News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

ROAD TRIP!!

Started by Terry Griffith, March 19, 2009, 05:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anne of oaktower

Let me point out that also in the Hocking Hills area is a place called Ravenwood Castle.  A bit pricey, but can you imagine a  whole group of rennies in a place like that?  ;D

http://www.ravenwoodcastle.com/

Hmmm....wonder if they give group discounts...
aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

Terry Griffith

Quote from: anne of oaktower on March 25, 2009, 06:45:21 AM
Let me point out that also in the Hocking Hills area is a place called Ravenwood Castle.  A bit pricey, but can you imagine a  whole group of rennies in a place like that?  ;D

http://www.ravenwoodcastle.com/

Hmmm....wonder if they give group discounts...

Man, I'm in love with this place.  I think we are going to book it for our anniversary.  It's 4 hours from Pittsburgh and a little over an hour from the OSU Campus.  Accomodations range from $50 for the Gypsy trailer to $210 for the best suite in the castle.  It's a beautiful place.
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

Professor M

I've heard of Ravenwood Castle, but I was unaware of the medieval village and gypsy trailers.  The trailers are $115 for Friday-Saturday together, and can easily hold 2 people (more with some effort).  Sounds like a possibility!
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~ C.S. Lewis

GypsyWriter

Ravenwood is a favorite vacation spot for my family!  We have stayed in the gypsy wagons as well as the Fairy Tale cottages and also the castle proper...all very good experiences!  The castle staff are wonderful and accommodating, and it is quite a unique experience.  The food is always delicious as well, though the kids are usually less enthusiastic about that as I am.  Still, they love eating in the dining hall with all the other castle guests every morning for breakfast. 

Terry, thanks for posting this faire...every year I think about going, but I've yet to make it.  If there is to be an invasion, it must be fate that I'm meant to go this year!  As fortune would have it, there is nothing on my calendar for May 2.  HUZZAH!
You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm.
--Colette

Terry Griffith

"I love when a plan comes together."

anne of oaktower

Just wanted to point out that the rooms/cottages at Ravenwood are filling up very quickly.  If anyone is hoping to stay there, I'd suggest making a reservation right away.  (Ravenwood's Cancellation Policy = cancel up to 1 week before for a full refund; any cancellations less than a week prior to intended stay will receive a credit voucher for a future visit.)

And if anyone else is staying there, do post so we know whose smiling faces will be joining us at breakfast!   ;D

*Note...there are a few cottages that have beds and daybeds/sofa beds, for those looking to save money by sharing accomodations.

brogan

Hello all.   When I reserved for Lady Anne and myself, I'd asked if they offered discounts for AAA members.   Alas...they do not.     

Expect to have 100.00 drafted from your charge card immediately to hold your reservation.  Your balance will be deducted when you stay.   

Ravenwood seems to be a very enchanting place and I think we'll have a great experience there. 

Brogan.

Ambios

Terry...Lady Maud and I were tipped off to your attendance/performance by Athena.  We're cast members at the Bay Area Renaissance Festival (Tampa), but frequently visit what the Columbus/OSU crowd affectionately nicknamed U-Ren.  Both of our daughters attended OSU and were members of the Medieval/Renaissance guild.  Our eldest, Meghan (aka Arwin Adria) is also founding and artistic director of Minstrelry, a performance troupe that will be at the faire for their 3rd straight year.

We'll be there on May 2nd.....how will we identify and greet you?
William Parr, KG
Marquess of Northampton
7th Earl of Essex
RMG# 520
IBRSC# 1214
God Save My Sis...(oops) The Queen

Terry Griffith

Quote from: Ambios on March 30, 2009, 09:06:55 AM
Terry...Lady Maud and I were tipped off to your attendance/performance by Athena.  We're cast members at the Bay Area Renaissance Festival (Tampa), but frequently visit what the Columbus/OSU crowd affectionately nicknamed U-Ren.  Both of our daughters attended OSU and were members of the Medieval/Renaissance guild.  Our eldest, Meghan (aka Arwin Adria) is also founding and artistic director of Minstrelry, a performance troupe that will be at the faire for their 3rd straight year.

We'll be there on May 2nd.....how will we identify and greet you?

Ambios, I am Terry Griffith, The Irish Troubadour.  I don't know which stage I'll be on yet but I will have 2 shows during the day.  There will probably be a printed program of some sort.  Please coem to my show and introduce yourself and your Lady.  I'll look forward to meeting you.

You can see my photos on MySpace, FaceBook and YouTube.  Just search on my name.

Cheers and slainte.

Ambios

EXCELLENT...We'll definitely make a point of seeing you.  Since their theme is decidedly Medieval this year (1066), I'll most likely garbed either as my original Druid character Ambios, or kilted...but nothing like my RF avatar.

Sounds like you're rounding up quite the invasion this year....promises to be much fun!  We're looking forward to it even more now, if that's possible.  Here's hopin' for fair faire weather!

Until May.......Slainte!
William Parr, KG
Marquess of Northampton
7th Earl of Essex
RMG# 520
IBRSC# 1214

Terry Griffith

Here's the line up for the Medievil and Renaissance Festival at OSU on May 2nd:
11:00   Opening at the Maypole
11:30   MPRG Chessboard1 at the Chessboard
   English Country Dancers at the Browning Stage
12:00   Minstrel Woode at the Pub (it's dry)
   Minstrelry at the Grove
   Dagorhir at Site 1
12:30   MRPG Dance Show 1 on the Maypole
   Terry Griffith on the Browning Stage
1:00   TCN Shakespeare at the Chessboard
   Ramblin'Rovers at the Maypole
1:30   MRPG Fight Show at the Pub
                     Olentangy Motley Morris on the Browning Stage
                     Dagorhir at Site 1
2:00   MRPG Lunch at the Pub
   Minstrelry at the Grove
   Kateryn the Storyteller at the Maypole
2:30   Minstrel Woode at the Pub
   English Country Dancers at the Browning Stage
3:00   TCN Shakespeare at the Chessboard
   Dagorhir at Site 1
3:30   Minstrel Woode at the Pub
   Minstrelry at the Grove
   MRPG Dance Show 2 at the Maypole
   Terry Griffith on the Browning Stage
4:00   MRPG Music Show at the Pub
   Ramblin' Rovers at the Maypole
                     Olentangy Motley Morris on the Browning Stage
4:30   MRPG Song Show at the Pub
   Firelight at the Browning Stage
   Dagorhir at Site 1
5:00   TCN Shakespeare at the Chessboard
   Firelight at the Browning Stage   
6:00   Closing at the Maypole

MRPG stands for The Medieval and Renaissance Performers Guild which is a Columbus area Guild.

Most of the acts can be found with Google.  I don't have a map of where all the stages are yet.

anne of oaktower

Thanks for posting the line-up, Terry.  You've been there before, correct?  What's the scoop on vendors?  (Just wondering how much money I need to bring.)

Terry Griffith

Quote from: anne of oaktower on April 12, 2009, 11:48:33 PM
Thanks for posting the line-up, Terry.  You've been there before, correct?  What's the scoop on vendors?  (Just wondering how much money I need to bring.)

Nay, fair lady, I have not been there before.  The fiare comes highly recommended by people who have been to several other faires and are qualified to compare.  The only other information is the limited amount on their web page.

Maybe GypsyWriter can shed some light as she has been ther before.

Ambios

Quote from: anne of oaktower on April 12, 2009, 11:48:33 PM

In my humble opinion (and past experience), I would characterize the vendor assortment as moderate/modest.  Assorted purveyors of garb (nothing terribly elaborate or expensive), jewelry, crafts, and arms.  In the past at least one arms vendor has offered everything from "hang it on the wall and forget it" to fully stage combat capable items.  Purchased a Paul Chen main gauche there 3 years ago, and have seen several quality broadswords and rapiers in the past at reasonable prices. 

Nicely run, nicely laid out Faire run by the Medieval and Renaissance Guild of The Ohio State University.

In addition to Terry, check out Minstrelry while you're there (shameless plug for my daughters performace troupe!!!)  ;D ::) ;D

Lady Maud and I are coming up from Tampa and look forward to seeing fellow RFer's!
William Parr, KG
Marquess of Northampton
7th Earl of Essex
RMG# 520
IBRSC# 1214

Terry Griffith

Ambios, I will be sure to catch them.  They are on once in between my sets.  They're other times are the same as mine so I'll see them at The Grove at 2:00.  Good place to meet you if we don't bump into each other before then.

I think most of us wear F/R pins so look for them.