News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Ugh! Sterotypes!

Started by Dracconia, May 16, 2008, 08:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ginette

My boss had gone to a wedding that was held at a faire about a month ago with his family. He was trying to get out of going but his wife wasn't having it so he went. That Monday I asked him about it and he rambled off a few people he saw and then I reply with the people's chatecter name and as much as I know about that person. I got a goofy look from him and he ask how I know this and I have to explain to him that I might not go to as many faires as I would like, I am a rennie though and take pride in that.

This same boss has walked up on my many times while working on cutting out sewing pattens for garb asked what I was doing all while I was sitting at my desk.

Weddings & Events at Sherwood Forest Faire.
PR for life!

Whistler Fred

Quote from: LADY JOYCEANNE on May 17, 2008, 11:00:17 AM
hey this reminds me, once i was at this ladys house and she seen this little tattoo on my lower right leg and she said OH MY GOD you have a tattoo, what were you DRUNK! (whatever) do you have to be drunk to get a tattoo? :o

In my case, considering my totally wussiness when it comes to needles, probably yes! ;)

I've gotten very little stereotyping when it comes to my participation with ren faires, although I've gotten some odd looks while visiting the local Dunkin Donuts in garb.
Whistler Fred (Lauritzen)

"Get ready for the Whistler.  I'll whistle along on the seventh day."  Ian Anderson

Hoowil

Quote from: Whistler Fred on May 17, 2008, 08:24:15 PM

I've gotten very little stereotyping when it comes to my participation with ren faires, although I've gotten some odd looks while visiting the local Dunkin Donuts in garb.

Years and years ago, in my wild days of youth, I was the only one sober enough to drive on the second morning of a long SCA event, so I got to go to the store for more rum. It was me, another guy, and a young lady, I have no idea thier names (society or mundane) anymore. We got the looks that probably spawned many stereotypes when between the three of use all we bought was nearly $200 in rum, $100 in cigarettes,  and $50 in condoms.. in garb, and all armed to the teeth (I was working as a merc on a pirate ship at the time)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Terry Griffith

Wait a minute.  You mean you talk to people who aren't long haired, drunken hippies?  At least underneath their facade?
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

Dracconia

Quote from: Terry Griffith on May 18, 2008, 01:03:54 AM
Wait a minute.  You mean you talk to people who aren't long haired, drunken hippies?  At least underneath their facade?

Nope...they talk to me....quite annoying actually!  ::)
PR ~Faire Daughter~
Shake-N-Bake

Drake Starsong

I find most people disregard the comment like I never said it at all...its like..so what are your hobbies? Oh..reading fantasy novels, archery and sword play....trying to calm myself after watching Robin Hood: Prince of Theives because kevin costner ISN'T ENGLISH....going to renaissance festivals...playing dungeons and dragons...the usual

Response..

::silence::

So...uh..anything else?

....but in the event someone does put down my going to ren faires and hanging out with those evil hippies...id probably just make devil horns with my fingers and waggle my tongue at them elaine style from seinfeld
Yo ho Yo ho!

laedyfaire

I am begining to think that I should indugle them all, dress naked and do a moon dance dripping in rum with a long haired hippie....*sighs*
In short....ARGH!

now THIS sounds like FUN!! :)

at my age, I could give a rat's a...s what people think. I get weird reactions also. I just smile and say.."yup, that's right!" LF

Ginette

So when is the naked moon dance dripping in rum with a long haired hippie this year?     ;)
Weddings & Events at Sherwood Forest Faire.
PR for life!

Terry Griffith

Think of it this way.  With all the new Ren Faires springing up and getting more and more popular, before too long, we will outnumber them.  Of course, I'll have to find something else to do.
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

daylight

My thogut on the matter.. If they knew what we  knew they would  linning up to fellow us into the fair.people are asways going to quick to judge what they don`t know. Here`s an example... If all you did watch someone eat an orange would you really know how good is if you really never taste it. ;D

Tipsy Gypsy

My answer:

It's the straight-laced, plain vanilla people who live their lives stuck in their tiny, unadventurous little boxes that scare me! There are so many things in life I'll never get the chance to do, but how tragic it would be to die having never tried anything at all.
"It's just water, officer, I swear. And yeast. And a little honey. How the alcohol got in, I have no idea!"

groomporter

Of course there are those people who think rennies are just carnies who have found a different gig and that we're just out to take their money in anyway we can.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Lady Laura

People think I'm weird already so they're not surprised I spend weekends camping at faire, surrounded by those "crazy" faire folk!  I consider it a badge of honor to be considered one of them.
"Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk."
-Sir Francis Chichester

Lady Ann of Draycott

I would just say something like "Don't knock it until you try it!"  ;) ;D
Collector of Wine and Roses
Clan McLotofus Elder
Landshark No. 96

Trillium

People aren't too terribly surprised, especially if they have known me very long.  I've always been weird so it doesn't bother me too much.

But I usually ask "Have you actually been out there?"

If they are too scared by the idea that is in their head, it's their own loss!
Got faerie dust?