News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Archer Garb

Started by Wisp, March 13, 2009, 03:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wisp

Can someone help point me in the right direction on being a Archer in 1160 to 1300 time period.  Clothing, equipage and such.

Thanks a heap,
Wisp

DonaCatalina

Start here
http://www.regia.org/SaxonArchery.htm

The time period you are looking for roughly spans the third crusade.
Illuminated manuscripts like the works of Peter of Eboli, depicting the exploits of Richard I will probably include
drawings of the archers in his army.
A good book to look for would be Western Warfare in the Age of the Crusades, 1000-1300 By John France
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Wisp

Thank you for the info.

Wisp

jcbanner

What sort of archer? English? Scottish? German? Some of the equipment might have been the same, but the clothing was different from one to the next.

Wisp

I think English at this time, that is until I learn more.  I have Jim Bradbury's book "The Medieval Archer".  Looking forward to reading it soon.

Thanks a heap,

Will Shadowlurker

Poldugarian Warrior

I've patterned my light archer garb after Robin Hood and his men. A tunic, tights, or breeches, low shoes, moccasins high or low, a gambeson, and a hood/mantle or stocking cap. Then of course the bow, a pouch , quiver, short sword/dagger (difference here is a short sword usually 2ft, and a dagger 1ft or 6 inches). and that's about it. Now if heavy archer, I wear a leather cuirass, pants, mail shirt, war hat (metal helmet sort of like a WWI British Army helmet). pouch,quiver,short sword,. So with that that's a basic idea. jcbanner mentions that the different countries style of dress is different and he's right. The Germans and French wore clothing that was much more stylized/fashionable, where as the Scots and English wore clothing which was much more practical. Hope this helps, just figured it's been a long time since I've posted in this thread. I like to share info. when I can. Don't mean to step on any one's toes.

Wisp

Many thanks Milord Poldugarian Warrior.  That bit of info helps a lot.

Will

Lady Renee Buchanan

You know who wears lovely archer garb?  Var Greyshadow.

You might want to look at some pictures of her on the forum or renmail her, because we met her in person, and she looked wonderful.  Maybe she can give you some hints.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Wisp

Milady Rene, I don't think I would look as good as Milady Greyshadow does.  LOL! She sure does garb right.

Thanks for the reply Milady,

Will Shadowlurker

Var Greyshadow

Thank you both, Renee and Wisp! 

I will point out that my archer garb is inspired much more by Lord of the Rings than by period accuracy (which is why I haven't stepped into this thread earlier).  I do get mistaken for Robin Hood (or one of his band), so if that's what you're going for, you may find some examples in my ensemble.  Happy to help if you do have questions.

For period accuracy, I would recommend looking up Osprey books and seeing if they have one for the time period you're looking at.  They have great color plates of much of the garb of whatever time the particular book is covering.  Should be able to find them on Amazon.
"All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost..." ~J.R.R. Tolkien "The Fellowship of the Ring"

Poldugarian Warrior

Glad to help. Var does wear great archer garb and she is right.  I totally forgot the way I patterend my warrior garb, was based on the Hungarian army's style through an Osprey book. Look up Osprey books/publishing they specialize in arms/armor books on all nationalities. And they may be expensive, but worth it. And if not looking to buy check your library they should have something or the net always has sources.

Wisp

Thank Milady Var and Milord Poldugarian Warrior,  I will check those books out.

Will