News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Norman Medieval Faire Weapons Policy

Started by Wisp, March 16, 2009, 04:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wisp

I was wondering about their policy on bows?  They say peace tied for swords and other pointy things, but what about bows, strung or unstrung?

Thanks a heap,
Wisp

Celtic Lady

Most likely unstrung but then again every faire is different. If memory serves me well that is what MiRF allowed and there was something about the arrows being tied so they stay in the quiver.

Wisp

Fugli

Many of us are used to private faires, so when a a faire as large as the Norman Medieval Faire comes into the public venue, it can get a bit confusing.

The weapon policy from their web site is also vague: http://www.medievalfair.org
It's mostly aimed at kids who want to run around acting foolish on school day.

QuoteAll weapons must be in a sheath or peace-tied at all times. Demonstrations involving weapons are allowed only in secured and pre-approved areas. No weapons may be sold to minors. Schools are responsible to enforce and inform their students of school policies regarding weapons.

The general policy is a no brainer if you remember that the Norman Medieval Faire is held in a public park, and faire security are actually city of Norman police. The faire has grown so large (weather permitting, expect about half a million people over the weekend) that it has come to a public venue. The university coordinates the faire in full cooperation with the city. There is no check point to go through to check your compliance. Entry to the faire is possible from 360 degrees around.

The practical rule is this: It's illegal to go about brandishing a usable weapon in a public park, just as it is the other 362 days of the year. Some exceptions are understandably made by the city for sanctioned faire performances, and while you are inside weapons dealers tents only.

Now, you know that the public and police will probably overlook club like weapons just because they are not sharp (no guarantee). Hammers and wooden swords don't often have sheathes to tie the weapon down, but the key arbitrator is not the faire itself, it is the laws and police of the city. Yes, they do have a bow hunting season, so a strung bow is considered a weapon, Celtic Lady's idea of tying the arrows in place sounds like a good one too.

Either way, I would hope that if you came with your bow strung and arrows loose, that an officer or faire worker might simply suggest how you could comply with the law rather than making your life difficult. I'm sure you're not the only one confused by rule variations between faires. After 33 years, you would think someone knew enough to post specifics.

Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Wisp

Thanks Milord Fugli, I have decided that since my longbow isn't what "I" would call right then I'm not going to bring it.  When I get an English Longbow I will bring it and it will be unstrung to comply with any and all laws.  I want to have a positive experience the first time I come armed.

Will Shadowlurker

Friar Rohn the Chronicler

We too were wondering about the "peace tied" policy since my nephew's favorite accessory is his new crossbow. We have it zip tied in three places. Two are attached to the bowstring so it cannot be pulled back and the other around the trigger mechanism. He won't be carrying arrows and he can can't even draw back the bowstring without cranking device. We also have now created a rigging were he can mount it on his backside with leather and buckles. It would require a second person to unstrap it.
        What we decided to do was to drive in early to try and get good parking and leave the crossbow in the car. We'll find someone in charge to clarify the pollicy.