News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The Queen's Royal Garden

Started by Queen Bonnie, May 16, 2008, 12:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queen Bonnie

This is a spot to discuss our love of plants and gardens!
I am quite the plant-a- holic!
I love herbs, Water gardening, Antique roses, English roses and my latest passion is Brugmansias! Angel trumpets. The look like trees from a fairy tale!
I have a small raised bed veggie garden. It needs weeding- but I will do that after Scarby!

Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

knarlyknot

My lovely Queen, I beg a question, I have a Spearmint plant that is looking rather sickly, any ideas?  I have it planted in the same container as Lemon Balm which is doing quite nicely, is it possible that the other plant is sapping all the nutrients?  I'm quite new to gardening, or at least gardening with any success!  I usually kill everything but so far I have 9 plants that are doing well, Huzzah!

CountessofPhoenix

While not the Queen please answer some questions. Is it turning yellow, that would hint at a lack of iron. Is it wilting, perhaps it is receiving too much water, the other plants may have a different tolerance than the spearmint. How much sun is it getting as I remember mint tolerates sun resonably well. How about feeding it? Miracle grow is truly a wonderful thing. I have revived truly sad looking plants with just an application of it. In fact I have some basil and sage that need alittle on them now. Think I'll go feed the herbs!
Countess of Phoenix
Descendant of Celtic Nobility
Designer Extraordinaire
We are only limited by what we can dream

knarlyknot

Thank Thee Countess for your reply,
It seems that the main stems are fine, a healthy color but the leaves are wilting.  I think it may be from overwatering.  I usually kill my plants from lack of water so I've been really keeping on top of that.  The tag on my spearmint says that it prefers well-drained soil so perhaps I have been overwatering, I was just afraid to cut back now and have them die.

Queen Bonnie

Mints love water. I have mine in the pond. That is the only way I can keep mint.
Many mints just don't do well in the heat. Move it into part shade. Good Luck!
Wingardium Leviosa!

CountessofPhoenix

When your mint gets big enough try placing sprigs in your drinks, I know that is what most people do, but it truly does make a drink on a hot day more refreshing!
Countess of Phoenix
Descendant of Celtic Nobility
Designer Extraordinaire
We are only limited by what we can dream

knarlyknot

Thank Thee Queen Bonnie and Countess,
I will try moving it and I'll be sure to try it in my drinks once it recovers.

Lady Mikayla of Phoenicia

I was tending to my Spearmint today.  I had originally potted it with 6 marigolds.  I re-allocated the marigolds to surround the lettuce springing up to keep the bunnies away that ate my melon plants.  However today I realized there were aphids all over eating what was my beautiful Spearmint plant.  So back to the nursery, this time I picked up dwarf marigolds and only put 3 in the pot instead of 6.  Within minutes all the aphids were gone.  I like to put a couple big sprigs in the sun tea jar and let it brew outside, yum...pretty tasty tea!
"Embrace those who love you and rid yourself of those who bring you down."

Poco the Pirate

Your Majesty may I please inquire about how to get rid of chives and shasta daisies (I'm not sure on the spelling of that one).  They are taking over our garden and every year I spend hours digging them up and still they keep coming back.  :'( What should I do?
You never know when a leperon might attack

Queen Bonnie

I had the Shasta daisy invasion too. Dig them up. That is all you can do. Same for chives. They are great in Pots.
Wingardium Leviosa!

Alphonse

I live on six acres of partially wooded land, which I call my grove.Tremayne thinks of it more as a jungle  ;D Though she has helped me hack out a walking trail that leads off the mountain. The wooded area for the most part is Oak and Pine, though I have a bunch more differant types of trees,sugar maple,ceder, dogwood, cherry,persimmon even some Formosa. It is my intention to landscape and garden most of it one day.I am growing some Japanese maples,Paw-paw and oak seedlings in pots, I have had some good luck with a bradford pear I planted.

There is also a wild type grape we call muscidine growing fairly rampent and I have blackberry bushes growing along my drive. I have a blue spruce I planted which seems to not be growing very fast, I have been thinking perhaps I might try some Miracle grow on it.I am thinking that I would like to try some bamboo,wisteria(I need to build a good sturdy structure first though) and fountain grass.I have a quarter acre veggie garden and a place where I had set up a 18ft round above ground pool that I have taken down, that I am thinking would be perfect for a herb garden.

Most of my plans for planting are on hold for this year as I have launched a barn building project. I am building a barn, log cabin fashion out of 300+ railroad crossties I have stacked up out back near my garden.I picked up several tons of concrete this past weekend I am thinking about laying down as a patio.I am taking pictures of the work and my various yard planting projects I will post in about a week or so, this coming weekend I am off to RenDezvous!

Element of Air

All this talk about gardening is really making me want to start my garden and have herbs and veggies and fruit and flowers growing in my back yard. This season however I was far too late in thinking and remembering that I wanted to make some raised beds. So I shall have to wait till next year or till when I have the money to re-landscape my back yard. I have a beautiful idea already laid out in my head.
Royal Duchess of Air, Music and Beauty in the court of Queen Bonnie.
FOKTOP
Royal Order of Landsharks, Guppy No. 25

Alphonse

Indeed as with all of us who garden and landscape our dreams and plans often outstrip our abilities and budgets, while we wait for those to catch up to us, or for the proper alignment of stars and planets,we can give vent to those dreams here, as well as encourage and help others.

While out loafing away from my garden and grove this weekend, guess who I was fortunate enough to run across?

We spent some time discussing all manner of wizardly matters, wand construction,the proper education of aspiring wizards and even certain arcane theories concerning the shape of creation, while we shared some meade.This portrait was created by some of Lord Zenok's magic and I hope that he is not to terribly put out by my use of it here.It was quite a thrill for both me and Tremayne, to finally get to meet our good Queen Bonnie.

Queen Bonnie

Twas wonderous for me also to meet you and Tremayne, Alphonse! I do not oft get to discuss wizardly matters.  I only wish we had more time to visit!   
The gardens here at Meow Manor have a few more weeds since my trip. The House and garden elves have been lax!  I will have to call in the garden gnomes next!  They will subdue those weeds!
Wingardium Leviosa!

Alphonse

With so many R/Fers in attendance, I was happy that we had as much time as we did. Who knows what the future may bring, perhaps ere long with a little luck, we may be able to come visit you one day at faire in Texas. Until that day comes though, we have at least the fellowship we find here on the boards  ;D