the scenes and patched them back together again. It only was about 5-7 scenes through both seasons. I left the few swear words in mainly because my brother is a fire captain and his kids hear combinations that would make a sailor blush (even though I've never heard anyone of the three cuss in my presence).

They really should have given themselves more credit than that.  I'm not a prude, but I felt it was overly done.
Glad to hear that II isn't plagued with so much of it.

It's pay per view TV, got to have that shock value I guess.

I love Henry's doublets, too!  Very nicely done! Of course, the gowns are beautiful. 

The doublets were a big influence on my nephew's 2009 garb made by Lady Kathleen of Olmsted.

I've been looking at the "livery collars".  The large chain necklace type pieces the men are wearing.  I would love to start making some of those!  I'm thinking on it a lot, actually.

I was also looking for some time for a unusual piece for him to wear. I wanted it to be different, masculine and elegant without a lot of cabochons and fake pearls. Noble class but not Royalty is what we look for. I found this piece from a estate sale out of Suffolk, England. Every once in a while you find a gold nugget on eBay.

Friar Rohn

Jezzy MacPeaks

Very nice piece!  Nicely done, not overly ornate.  Excellent choice.

Sometimes, I wish I had a way of editing some movies, but it's pretty much the norm now, isn't it?  It was good of you to edit them so the kids could watch, too.  :)
Pyrate Queen
Costumer, Extraordinaire
Hook'n of Clan M'Crack
Have Blunderbuss, Will Plunder

princess farcical

Quote from: LadyElizabeth on March 18, 2009, 01:17:55 PM
You are most certainly right that his father Henry VII did start the Tudor dynasty, but his son made it flourish and made it famous...  Henry VII spent his years on his throne just trying to keep the throne and make it more stable.  Unless Henry VIII were as flamboyant in his marriages and then his good choice in listing his daughters as heir to his throne, England would not be the place it is today!!!  It was not at all precedented to have a woman on the throne, so that alone made history!!! 

Actually (and totally off-topic), England had a few ruling/sovereign Queens before Elizabeth I, one of the most notable being Emma of Normandy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encomium_Emmae

(It seems like I'm just posting this to correct you - I promise I'm not - Emma was one of my favorite Queens.  Just couldn't resist sharing the love!)

Actually, okay, I need to edit this - she wasn't technically sovereign in her own right; she did wield an unprecedented lot of power.  Still, though, if you love powerful English Queens, she was the Great Grandmother of them all!

/threadjack

VIII

Quote from: Friar Rohn the Chronicler on March 20, 2009, 09:28:51 PMI found this piece from a estate sale out of Suffolk, England. Every once in a while you find a gold nugget on eBay.Friar Rohn
I'll take it.  Just package up that li'l puppy and mail it to:
King Henry VIII
Scarborough Faire
PO Box 538
Waxahachie, TX 75168
;D
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

DonaCatalina

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Zardoz

Quote from: Friar Rohn the Chronicler on March 20, 2009, 09:28:51 PM
I know, I got tired of all the "sex", too.  Why was it necessary?  They didn't think the actors or the storyline would be enough to hold anyone's interest?  I felt it was cheap of them to do that so much, yet, I LOVED the show!  If I could get an "edited" version, I would enjoy it even more, I think. 

I thought that it was a good (if somewhat incorrect at times) series based on history the judgements made back then effect us and our laws to this day. How I edited them....I have a den full of networked computers. I converted them into a easy digital format to work with, deleted the scenes and patched them back together again. It only was about 5-7 scenes through both seasons. I left the few swear words in mainly because my brother is a fire captain and his kids hear combinations that would make a sailor blush (even though I've never heard anyone of the three cuss in my presence).

They really should have given themselves more credit than that.  I'm not a prude, but I felt it was overly done.
Glad to hear that II isn't plagued with so much of it.

It's pay per view TV, got to have that shock value I guess.

So ... I guess y'all must not watch too much other Showtime programming?  If you think The Tudors has too much sex and nudity, for your own safety avoid watching Californication or The L Word at all costs!  ;)
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Friar Rohn the Chronicler

Quote from: VIII on March 31, 2009, 11:41:23 AM
I'll take it.  Just package up that li'l puppy and mail it to:

We plan on being down there for one or two weekends and I doubt you will miss him in his new togs designed by Lady Kathleen of Omsted. He's just 11 years old and you could probably "take him down and beat him like a baby seal" for the collar except he will be the most heavily armed child strolling 'round there. The crossbow will be "peace tied" but he did shoot one of the bolts through a car door (yes....he was supervised). Funny thing is, the last time we went to a Castle function, I was running 'round doing my usual photog stuff and someone tried to trade him "the amount of money for 3 playstation games" for his tankard. Good thing the kid knew how much it was really worth and didn't bite. We tended to purchase unusual items as accessories for his garb and we had been looking for some time for a different style of Chains of Office. There was a small bidding war during the last couple of seconds of the auction but the other guy was a reseller and I usually put a reserve bid in the sniping program for any item at $1,000. I loved the way those looked and it fits the Spanish nobleman style we where shooting for.

Friar Rohn

Damien Ryan

This is by far my favorite tv show ever, i cant even count the amount of times iv watched the DVD's...really a must buy for any ren fan.

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Quote from: Damien Ryan on August 10, 2009, 10:33:08 AM
really a must buy for any ren fan.

I would have to disagree as this series is so far out in left field as to accurate it's not even funny. It drove me crazy trying to watch the 1st three CD's of it. The names are inaccurate as is the timeline. Henry's yougest sister was Not Margeret but Mary. mary married James of Scotland and produced Mary Queen of Scots. The youngest sister did not marry an old king from Portugal, but an old king from France. She did not kill him, he died 3 months into their marriage. Mary came back and married Charles brandon wand they had children who produced Lady Jane gray the 9 days Queen. Katherine of Aragon did not have black hair, she had fair hair reddish in color. King henry was a giant of a man at 6' 2 " tall and was a large man and grew fat in time. John Rhyes Myers is better suited to... well nobody as he is small and whimpy.

I'm sorry but I am a renaissance fan and a slight historian. If you want a good series on King Henry get the BBC The 6 Wives of Henry the VIII, Or many others but avoid that lame eccuse of history wrote more like a stupid afternnon soap opera with slightly better budget than what really happened called the Tudors.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Dayna

I am in complete agreement with Lady de Laney, I could not make it past the second episode without raising my blood pressure to dangerous levels.  Complete and Utter Rubbish!!!  That being said, I enjoy a good game of "spot the anachronism" as well as the next person, however this was "try to spot anything remotely correct".

Complete agreement, the 6 wives or Elizabeth R.

Dayna Thomas
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

Zardoz

Y'all remind me of some of my lesbian friends that always complained that the girls in 'The L Word' (also on Showtime) were all "too good looking"!  It's a TV Show! On Showtime! That's what they do !  ::)   The L Word was plagued with all that nudity and sex too, but no complaints about that! :D
IBRSC# 1619,

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

The L word was not about history. It was a bunch of made up characters in a real world situtation that happens everyday to hundreds if not thousands of women.

The Tudors is based on Historyy... a History we all know or should know and is so far wrong it's not even fun to watch. At least braveheart when we all saw it had some WOW factor. That factor went to hell when everyone fond out the reality of it all. not that Braveheart isn't good, but it's of a character and events that are far less documented. No one except maybe a Scotsman or someone who loved the Scots had ever heard of William Wallace,, but King Henry and his 6 wives especially Anne Boleyn? I think we all have a clearer picture of him and his wives and the time he lived in as King Henry changed England and put them on the map of power.

So no no complaints of a fact story based on real life siturations but tons of a real life event of documented facts or real people and the people they were and what happened to them and it all being wrong and twisted to the point it's hard to enjoy it, at least for me even as entertainment goes.

I think anyone would get just as mad if a Story about our 1st President was played by Jackie Chan and how George invented Kung Fu and his wifes name was not Margrette but Michelle and he really wasn't our 1st president but out 1st Catholic Bishop. it would be poppy dim bulb and rubbish not even funny, unless of course it was put on as a comedy and then it would still not be good.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Zardoz

As you say, "based on history"  Going in, I did not expect The Tudors to be any more accurate history-wise than, to use your example Braveheart! (or 'Elizabeth' if you like)  Just as I knew Braveheart was crap as history, it didn't keep me from enjoying it, it's an exciting film!   Same with the Tudors, we know Tudor history, hell my wife is related to the Stuarts! But, just seeing the preveiws, it was plain they were not making a documentary!  It's a soap opera that loosely uses names and events from the Tudor era, that most veiwers have heard of, for dramatic effect.  More historical facts would just make it dull and confusing to the aveage veiwer, hell there would be 4 characters named Mary in the first few episodes!  But it still has pretty settings, costumes, and people, so we enjoy watching it.  My wife thinks all the guys are cute, and I have fun discussing the more glaring errors and commenting on how old or fat the characters should be etc... so that stuff actually adds to it for us.
IBRSC# 1619,

Damien Ryan

Im completeley shocked people do not like this, who cares if everything is not historically accurate, neither are most "based on true story" tv shows and movies, its entertainment and damn good at that.

Lady Penelope

I agree. I don't understand why people get truly upset or angry at movies/tv shows that are not totally historically accurate.
If they wanted these shows and movies to be historically accurate they would state that. They are made by the entertainment industry. They are meant to be viewed as entertainment.