News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Ugh! Sterotypes!

Started by Dracconia, May 16, 2008, 08:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracconia

Ok..does anyone else run into this problem?
*Sets up scene*

"What do you do?"

"Oh I am a hostess, a student and I work Renaissance Faires. You?"

"Renaissance Faires??? You like hanging out with all those long haired hippies?"

(where it says long haired hippies please feel free to inseret, drunks, crazy people, witches, Satanists...and oh so many other things)

If anyone else comes across this ...problem...how do you deal with it...because I am begining to think that I should indugle them all, dress naked and do a moon dance dripping in rum with a long haired hippie....*sighs*
In short....ARGH!
PR ~Faire Daughter~
Shake-N-Bake

beeboy

"yes i love hanging with them long haired hippies"

VIII

When someone asks, "You like hanging out with all those long-haired hippies/ drunks/ crazy-people/ witches/ Satanists?"

I smile and look them straight in the eyes and reply, "I AM one of those long-haired hippies/ drunks/ crazy-people/ witches/ Satanists!"  Once they look shocked/ disgusted/ disbelieving, I invite them to one of our dress-naked-and-do-a-moon-dance-dripping-in-rum-with-a-long-haired-hippie events.

Then they REALLY want to come!
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

lady serena

I have had people say that to me and my reply is, "How would you know who goes or whats there unless you've already have been there, and if you have already been there then you know that it is nothing like you say it is. So then when do you want to go again because I'm going this weekend and I want to know if you want to ride share?" That usually shuts them up or sends them away wondering what's up at the renaissance faires, and I have had people come back and ask me if they could actually come along.
Guppy # 81
Fins up

Hospitaller

Quote from: Dracconia on May 16, 2008, 08:19:39 AM
...because I am begining to think that I should indugle them all, dress naked and do a moon dance dripping in rum with a long haired hippie....*sighs*
In short....ARGH!

*Holds hand up to re-live long-haired hippy days with Dacconia* ;D

Seriously, I've only had that happen once; probably because I'm in upper management, plus an active member of the local theater and quite well known in the community. But when it did, I merely went into 'Scots' mode (6'3" red-head, isn't much of a stretch, LOL) and sent them away wondering what the heck just happened

DonaCatalina

There are 'long-haired hippies/ drunks/ crazy-people/ witches/ Satanists' at the renfaire?
Wow, I've never noticed. How do you spot them so easily?
::)
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Cobaltblu

Well aren't there actually quite a few drunk people, long haired people (men and women), and witches (wiccans) at renaissance faires?

I don't know about crazy people (maybe).

I haven't seen or know of satanists though.

I would say those people almost have the right idea actually.

On a side note aren't most renaissance characters based on stereotypes?  I actually like stereotypes since they are quick and easy things for the actors to portray which get the audience involved and to help them understand what your character is.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Dracconia

Quote from: Hospitaller on May 16, 2008, 11:15:02 AM
Quote from: Dracconia on May 16, 2008, 08:19:39 AM
...because I am begining to think that I should indugle them all, dress naked and do a moon dance dripping in rum with a long haired hippie....*sighs*
In short....ARGH!

*Holds hand up to re-live long-haired hippy days with Dacconia* ;D

Hehehee....well then when is the next full moon? ;)
PR ~Faire Daughter~
Shake-N-Bake

Amyj

I usually just fix them with a withering "are you the window licker on the short bus?" stare, blink a few times and then sigh deeply.  Then after a pause, I invite them to come to faire so they can see just how wrong the information they have obviously gotten from an uninfomed source is.  Sometimes this takes explaining in detail what exactly faire really is (and focussing on the perks they would most likely appreciate...rum, wenches, shopping, music, etc. to peak their interest).  So far, this has only failed to work on one person, but she is hopeless, won't try new things to save her life!
I'm not fat, it's just that a skinny body couldn't hold ALL THIS PERSONALITY! ;)
Historically Accur-ISH

Hoowil

Just say you'd "love it you could hang out with those long-haired/drunk/hippie/satanists, but that they're all too scared of you."
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Blushing

I get all KINDS of reactions when people at work find out I work and play at faires (I'm known as the shy quiet one at work - don't know where that came from!) ... but after talking with me about it, I usually convince them that they should come out and see what it is before making a snap judgement.  Of course, I also point out all the wrong - negative stereotypes about journalists.  That helps too.
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

groomporter

Actually its "long-haired, pot-smokin', daughter-stealin', rennie-hippie-freaks."  ;D
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

hey this reminds me, once i was at this ladys house and she seen this little tattoo on my lower right leg and she said OH MY GOD you have a tattoo, what were you DRUNK! (whatever) do you have to be drunk to get a tattoo? :o
MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

Hoowil

Quote from: groomporter on May 17, 2008, 08:32:56 AM
Actually its "long-haired, pot-smokin', daughter-stealin', rennie-hippie-freaks."  ;D
Sounds like something from an Arlo Guthrie song..
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

GirlChris

It's kind of interesting- there aren't really any stereotypes about rennies up in Canada. Oh sure, we HAVE the "long-haired, pot-smokin', daughter-stealin', rennie-hippie-freaks," but people don't ASSUME they'll be there. More often than not, people don't even know what a faire is. When I mention I do faires, I get one of four reactions:

a) I have gone and enjoyed it
b) I wanted to go, but didn't that close? (There was really only one Faire in Canada for about 10 years- it closed and average joes never heard of all the smaller ones that have popped up since then)
c) So it's like Disneyland, but medieval?
d) So it's like a living history museum, but not educational?