News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Is Nothing Sacred? St Pat is under attack!

Started by *Teach*, March 17, 2009, 08:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

*Teach*

Seriously
The latest attack from the PC police is to try and change the name of St. Patrick's day to "Shamrock Day". They say that St Pat is non-inclusive and offensive to non-Christians.
Have I ever mentioned how much I cannot stand political correctness?
I thought it was a joke when I heard mention of this on the radio this morning but figured I would check it out and sure enough, many places and especially Disney television are now calling one of my favorite holidays Shamrock day.
http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/news/stories/2009/03/16/03162009wacshamrockday.html
That is just the first of many stories I came across when I searched for information on this nonsense.
For those who are offended by St. Patrick... Bugger Off!
I'm going to go get me some green beer now...

*well... green rum.. but still*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com

William_MacKean

Have they attacked the multitude of Jewish Holidays?  What about Kwaanza?  I am neither black nor Jewish nor Christian.  Those don't bother me.  Heck, if they put a smile on anyone's face, who am I to take that away from them?

Welsh Wench

Shamrock Day.
Now THAT is stupid.  ::)

Really, if they want to split hairs--why is there a Black History Month?
What would happen if we had a White History Month?
Why not Scottish? We could study the effects of haggis.
Or Welsh rabbit? Or is it rarebit?

Should we condemn French kissing as not PC?
OK, so let's not go there.....
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

lilaney

Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Someone pitches a fit, and those in charge bow to comply.
(the power of democracy.)

If the consumer market was bigger (as it is for Valentine's) I doubt they would bother too much with trying to change the name over-much.

Solution? Support the holiday as is.
Happy St. Patrick's day!  ;D

Cobaltblu

There is no constitutional right to not be offended.  In fact the first amendment protects our right to free speech even if if it offends others.  The first amendment also protects the free exercise of religion.

So St. Patrick's day isn't going anywhere.

Having holidays and events that illustrate different cultures and traditions do not exclude people because they offer the opportunity for people to learn something and broaden their knowledge.

The people who oppose St. Patrick's day are the same whiny bleeding heart liberals who don't want to keep score in sports because it might hurt someone's feelings if they lose.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Yrose

I'm not christian and I'm not offended. It's celebrating a religious holiday. So, it's not my religion I can choose to acknowledge it or not. I would be offended if someone tried to change the name of my holidays. Heck they have on some!  >:(
Don't forget to smell the roses, but watch out for the thorns!

Lady Christina de Pond

uhhhh i don't know about you but I don't give a rip about being politically correct leave things alone I mean really how stupid does shamrock day sound?
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

Tipsy Gypsy

Well, then they don't want to call it Shamrock Day, either. Accorrding to legend, St. Patrick used the shamrock to explain the Holy Trinity, thus making it a religious symbol of sorts.

Sorta like trying to take Christ out of Christmas and leaving in Santa Claus, not realizing that the santa legend is based on a religious figure, Nicholas of Myra.  ::) Eejits.

According to Wikipedia, over 34 million Americans- more than 12% of the nation's population-claim Irish descent. The PC Police can kiss our collective ginger arses!
"It's just water, officer, I swear. And yeast. And a little honey. How the alcohol got in, I have no idea!"

Jack Daw at Work

Controvery makes things thrive!!  Happy St. Patrick's Day!!  BTW, don't say 'St. Paddy' - it's OFFENSIVE!!  LOL!
Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

Master Benjamin

Scotsman, Reiver, Smuggler
***DOWN WITH TAXES***

SirRichardBear

Think things are bad here look at some of the things the EU is banning.

Using 'Miss' and 'Mrs' has been banned by leaders of the European Union because they are not considered politically correct.

they also ban MEPs saying sportsmen and statesmen, advising athletes and political leaders should be used instead.

Man-made is also taboo - it should be artificial or synthetic, firemen is disallowed and air hostesses should be called flight attendants.

Headmasters and headmistresses must be heads or head teachers, laymen becomes layperson, and manageress or mayoress should be manager or mayor.

Police officers must be used instead of policeman and policewoman unless the officer's sex is relevant.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

Lady Christina de Pond

Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

Lady Amy of York

My maternal grandfather  who was born in Ireland  would  turn over in his  grave  if  he  read this.
  Darn what others  say, I  am  proud  to be  Irish  and  I  will continue  to  say " Happy St. Patricks Day ."
         Thanks  for  posting  this  topic  Teach  !  And  by  the  way I have had  green rum. Not bad !  also have  had green beer, green milk,  green eggs.  Yes,  us  Irish  do some  strange  things  sometimes   to celebrate ! ;D

HAPPY ST. PATRICKS  DAY  EVERYONE  !
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

Sir William Marcus

Quote from: *Teach* on March 17, 2009, 08:18:42 AM
For those who are offended by St. Patrick... Bugger Off!

....and Póg mo thóin!

I'm going to be nice and leave it at that
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Tipsy Gypsy

As the saying goes, there are two kinds of people- the Irish, and those who wish they were.

Sounds like they're just green with envy!
"It's just water, officer, I swear. And yeast. And a little honey. How the alcohol got in, I have no idea!"