News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

WARRIORS on the History Channel

Started by Sir William Marcus, March 12, 2009, 03:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poldugarian Warrior

Seen the Viking vs. Samurai very good episode. I won't spoil the outcome. I seen the Last Crusaders on Warriors and I have to say I never thought there were renaisance garbed/equipped crusaders still fighting in the Holy Land/Italy against the Muslims. I thought it very progressive in both sides use of gunpowder and the use of the newly constructed forts star designs. And who knew that the scimitar, even though a hacking and slashing blade could be so effective against the latest and greatest rapier sword design. Very cool.

Sir William Marcus

Quote from: Poldugarian Warrior on April 22, 2009, 01:50:52 AM
I seen the Last Crusaders on Warriors and I have to say I never thought there were renaisance garbed/equipped crusaders still fighting in the Holy Land/Italy against the Muslims.

Interesting isn't it?  Some 700 knights fighting along with 8500 Maltese men-at-arms against some 40 thousand plus!  It was estimated that the Casualties suffered by the Ottoman Turks were as low as 20,000 to a high of 30,000.  It was an absolutely incredible victory for Europe.  Then you have to admire Malta Grandmaster "Jean de Valette" at 70 years of age leading his knights at the front of battle...incredible! AWESOME!

Lan Astaslem

Grandmaster Jean Parisot de Valette
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Sir William Marcus

Thursday, April 23, 2009

10-11pm -- Warriors - Spartan Vengeance
Modern day warrior, Green Beret Terry Schappert goes beyond the myth of the legendary Spartans, perhaps the most single-minded fighting society in history. He tests the weapons and reveals the tactics that led to the battle that finally avenged the devastating defeat of The 300 at Thermopylae.
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Poldugarian Warrior

They just had Spartan vs. Ninja on that Deadliest Warrior show on Spike. Both awesome warriors, yet very different weapons. and styles. On the topic of the Crusaders, as they say it takes a strong leader to get the job done right and that's exactly what happened at Malta.

Sir William Marcus

Thursday, April 30, 2009

10-11pm -- Warriors - Zulu Siege
Modern day warrior, Green Beret Terry Schappert travels to South Africa to fight alongside legendary Zulu warriors. He reveals how these tribesman grew from 400 to 40,000, mastered the most primitive of weapons, and devastated the British in a pivotal battle.

Poldugarian Warrior

Will definitely check that out. It's hard to believe that a gun-toting disciplined army could be defeated by a primitive people. But, as they say if you close quick enough with your weapon and gun is not very useful.

Sir William Marcus

"Iklwa!" The history on this weapon and how its name originated was something ele's. I must say I enjoyed this Zulu episode. It also appeared to be an emotional one for Terry, and If you watched it you can understand why. 

Poldugarian Warrior

Very awesome episode, and just to think these primitive people really were fighting powers they couldn't understand, but had awesome weaponry. In fact, as they showed hand to hand the Brits were no match. Who would've thought guns would be so useless. That Iklwa is an awesome weapon, I beat some medieval/renaissance warriors wished they had somethin like that at times.

DonaCatalina

Quote from: DonaCatalina on April 10, 2009, 07:31:23 AM
They left a lot out about the politics of the Third crusade. But it was interesting. Who is the actor who played Richard?

I thought I recognized the actor. He played a British officer in "The last of the Mohicans".

The Military Channel has also been playing this series. That's where I saw it.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Poldugarian Warrior

You all see the last 2 episodes about the primitive Hawaiian fighting styles and weapons, and the Spec Ops. Alamo Scouts from WW2, awesome stuff, who knew that hand-to-hand combat without swords or guns was just as essential to fighting with weapons.

Sir William Marcus

Quote from: DonaCatalina on May 15, 2009, 07:36:47 AM
I thought I recognized the actor. He played a British officer in "The last of the Mohicans".

Hey Donna, its Steven Waddington

Poldugarian Warrior

Yep, that's the guy from Last of The Mohicans. Good Eye Dona.