News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

curious about certain rules stated on website

Started by BLAKDUKE, March 20, 2009, 01:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLAKDUKE

"Costumes: Patrons can attend in costume. Costumed patrons are not allowed to interact with patrons on a character level."

I saw the above on the KCRF website.   If this is not true and/or not enforced then it should be removed.  If it is true and/or enforced then it just gives me another reason not to attend this faire.   I cannot imagine going to a faire and not playing with patrons.  That is half the fun.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Dinobabe

I think they mean in the sense that makes the patron think you are a part of the faire.  It's just a cover their butts statement.  ;) I wouldn't read anything into it.  ;D
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

kcdcchef

Quote from: BLAKDUKE on March 20, 2009, 01:37:07 PM
"Costumes: Patrons can attend in costume. Costumed patrons are not allowed to interact with patrons on a character level."

I saw the above on the KCRF website.   If this is not true and/or not enforced then it should be removed.  If it is true and/or enforced then it just gives me another reason not to attend this faire.   I cannot imagine going to a faire and not playing with patrons.  That is half the fun.

try and remember, the faire, like any ren faire, is paying costumed characters to entertain paying guests. by being a paying guest, and interacting with a character like you are part of the show, you can detract from that costumed character interacting with many other patrons. i used to wear garb at kcrf, and, when you start talking to the people, who, are playing a part, you do engage them for a while without them realizing it. and you also give off the impression you are a paid employee or a representative of the kansas city renaissance festival. and remember, you are not. other patrons may think things you say and do represent the festival and its management, and again, they dont. so, it makes perfect sense on a whole variety of levels.

when i used to attend kcrf in garb, last time i did so was 2004, they never had any issue with you saying a quick "fair thee well" or a simple "good morrow" to the mayor, the queen, madame red, the executioner, etc. it is when you start to become part of the revelry and act right there in the lane, and then the many other patrons have no idea who is who. good for you, perhaps, but good for the others? yes and no. and that is why the kcrf ( most faires, actually ) do this. they have to protect the integrity of the roles they spend a lot of time and money to prepare their employees for. at the end of the day, people forget that renaissance faires are a business. it is hard to remember that these things are businesses. so many people ( particularly at kcrf, sadly ) get caught up in the moment, and forget that if you owned a business, how would you run it? probably the same.

TKM

"another reason not to attend" you say? What reasons could you possibly already have?

anyway, i never go without my garb, and honestly, i'm sure most patrons think i work there. i act and mingle amongst patrons and performers alike without a second thought on that rule every day i'm there. It's just part of the fun. Just keep in mind that to every patron who thinks you're a performer, you represent KCRF's good name. I'd hate for a few rude costumed patrons to spark complains about the cast and make the KCRF staff crack down on patron interaction.

BLAKDUKE

Quote from: TKM on March 22, 2009, 11:05:56 PM
"another reason not to attend" you say? What reasons could you possibly already have?

Reason???????  A  "STRICT" no weapons policy and from what I have been told(though, admittedly never experienced) my walking staff would be considered a weapon.  And believe me I have heard all of the excuse, the drunk, the odd incident, etc. etc.   As to what both of you have said, I do not agree.  In 26 years of faire going, I treat every faire as my home faire and conduct myself accordingly.  Maybe, as you say others do not, but I would like to think that, people in general, should be given the benefit of the doubt.   I for one have NEVER seen or heard of the situation you suggest, even with the most drunken playtron.   I have engaged many a patron in conversation beyond a mere "Good day unto thee" or "Faire thee well".  I am also very quick to say that I am not a part of the faire and am only visiting.  I would humbly suggest you rethink this policy.  If you are so afraid of a bad scene then maybe you should rethink your purpose in this business.  How would it sound if when asked a question, I were to tell the poor hapless patron that "I cannot talk to you because I am not on staff".  If I were that patron I would turn around,  head for the gate, and ask for my money back.     As to (getting caught up in the moment, and forget that if you owned a business, how would you run it? probably the same.)  Not bloody likely.  I have been to many a faire and I have never run into the situation that you speak, maybe it is particular to KCRF, I don't know.  I know that some of the faires that I have run into if you said so much as a "Good Day" to one of the performers they would be stuck for an answer, because it was not part of their preconstructed scenario of lines.    At the faires that I perform at(2) we are absolutely are thrilled if costumed patron interact with our paying patrons.  It could be because we have so few lane volunteers to do that.  Maybe KCRF is blessed with many volunteer lane characters, if so great, but when I read that line in the website, as I said it just added another reason not to go to it.

kcdcchef

Quote from: BLAKDUKE on March 23, 2009, 08:13:57 AM

Reason???????  A  "STRICT" no weapons policy and from what I have been told(though, admittedly never experienced) my walking staff would be considered a weapon.  And believe me I have heard all of the excuse, the drunk, the odd incident, etc. etc. 

absolutely not true. many non paid members of faire have weapons, they are just peace tied. and many have walking staffs. not sure where you are getting your information.

.   As to what both of you have said, I do not agree.  In 26 years of faire going, I treat every faire as my home faire and conduct myself accordingly.

hey thats super. i have 31 years of faire going. all of those 31 at kansas city. also each season, i attend the pennsylvania and new york renaissance faires. sometimes the pittsburgh renaissance faire. in years past, have attended the mighigan faire, the minessotta faire, the texas faire, the maryland faire, the ohio faire, and the arizona faire. paid my renfaire dues. again, super on those 26 years.

I for one have NEVER seen or heard of the situation you suggest, even with the most drunken playtron.   I have engaged many a patron in conversation beyond a mere "Good day unto thee" or "Faire thee well".  I am also very quick to say that I am not a part of the faire and am only visiting.  I would humbly suggest you rethink this policy.  If you are so afraid of a bad scene then maybe you should rethink your purpose in this business.  How would it sound if when asked a question, I were to tell the poor hapless patron that "I cannot talk to you because I am not on staff".  If I were that patron I would turn around,  head for the gate, and ask for my money back.      

and now you are being selfish and thinking of yourself. but since you choose to be self centered on the matter and focus on number one, lets do it that way. we'll make it all about you. so, say for example, you come in your cute little faire costume, and choose to interact with all the lane characters, in olde english accent. do you think the paid help spends more time interacting with you, or with the 20 or so nearby people wearing chiefs jerseys, nascar t-shirts, and abercrombie and fitch attire? why are you more important than the other patrons? please explain that to me?? when you interact with the lane characters and acts, on a character level, you tend to forget, you can engage them longer than the average patron, by a long shot, and in turn cut down on the amount of time the talent interacts with average folks. not good. and you should know that.

now as far as the scenario you choose to ignore, people that act like employees but are not, they need to speak to someone with faire management about planning a wedding there, or the rudeness of someone, or some dog that bit someone, something, who knows. they go ask you, because, you are busy interacting with the employees like you are one. what answers do you give them? "oh, i dont work for the shire of canterbury. many apologies governor!! please take thine self to the nearest information knob, they will gladly be of service to you........." yeah, some help you would be.

If you are so afraid of a bad scene then maybe you should rethink your purpose in this business. 

save a LOT of money and open your own renn faire perhaps, it sounds like you are an expert on the matter. perhaps owning your own would be beneficial to us all. heck, it would give me another one to try maybe.

.  Maybe KCRF is blessed with many volunteer lane characters, if so great, but when I read that line in the website, as I said it just added another reason not to go to it.

hey, you gotta do what you gotta do, eh? the kansas city renaissance festival is one of the most attended in the country, while, being one of the smaller ones. the faire hovers between 180,000-200,000 annually, while, only holding court for 7 weekends, instead of 10-12 like some of the larger ones that attract less people. they are doing fine. you attending or not attending will not break the scales either way. i can tell you of all the faires i go to, well, there is a reason i still fly 2 hours to go each fall. it is an amazing faire, with many employees that have been around 20 years ++. And they are so good at what they do, i feel the need to keep coming back. a very authentic feel in kansas city. and a feeling of home. and i love it.

BLAKDUKE

First let me apologize for the mis-post if anyone read it, I meant to hit the delete button.

absolutely not true. many non paid members of faire have weapons, they are just peace tied. and many have walking staffs. not sure where you are getting your information.

First I was not speaking of faire members and/or cast members, I was referring to Playtrons.    "not sure where I am getting my info from.   Try reading the pronouncements on the faire directory, which states it clearly "weapons are prohibited".  Now I will grant you that your current website does not say this, but a lot of people use the faire directory for info.  There were many discussions in the past in the old forum about prohibiting weapons 1 to 2 years ago in which I actively participated and I recall some one posting about Kansas City.   So if the info in the directory is not accurate someone should see to it that it is update

and now you are being selfish and thinking of yourself. but since you choose to be self centered on the matter and focus on number one, lets do it that way. we'll make it all about you. so, say for example, "you come in your cute little faire costume,"

Until that last little comment I was content to discuss with you on a fairly adult level but since you have reduced your self to the level of a jackass I will treat you as such.

now as far as the scenario you choose to ignore, people that act like employees but are not, they need to speak to someone with faire management about planning a wedding there, or the rudeness of someone, or some dog that bit someone, something, who knows. they go ask you, because, you are busy interacting with the employees like you are one. what answers do you give them? "oh, i dont work for the shire of canterbury. many apologies governor!! please take thine self to the nearest information knob, they will gladly be of service to you........." yeah, some help you would be.

Selfish?????  self-centered????  Now I will ask you SIRRAH  where is this coming from.   First of all you attribute qualities to me that I have never exhibited.  Whether I worked for the faire or not, if someone were to ask me any of that I would not respond in the fashion that you seem to think I would.  So I will ask you point blank,  in 31 years of faire going how in the world did you become such a mindless twit.

Now since this discussion has devolved to this level, I will choose to end it.   You have given me many more reasons not to attend KCRF.   I do not think myself so high as to beleive that KCRF management will quiver in their boots over that, just reflect that if you are any indication of what one might encounter there, that, in and of itself would be reason enough to stay away.   Oh  BTW if in 31 years of faire going you have not mastered old English any better than that Give it up.     I'm outta here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kcdcchef

Quote from: BLAKDUKE on March 23, 2009, 12:50:37 PM

Selfish?????  self-centered????  Now I will ask you SIRRAH  where is this coming from.   First of all you attribute qualities to me that I have never exhibited.  Whether I worked for the faire or not, if someone were to ask me any of that I would not respond in the fashion that you seem to think I would.  So I will ask you point blank,  in 31 years of faire going how in the world did you become such a mindless twit.

you were arguing the point of the faire not being able to enforce rules that are indeed set in place to ensure that every patron, not just those in garb, have a good time. like it or not, you were arguing from the point of view of yourself. that by definition is self centered. check. mate.

real nice talking to you, you appear to be a very well mannered person. for a 4 year old.

Count Adolfo

I, too, am very interested to hear an answer to this question.
Why?  Because after a full page, there has not really been an answer except the very first one, which seems to get to the crux of the issue...

Please, correct me if I am wrong, but the question was not about interacting with lane acts.  I believe the wording of the 'rule' is that costumed patrons (playtrons) are not allowed to interact with non-costumed patrons (patrons) on a character level.

I concur with BLAKDUKE... if this is anything more than lip service, it's a blatantly obvious indication that KCRF management should be in another line of business.  That's what playtrons do...

I have never been to the KCRF and chances are, I never will be.  I have been at Faire many years myself, though that really isn't relevant... and I am at several different Faires a year... though all that does is show I've seen how it's done in many places.  Such a rule, if it exists at KCRF, is likely only at KCRF... for it is not expressed anywhere else.  In fact, at my home Faire, I am often addressed BY the cast and occasionally we engage in conversation for the benefit of the patrons.  I believe if someone were playing a part and trying to pass oneself off as cast when one was not, then that individual should be dealt with.  Making such an absurd rule based on said offense would be, well, absurd.

Once again, I think that perhaps something happened there at one point that brought about this wording... but even if this is so, it seems ridiculous to 'punish' everyone for the sins of one... and it's really not a good business model.
Truth is, though... I also concur with BLAKDUKE about another point... this was a question posed to see if the information was accurate and really didn't warrant a personal attack in response.  I know that is not how things are done here on R/F.

kcdcchef

my first response was not a personal attack. my last one was, in response to his. i stand by what i said. arguing this point is moot. the faire doesnt like it, it wont happen. i agree with kcrf on this one, sorry guys. nothing personal at all folks. just pointing out the obvious, why the rule is in place. to keep people from engaging with the talent on a personal level longer than the average patron. simple rule. i get it, you two dont. looks like TKM gets it too. so right now it is 2-2, correct?

Count Adolfo

I do believe 'twas you who made a disparaging remark regarding a 'costume'.  Considering your stance, I can only assume you look down on those who wear garb to Faire, since you 'stopped' doing so years ago, yourself.  This means the personal attacks originated with you and I believe your motive is pretty clear.  What you are doing on a forum filled with such people, then, defies explanation... unless it is with the intention of starting discourse.

Secondly, it is also apparent that you are not interested in actually answering the originally posted question, nor did you even read it.  You keep making reference to 'engaging the lane acts' and, quite frankly, that was never the issue... so apparently you don't 'get it' at all.

Finally, I am not here to 'keep score' and it really doesn't matter to me if you perceive it to be the purpose of this forum... I shall not engage in such childishness.  Going forward, I wish no further interaction with you.  You've not answered the original question and you've displayed no desire to even acknowledge the actual question so your input has been nothing useful.  In addition, your statement of 'most Faires do this' is an inaccurate one and so any answer you gave at this point would have to be tempered with that knowledge.

Does anyone actually know the real truth about this matter?  It does seem sort of silly that if I were to attend KCRF with a non-costumed patron, I could not, by rule, interact with someone I am WITH because they have deemed that it is against Faire policy.

TKM

This is all so rediculous. Let's stop the arguing right now. No one is attacking anyone. This issue is nothing to hold against KCRF or us who are loyal to it. The rule Blakduke read on the site is merely a beureaucratic weed puller-saver, so that when the issue DOES happen that a playtron offends a patron, KCRF isn't responsible. I assure you, ask any street performer or administrative person... hell, even the maestro, in person, and they will tell you they have nothing against it. Everyone in KC loves the faire experience and the fun that's there for everyone to have. But, if McDonalds has to actually tell people that their coffee is hot these days, then a faire should have to cover its own hide by claiming no responsibilty for the actions of playtrons.

And as for the walking staff issue, that's taking the rule out of context. I think KCRF may be a little more strict on blades than other faires, but anything wooden, no matter how heavy or resembling an actual weapon it may be, is fine.

Count Adolfo

thanks, TKM
see, that's what I thought it was... just lip service
something they can fall back on if someone misrepresents them

I've been to many Faires and such wording isn't in their 'rules' and I think it's because it's a rare instance... at best... so I wonder if, at one time, something happened there?

As I said, where I am, the playtrons are encouraged to add to the atmosphere.

kcdcchef

Quote from: Count Adolfo on March 24, 2009, 01:44:52 PM

Secondly, it is also apparent that you are not interested in actually answering the originally posted question, nor did you even read it.  You keep making reference to 'engaging the lane acts' and, quite frankly, that was never the issue... so apparently you don't 'get it' at all.

i get it quite well actually. kcrf lists those who walk around the faire and not really appear in any shows of any kind "lane acts". the rule is in place for a particular reason. he was asking why can you not wear garb and interact with those who pay a ticket like you work there. i made that real clear, crystal clear. because they dont want confusion over who works at the faire, and who does not work at the faire, for the reasons i listed. i listed them and then blakdude acted as if i didnt. if there was someone who needed to discuss a problem with faire management, or had a faire emergency, i mean, they need answers. not someone who has no idea where to point the wayward guest. i pointed that out.

then i further branched out saying the rule is ALSO in place to deter from the lane acts ( wandering ones who are not in a show, madame red, executioner, etc, etc. ) and the main reason is in place not ONLY because of patrons being confused by who works there and who represents the faire, but to keep them from interacting with the kcrf employees on a character level. because then you tie them up longer than other patrons do. i was merely pointing that out.

I do believe 'twas you who made a disparaging remark regarding a 'costume'.  Considering your stance, I can only assume you look down on those who wear garb to Faire, since you 'stopped' doing so years ago, yourself.  This means the personal attacks originated with you and I believe your motive is pretty clear.  What you are doing on a forum filled with such people, then, defies explanation... unless it is with the intention of starting discourse.

i look down on no one. i no longer wear garb based on the amount of time i have to dedicate to faire. i have actually thought about going back to it. in 2007, i did wear garb when i went to the pennsylvania renaissance faire multiple times. my stance on kc is that i am only there 2-3 days each season, generally dedicated to hanging out there with my wife, who, is non garb, and sometimes my family, who, for sure are non garb, and it was weird for me, so i decided to just go sans garb unless i have 2 weekends to dedicate to the cause. i love wearing the garb, makes me feel so much more involved. by the way, dont judge me for being on this forum and your interpretation of me. you dont know me. judging by the attitude, i am happy to keep it that way permanently.

Finally, I am not here to 'keep score' and it really doesn't matter to me if you perceive it to be the purpose of this forum... I shall not engage in such childishness.  Going forward, I wish no further interaction with you.  

i have now clarified it AGAIN, and will not do so any longer. but i agree about not interacting with you. gladly. not sure which faire you go to, but i am happy to not have to worry about seeing you at one i go to.

Quote from: TKM on March 24, 2009, 03:00:40 PM
This is all so rediculous. Let's stop the arguing right now. No one is attacking anyone. This issue is nothing to hold against KCRF or us who are loyal to it. The rule Blakduke read on the site is merely a beureaucratic weed puller-saver, so that when the issue DOES happen that a playtron offends a patron, KCRF isn't responsible. I assure you, ask any street performer or administrative person... hell, even the maestro, in person, and they will tell you they have nothing against it. Everyone in KC loves the faire experience and the fun that's there for everyone to have. But, if McDonalds has to actually tell people that their coffee is hot these days, then a faire should have to cover its own hide by claiming no responsibilty for the actions of playtrons.

And as for the walking staff issue, that's taking the rule out of context. I think KCRF may be a little more strict on blades than other faires, but anything wooden, no matter how heavy or resembling an actual weapon it may be, is fine.

it may indeed just be lip service. but i have seen them ask people to cease and stop acting like employees in recent years. i know not only do they not want it, but they do enforce it. moreso in recent years. i do agree on the walking stick issue. they dont care. i have seen many patrons there with walking sticks, and have seen many with weapons that were peace tied.

Amyj

I'm going to follow up on what TKM said.  The "not interacting on a character level" really just means, playtrons can't try to make money off other paytrons and should not represent themselves as being employed by or contracted by KCRF.  As far as playing....play away, just play nice.

As for the weapons policy...yea, bummer we can't wear our swords...but I think the staff should be ok...as long as it's not covered in metal spiky things...I've never tried though, I'll let you know for sure once I do.  However, you might try emailing the contact listed on the faire website for confirmation...

As for the arguing...how about just come out and check the faire out before getting upset?  It's a great faire and I think you will have a great time.  If not, oh well...I'm sure there are others...but I sure love it!

I'm not fat, it's just that a skinny body couldn't hold ALL THIS PERSONALITY! ;)
Historically Accur-ISH

John

Well met all.

My two pence...

If you ask me, most rules are made because someone went way out of bounds.
To defend against this type of behavior a rule was put in place.  
It doesn't necessarily mean that a causal interaction is frowned upon.

kcdcchef

Quote from: Amyj on March 24, 2009, 06:13:05 PM

As for the arguing...how about just come out and check the faire out before getting upset?  It's a great faire and I think you will have a great time.  If not, oh well...I'm sure there are others...but I sure love it!

HEAR HEAR!!!!

Count Adolfo

Quote from: Amyj on March 24, 2009, 06:13:05 PM
I'm going to follow up on what TKM said.  The "not interacting on a character level" really just means, playtrons can't try to make money off other paytrons and should not represent themselves as being employed by or contracted by KCRF.  As far as playing....play away, just play nice.

As for the weapons policy...yea, bummer we can't wear our swords...but I think the staff should be ok...as long as it's not covered in metal spiky things...I've never tried though, I'll let you know for sure once I do.  However, you might try emailing the contact listed on the faire website for confirmation...

Wow... you know, never even in a million years entertained the idea of trying to make money off the patrons as a playtron.  I was at a convention once where I asked someone if I could have a picture taken with him and he said "for 5.00"
that wasd the last he saw of me.  afterwards, I wondered if he worked there or was just trying to make a quick buck off being there.

However, I have never seen such a thing at any Faire I've attended.  Once again, I think John is right on this... someone, somewhere, stepped way out of line somehow.
Seems that the rule is not an issue, though, as it has been removed from the website and there is no sign of it anywhere on the site now.  It only appears in the Faire Directory.
Thanks for pointing out another possible angle on this.

There are a myriad of reasons I shall not be at KCRF... not the least of which is the distance involved... and while I do travel quite some ways for certain Faires... they are just that... certain Faires.
I typically have a reason for making the journey.

I'm sure it's quite lovely there.

Capt Spleen

Good Master, and dearest Blakduke,
The KCRF was the very first ren faire ever I attended.
It was this very faire that so turned me on to seek out more about ren faires and interaction play. It took all of 5 minutes for this to cook in mine spirit of ren.

Opinions are just that, opinions.

If you know of me (and we did meet at TNRF a few years back) you know that I do so enjoy playing talking, interacting with paytrons, playtrons, and cast alike. I know you to be the same on a more experienced level than myself.

I do observe what I might take to a certain level, and will cease and desist if I observe my level being unwanted by any person. But it is always in fun and jocularity that do such.

I beleive that you too are the caring spirit and yet well intentioned in spirit.

Of one thing good Sir, we do have a difference of opinion on one thing, and that is a NO weapons policy.  As much as I dislike the NO weapons policy, I WILL attend such a faire.

KCRF has a NO weapons policy directed at play/paytrons in their shire.

However..........

I have interacted with royalty, acts, playtrons, paytrons, ingarbed and normal clothing persons at the KCRF faire (I have attended three times since 1994 - most recently this past year). I have never been scolded or reprimanded by any I have interacted with.

You have a sense of sensibility, good Sir.

If I may......... I would highly recommend this faire to one such as you, even with a NO weapons policy.  It is a wonderful faire, very village like, winding, and surprise upon surprise will delight with every turn, passage and interaction.

Go. See. Explore. Do. Be you. Interact. Enjoy! They will love you as I have loved what you do at faire good Sir!

CaptDungeonSpleen
AKA, Sean Daniels, Dane McPhearson, Gunnar Rennir.

Lord Clisto of York

Ok, this is one of the dumbest things a faire anywhere can try to enforce. I have over my 33 years doing faire had the same thing at Bristol and a few others. I go for me, and the other people as well as performers and friends. Even when I am performing on cast, it IS our job to interact with the patrons and get them involved in the faire atmosphere. How stupid is it when you do that but then tell them they can't act in a role back or about the shire on their own? I have been on both sides and frankly many years ago I have told them to shove it. There is a thing called freedom of speech no matter what. And, who is to say you arent talking to your friends. As long as people abide by the rules and do not accept money, or say they work there for one reason or another there is nothing wrong with it. I got that taken care of some years ago. I go and I interact with cast but mostly with the regular public to have fun and especially the kids. And, when asked if I work there I tell them NO, that I come dressed to have fun like they do and it is my passion and hobby, unless I do work there at the time, then it gets played off in my improve. Again, the bottom line is, dont tell the performers to "interact and get the people involved in the time period, then tell them  - but, you cant act back to us or anyone else". See how stupid that sounds? Hell, everyone that dresses up to go is thought of as "working there" without even speaking. Then if you dont say anything to people, they think you are the opposite in your insulting them. LOL..

I have been asked to take money for pictures etc and I never have. And, over the years, many people expect to see me at certain faires since I interacted with them  or their children in the past and they loved it. And, on the other end, the cast likes it when people actually "GET IT" with them. Also, they are getting a lot of FREE help in people interacting from the public. So, just go in garb if you have it, learn the language and be the persona you want to be and have fun with it with everyone. Don't look over your shoulders and worry. Cause, the day someone makes a BIG issue about this at faire and it becomes a threat, is the day there will be someone held accountable for their stupidity in stripping people of their rights. They can't have it both ways in wanting you to interact but then when you do you can't. Just dream the dream and live your fantasy to its fullest.

Lord Sir Clisto of York
Invictus Maneo - I Remain Unvanquished

kcdcchef

i am just happy to see this much action on any page of the kansas city renaissance festival forum. usually it is quite boring here. thank you for bringing cyber traffic to the KCRF!!! thanks guys!!! heck, even the admin is stopping by to say hi! awesome.

Lord Clisto of York

LOL.... Glad we can help. Just is a topic I have had personal dealings with all my faire life and had to straighten it out in the past. Just want to make clear this is a topic for all faires and not just KC.

Count Adolfo

Aye, I figured any attempt at enforcing such a 'rule' would really be a mistake by any Faire.
As I have said, I see they removed it from their site... and now it only remains in the Faire Directory.  Quite possibly, management already realized the error of imposing such a restriction and took it down on their own.

Thanks, so much, for the opinions and clarifications!

Lord Clisto of York

You have to know that many people in faire mgt look at these boards as well. I know that for a fact. LOl... They did the right thing in doing so and should be commended for it.

Amyj

Quote from: sir clisto on March 25, 2009, 12:04:23 AM
over the years, many people expect to see me at certain faires since I interacted with them  or their children in the past and they loved it.
Lord Sir Clisto of York

Hehehe...Clisto may remember my "quivering with excitement Celebrity Sighting" of him at Bristol a few years back!  AND, I've been lucky enough to have the opportunity to have hum visit my home faire several times!  (BTW, hope to see you in St. Louis again this year!) 

Interaction is key to the enjoyment of faire...and KCRF is one that I think does a pretty good job of it. I'm convinced that they may even encourage it a wee bit with the semi-vague descriptions of people on the kids quest list...My parents were mistaken for the Lord and Lady Mayor one year when they were dressed in green.  However, after several inquiries as to whether they were in fact the Lord and Lady Mayor, Mom and Dad were using a nice little BFA and having the time of their life...and this was their FIRST FAIRE EVER!  I do like the way some/most faires use a badge or some other identifying item to differentiate cast from playtron though; I think it allows playtron interaction with some small semblance of "legal coverage" by the faire.
I'm not fat, it's just that a skinny body couldn't hold ALL THIS PERSONALITY! ;)
Historically Accur-ISH

kcdcchef

Quote from: Amyj on March 25, 2009, 07:10:53 AM
Quote from: sir clisto on March 25, 2009, 12:04:23 AM
over the years, many people expect to see me at certain faires since I interacted with them  or their children in the past and they loved it.
Lord Sir Clisto of York

Hehehe...Clisto may remember my "quivering with excitement Celebrity Sighting" of him at Bristol a few years back!  AND, I've been lucky enough to have the opportunity to have hum visit my home faire several times!  (BTW, hope to see you in St. Louis again this year!) 

Interaction is key to the enjoyment of faire...and KCRF is one that I think does a pretty good job of it. I'm convinced that they may even encourage it a wee bit with the semi-vague descriptions of people on the kids quest list...My parents were mistaken for the Lord and Lady Mayor one year when they were dressed in green.  However, after several inquiries as to whether they were in fact the Lord and Lady Mayor, Mom and Dad were using a nice little BFA and having the time of their life...and this was their FIRST FAIRE EVER!  I do like the way some/most faires use a badge or some other identifying item to differentiate cast from playtron though; I think it allows playtron interaction with some small semblance of "legal coverage" by the faire.

the last time i wore garb at the KCRF, i kept getting mistaken for a member of the vulgaria royalty due to how colorful i was. hehe, i thought it was funny as hell.

to all others on here, i am one of the few people that participate in rf.com that is actually a regular in kansas city, that considers kansas city its home faire. it is a shame, because it is one of the more attended faires, usually top 5-7 nationwide, and a damn nice faire at that. there are faires that have resorted to name badges and crap like that, and oh my god, are you kidding me?? i actually go to the pennsylvania renaissance faire annually, and i hate that they paved it. kcrf a few years ago paved select areas, put gravel over the pavement, then proceeded to cover it all again in fresh woodchips and dirt. they so desperately want to keep that olde feel. i love it about the place.

in closing, since this was at minimum, a pissing match early on, let me just say i was passionate about it because i first hand saw faire management enforce this rule there, and the 2 reasons why. the amount of time people in garb were engaging paid festival performers, and one other isolated time when someone was acting as an employee who wasnt. in that situation, the guest was confused, and legitimately needed assistance with their motor scooter thingie. both incidents i casually observed in the 2007 faire season while both times in mermaid commons sitting having a bite to eat. so i get it. also, the kcrf has transitioned from a money losing "just kind of there faire" to a business interest in the past 10 years. and i for one have no issues with it. some on this site do, and many that work there do. kcrf went from being a small yet well attended festival in the sticks to a medium damn well attended festival in what has accidentally become a thriving area. they had to do many things to protect their interests as a business.

anyways, great to see some life in the kcrf boards finally. i love it.

TKM

There have been many times i've been confused for cast at KCRF. A couple seasons ago, there was some type if event, i have no clue of the specifics, but patrons had to ask performers for these different coded stones, and i guess if they got two stones that matched or something they won something... i dunno. But my friends and I were asked for stones on several occasions. We covered it up by saying we were merely travelers, not citizens, and therefore were not taxed with the responsibility of handling the stones. But either way, i rarely spend a whole day at faire without being asked directions. One day i took up answering every question with "that way and to the left." But then I figured that was too mean and wasn't getting enough laughs, so I stopped.

But this discussion has reminded me, maybe two years ago a friend and I went in garb and brought our instruments and played music on the streets, and the only comments we got from employees was just to make sure we weren't taking money for it. Enough people thought we were employed with the faire, we had to refuse donations on several occasions, and say we were only playing o have an audience. If they aren't going to prevent playtron-paytron interaction on that level, then i think anyone is pretty much safe.

Brother Gregory

Amyj I agree with you totally I have attended the faire since 2006 not in costume, but have seen people who are with no problem. Having worked at a small local faire I understand KCRF's policy who would want a person off the street to do something qrong or say something wrong that could in the end give the KCFRF a bad name.

Lady Elizabeth Howard

Me and my friends attend in costume, simply because we like dressing up. We have gotten confussed with cast before and had to give a few directions and held a few conversations. But we have never approched a patron as of yet. Not going to say it will never happen. We mostly keep our playing between our group and have fun with it in that manner. But when speaking to any patron we always try to be respectful of the faire and not cause any problems. Or to disrecpect our school, which would get us into a whole lot of trouble.