News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The Queen's Royal Garden

Started by Queen Bonnie, May 16, 2008, 12:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queen Bonnie

There is a great vine I have on my fence at Meow Manor called Queen's Wreath or Coral vine. It blooms in the summer with coral flowers that attract bees. drought tolerant and needs little or no care once established.It dies back in the winter.  It is an old fashioned plant. I love Confederate Jasmine for the scent and it is evergreen too.I have it climbing on the fence in my herb garden.
For climbing roses I like Climbing Pinkie, Reve D' Or and red cascade. Crepuscule is lovely too. I am very fond of yellow roses.  Mutabilis is not a climber but a wonderful rose! I could go on all day. China roses do well in Tx. My Old Blush is in bloom now!
I have not had any luck with strawberries, but I sure do love them!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Yennefer

Thank you so much for sharing, your majesty..

I will definitely get Jasmine if I can find it. I LOVE the scent of roses and jasmine. I have quite a few shrubs /some sort of plants in my garden already but I have no clue what they are.. I should probably get some sort of plant indentifier.I used to grow China roses in a pot  on my window back in Russia.. They look so delicate and yet seem hardy enough to survive heat and draught.

I am ordering Alpine Starawberries seeds and going to plant them indoor first and then make a raised bed and plant them somewhere under the tree in April.. Wish me luck :)

Also, I would LOVE to  see pictures of your garden if possible. I think there were some on a first page but links no longer seem to work.

Yenn
Yennefer von Vengerberg

Queen Bonnie

I did have beautiful pictures of my garden-  taken years ago. Photobucket changed something so my links don't work.  Send me your e-mail in a renn mail and I can send you picture attachments.
The drought and being alone have taken it's toll on my gardens though. Too much for just me to keep up.  No idea what I will do.I have a big house and a very big yard.
I love Gardenias for fragrance too. They do Ok here. I grow lots of mini roses in pots! Love those too. Herbs do very well here. Plant rosemary and watch it grow!
My pond water garden is looking good! I have 4 hardy waterlilies in bloom!
Good luck with the strawberries!
Wingardium Leviosa!

Yennefer

I tried growing herbs on a patio last year.. Didnt do so well :( I will definitely plant some dill weeds again. Nothing is better with baked potatoes than fresh dill weeds.. and on mashed ones.. and dillweed butter.. yum!

I did message you my e-mail address- Thank you for sharing your garden pictures with me!
Yennefer von Vengerberg

Queen Bonnie

Cilantro, parsley, basil, chives do well from seed. I grow Fennel, sage, Sweet marjoram ,garlic chives and rosemary in my herb garden. Rosemary does not like much water or fussing. Once it gets established- let it alone.
Wingardium Leviosa!

Yennefer

I planted my roses today :) Don Juan and American Beauty for climbers and 2 " Knock Out" roses which suppose to be extra hardy so we will see.. Keeping my fingers crossed.. I feel inspired after seing pictures of your garden!

Hugs,

Yenn
Yennefer von Vengerberg

Queen Bonnie

Those are all great roses!
I have Pink Knock out! It is a wonderful rose! mine are looking better with the rain we have had.
My Spinach, chard and lettuces are up! I had 5 waterlilies blooming yesterday! Spring is right around the corner!
Wingardium Leviosa!

Alphonse

Tremayne and I traveled into town to visit the library and a place called Bennett's nurseries there is a sister business adjacent to it called "Across the Pond" which sells koi, statuary and rock that I am particularly fond of.  We put in a small pond in Tremayne's front yard last weekend and were looking for some plants to go into it.

We spent a lovely hour or so walking around the grounds admiring the plants and statuary. The pond plants will not be available for about a month yet, but we did see some trees and some of the "knock out" rose that you have been talking about.

The people who own the "Across the Pond" place are bird lovers too. They have an aviary set up and a number of parakeets in it. They had a young male cockateil sitting out on top of his cage as well. I got to spend some time visiting with him. I had always heard that the males were most vocal and I got him to say "pretty bird" for me. That was the first time I have ever heard a tiel talk, he did the wolf whistle as well and I got him to give me birdie kisses as well. I think what surprised Tremayne the most out of that, was when he put his beak up to my cheek he actually made little kissy sounds,lol! The thing that surprises me most about birds is how they can spot someone who is a bird lover and will interact with me so readily as soon as they spot that.

C Dragonworks

OHHH I got some more tomatoe plants today. Cherokee purple,Lemon Boy,Orange German and a chocolate bell pepper! I also added a Bartlett pear tree. So maybe I will get them planted tomorrow! As for herbs I have 4-5 kinds of basil coming up from seeds last season and 3 kinds of parsely. I also have oregano(2 kinds),rosemaries,garlic chives,sages,garlic,shalott,tarragon and bay tree....oh and 4 or 5 kinds of mint.  Bonnie, I got a new flowering bush you need... an Almond Verbena bush... HEAVENLY scent! I am planning to root many cuttings!  I also bought a real crabapple tree seedling. It will make the BIG crabapples! I love them spiced! Well back to it!  Hope to get up to visit... Cat

Queen Bonnie

Wow!  I wish I had your energy Cat! I would LOVE it if you could visit! Yes! I Love cuttings! Almond verbena sounds lovely!  I have been sharing Mexican Honeysuckle( also called orange shrimp plant) with all gardeners who visit! The bees and butterflies love it! Hummers too!A friend gave me a start of it ages ago. I love Pass along plants!
I need to plant more herbs!I still have a bit of garden space left.  More rain is expected here- so hoping that will help. We are still in the exceptional drought.
I planted a German red strawberry tomato and Black Krim and several odd kinds of heirloom tomatoes.I hope I don't have to share the fruits with the mocking birds this year! I told Batman to patrol the garden! 
Wingardium Leviosa!

Lady Ashly

Well after much planting I have come with news from the Royal Garden!

We have many new hibiscus plants, a beautiful Nun's Orchid, all the orchid trees are blooming wonderful shades of lavender and white. The garden is full of strawberries, pineapple sage, basil, purple basil, rosemary, dill, cilantro, lavender, lime mint, stevia, lobelia, bee balm, and wonderful gerber daises as a colorful centerpiece. One I get my magick picture box back from it's current borrower I will take some photos for you!!

"I love thee, I love but thee with a love that shall not die till the sun grows cold and the stars grow old."

Queen Bonnie

Wow! You have been busy lady Ashlyn!!
It sounds wonderous! I love all that you have planted!  Not familiar with Nun's orchid?
I want to find more pachoulli to plant. I love Eucalyptus too.
This rain sure is helping the gardens!
I ran out before the rain and planted more basil and parsley.
My waterlilies are going crazy! I counted 25 blossoms the other day. Mostly Colorado and a few Joey Tomocheck- pink and yellow hardy lilies. The fish are happy with the rain. 
my Honey locust tree is in bloom and smells so sweet.  The lemon andlime trees are also in bloom- and the gardenias have buds!
I love this time of year!
Wingardium Leviosa!

Poco the Pirate

I'm jealous of your weather. It was in the 60's here a couple weeks ago so I started to plant all my gardens but now its been snowing and freezing rain for the last twi weeks and I'm afraid not many will survive :(
You never know when a leperon might attack

C Dragonworks

Bonnie,
5 of the 7 rose cuttings you brought rooted and have now been transplanted to gallon pots! YIPEE! Now to wait to see who they are and what space they require! I bought seeds today. Dragonstongue beans, peach sunflower,watermelon radish and long white radish oh yeah and orange Watermelon. Got the 2 colours of Asparagus bean seed planted, scarlet runner bean and white cukes that I started in pots. I also have so many tomatoe plants if half produce well I should eat well this year.... going to be canning A LOT! Bonnie I can't wait for you to see all the new plants! The fruit trees have set so much fruit this year I should have many different things canned for fall! Told Mike we have to clear the porch and get my summer kitchen put in!!! Looks like the onion crop will be great this year! I have red broomcorn peaking out of the ground!YIPPEEEE! I added a Bartlet pear to the backyard as planned and all the orange trees are LOADED with fruit and flower!  I will try to get pics of many of the flowers when I have time.... but I fear that is the least avalible thing here! Well back to dirt!

Queen Bonnie

So happy the roses rooted! I will have more to share!I can't wait to see your gardens again Cat!
Wow! You will be eating well!
Wingardium Leviosa!