News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Canadian Faire Honeymooners

Started by Orphena, March 19, 2009, 08:01:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orphena

Greetings friends past & future!

M'lord Dugyn and I are leaning towards visiting your Faire on our Honeymoon! We hope to be there on the last weekend of May - the 30th & 31st. We thought we would poke our noses down here in order to familiarize ourselves with the faire and those that attend. M'lord and I are avid faire goers and volunteer at / attend  most of the Faires in Ontario in our garb.

We are currently researching places to stay and things to see on our way down from Ontario. Idea of what "not to miss" at Faire would also be appreciated!

Thankee all - we look forward to seeing your Faire!
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

guinea

As a faire music fan, I suggest stopping by 3 Pints Gone at the pub and Musical Blades at the big boat stage in the back for a show each at least. Watch out, they're addictive!  ;)

Mythrin

Wonderful!  We hope that you have an enjoyable and memorable honeymoon and appreciate the chance to be part of that. We also do a fall Pirate Festival and one of my favorite performers at that is from Ontario, Thom Bedlam the pirate magician.

We,cast, have been told that this faire has a reputation as a friendly faire and we try very hard to live up to it that.  This is one of the few French faires and is set in the reign of Francois I - as a Canadian you might enjoy that connection.  I am on cast and part of the German encampment as the dyer/fuller and would appreciate a chance to congratulate you if you would stop by and introduce yourselves.  It is a medium sized faire on a very shady site but our roads are rocky and there are several hills to walk up and down.  So wear good shoes and despite all or our trees - sun screen is still your friend.

Close by, within 5-15 miles in Wentzville, Lake St Louis, and O'Fallon there are several lodging options including: Best Western, Days Inn, etc.  For other things to do, you might want to wander down Historic St Charles, the oldest city in the state and original capital- there a lot of interesting shops and nice restaurants.  In St Louis proper we have a nice zoo, science, art museum and planetarium all in the same area - Forest Park.  If you want to splurge a night on of lodging, the Chesshire Inn near Forest Park is an British old style hotel with theme decorated rooms (Renaissance and Medieval) and the most incredible prime rib.  Then of course there is the famous Arch downtown - if you are claustrophobic you will not want to take the elevator to the top of the arch.   

Congratulations and I hope you have a stress free and enjoyable wedding day and fun honeymoon.
Chris
Founding member of the Living History Company

"go Secret Squirrels"

Orphena

Thank you kindly Mythrin!

That is exactly the type of information we are seeking! Once I have a chance to breathe again (wedding preparations are ongoing) I will see what I can do about makeing some travel arrangements!

Both m'lord and I are hoping to "meet" more of folks from the forum before we make our journey - tis always fun to try to match real life encounters with those we meet online. We both have RF pins that we will be sure to wear!

Orphena

Hello St. Louis!

Just checking in to see how faire is going - I imagine you are all quite busy! Memorial day approaches for you next weekend (we Canadians have a long weekend THIS weekend - the 18th is Victoria day). M'lord and I are looking forward to visiting on the 30th and 31st. We are staying at the Comfort Inn in O'Fallon.

We're hoping to purchase some boots for m'lord - and wanted to know whether you had any boot merchants at the Faire - and whether they tend to have a good selection available for trying on, or if we should let them know the styles we are seeking so they can ensure product is on hand - as travelling back to the faire will not be possible.

Your suggestions? 

Genievea Brookstone

Good Day Orphena!

Today is opening day at the faire and I will be more than happy to let you know what they have as far as boots are concerned as by boyfriend is also in the market for boots and what their options are. 
Genievea Brookstone
Lost child of the Woods

Orphena

M'lord & I are packing tonight, intending to leave tomorrow. We are wondering about the weather forecasted for the next week or so - Should be bring shorts, or sweaters?

Did anyone have time to check out the RENboots displays? We are hoping to find a goodly selection of size 10  - 11 for m;lord. If anyone has a way of contacting them and could let them know this, we would be most appreciative. Tis one of the main reasons we decided upon this faire!

One or both of us will be wearing a RF pin - do stop and introduce yourselves should you note it!

Looking forward to faire!

Lady Orphena & Lord Dugyn

Lady Renee Buchanan

Congratulations on your honeymoon.  You couldn't have chosen a better place to spend it!

We got back last night from a whirlwind 2 day trip to GSLRF.  It was wonderful!  Be forewarned - the weather ranged from hot and sunny on Saturday, to cold and rainy on Sunday, for which we weren't prepared.  So after a trip to Wally world found no shawls or throws to use in an emergency (my wool cape was in my closet in Illinois), I ended up buying a black bath towel to throw over my shoulders during the periods of rain.

We stayed in the Days Inn in Lake Saint Louis.  It cost $42, and with the tax, $48.75 for a room with one queen size bed.  It was clean, the bed and pillows were comfortable, the sheets were soft, and it was right next door to El Maguay, a good Mexican restaurant.  There is also a lake behind the property, and our room had a nice view.  Since our trip was so quick, and it rained on Monday, we didn't get a chance to walk around it, but it was very pretty.  About 7 or 8 minutes from the faire on a direct and easy route.  We booked it online on the Days Inn website so didn't have to pay any booking fees.

The music was great.  We also enjoyed Elvendrums.  And the weekend you go, Owain Phyfe will be there both days.  He is not to be missed.  He wasn't there this weekend, but we've seen him before and really love his music.

We spent $70 and got a family Friends of Faire membership.  You get 4 free tickets to the faire included.  If you use the $2 off coupon, then tickets to the faire cost $11, or $44.  For an extra $26, the pass is well worth it.  The people in the garden are magnificent, and we would have spent that in the 2 days on water ($2 a bottle).  Plus there is lemonade and fresh fruit, snacks, and a sparkling clean private privvy, which was worth it!  They have a members only pavilion at the joust field, which was wonderful during the rain, so we didn't get wet.  You also each get a Friend of Faire medallion and a tee shirt each, so we felt it was a great bargain.

Make sure to meet the RF forum members.  They are all so nice and welcoming.  We felt very comfortable and they treated us as friends, not outsiders, and when we left, it was hugs all around.  We are looking forward to our next trip there, don't know when, but we will be back!  We wish we could go back next weekend! 

Have fun!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Lord and Lady Alberon

We are looking forward to meeting you both.  ;D Please do stop us, if you see us first.

As Lady Renee mention a "Family Friends of the Faire Membership" would be perfect for the both of you & you would have souviners from our Faire (Silver Medallions & T-shirts)

Our Lord Logan made his membership worth it the first day alone (thirsty & hungry growing little boy) LOL  :P
FOKTOP
Royal Order of Landsharks

Genievea Brookstone

Genievea Brookstone
Lost child of the Woods

Lady Renee Buchanan

Word of caution:

I came home with an unexpected souvenir from last weekend.  Last night while going to bed, I laid down, moved the pillow, and it hurt.  I felt my head behind my ear, and yup, a tick was lodged there.

Steve pulled it out, and because of my suppressed immune system, he insisted I call the doctor today.  And I have now gotten a course of antibiotics as a preventive measure.  Even with protection, the tick found the place where there wasn't any.  No one would put Off in their hair, would they?  Well, I didn't, and there it lodged.

Anyway, after the faire when you get back to your hotel, do a visual check of both of you.  Hopefully, it's not lyme disease, but do yourself a favor and save yourself the worry.

Have a great time! 

And P.S.  if Orphena and Dugyn don't have access to a computer anymore, would some of the other Rfers, please suggest they do this?  Thanks.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Orphena

We had the most delightful time at Faire!

Thank you to all who made our honeymoon so special! We have arrived back at home safe and sound (A little tired of the carriage). We wanted to extend our heartfelt thanks to each of you who took the time to find us and say hello, and stop to congratulate us!

We were priviledged to enjoy the "secret" garden and sit in the shade and converse with our fellow RFers for a short while! It was so lovely to meet you!

AmyJ & Pyrate Bob - we were so sorry to have missed you at the final gate! We waited as long as we could. We loved your singing our anthem to find us!

We were so honoured when her Majesty the Queen sent a messenger to invite us to sit with their majesties in thier pavilion for the jousting! It felt so much like we were actual honoured guests from another court! The entire court went out of their way to make us feel welcome!

By Sunday word of our presence had spread, and most of the merchants and support crew were on the lookout for us.

Our visit to Lyon will be long remembered - and we will sing the priases of this delightful faire to all our faire acquaintences! 

We are looking forward to seeing any pictures that may be around - with all the excitement, we didn't get nearly as many photos as we had hoped!

Merci Beaucoup!

Lady Orphena & Lord Dugyn

Lord_Dugyn

Good Day Lords and Ladies to the south.

I wanted to share our portraits with you.
Please vist http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v18/ShariO/St%20Louis%20Ren%202009/

Enjoy

Lord Dugyn and Lady Orphena