News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The Queen's Royal Garden

Started by Queen Bonnie, May 16, 2008, 12:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbaldock

This is the Sweet Potato that I planted last week.  When I planted it, all but one of the shoots were about the height of the second or third leaf from the bottom, and the other shoot was an inch or two longer - and no leaves on any of them.  It's amazing how fast this has grown!

Take Care,
David Baldock

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

dbaldock

Quote from: C Dragonworks on May 29, 2009, 12:02:26 AM
Well the corn is tasseling...and we are getting peppers now! Still need to plant the trees and shrubs that are ready! UGGHH never get done!

Just have to put your corps of gardeners to work.  ;D
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

dbaldock

So, from Friday morning before work until Saturday at 1:20PM, my Sweet Potato grew quite a bit:
(Note: I did rotate the pot, so the shoots would grow straight up.)

Queen Bonnie

Great Sweet potato David!
Try a piece of ginger root next!
My Scareheron seems to be working.
My fishies are acting more normal. I think the heron got 4 of my koi. I have 2 left that I have seen. Very sad.
My Cherokee purple tomatoes are ripening. Very strange looking.
The yard and gardens are looking good here.
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

C Dragonworks

David,
Sweet potatoes are a vine... so they will not grow straight. If allowed they will take over a yard.... seriously! I planted one shoot 3 yrs ago and harvested 20+ lbs of potatoes! Ginger is great and easy in a pot... that said make sure you use a BIG pot that is wider than deep as they will spread and break through a tall narrow pot in a year if happy!

I have tomatoes of all kinds and colours that are now 6" across... wish they would ripen...NOW!  Cat

dbaldock

Quote from: C Dragonworks on May 30, 2009, 10:19:50 PM
David,
Sweet potatoes are a vine... so they will not grow straight. If allowed they will take over a yard.... seriously! I planted one shoot 3 yrs ago and harvested 20+ lbs of potatoes! Ginger is great and easy in a pot... that said make sure you use a BIG pot that is wider than deep as they will spread and break through a tall narrow pot in a year if happy!

I have tomatoes of all kinds and colours that are now 6" across... wish they would ripen...NOW!  Cat

I'm just trying to grow the shoots straight up for a foot or two, and then I'm going to train them grow across the railing on my apartment porch.  After Church tomorrow, I think I'm going to buy a bigger pot to move the Sweet Potato into before it grows much more.

As far as Ginger goes, do you buy it at the grocery store and plant it, or do you get it at a Garden Center?  Does it flower?

Take Care,
David Baldock

dbaldock

Here's the Sweet Potato after repotting it this afternoon.  This planter should allow enough space for several potatoes to grow.

And, here's the rest of my outdoor garden - including the Cactus plants growing up the window and wall.  Too bad none of the Cacti are blooming right now

C Dragonworks

Buy it at the grocery store.... look for a root with a bit of greening shoot on it... then just pot it up and wait. Yes they usually bloom a white or off white flower! Good thing about it is break off a piece when you need it for stir fry! Cat

Alphonse

Springtime in a wizard's garden

Dogwood in bloom

Bartlett pear in bloom

detail of the flower bed under the pear tree

Valentine's day gifts for a wizard with an eye on his blood sugar levels

new border to replace the landscaping timbers around the azalea bed in front of the porch

dbaldock

The last photos of the Sweet Potato were on Sunday afternoon, 31-May-09.  By Monday afternoon, the vines had already started wrapping around the porch railing on their own - I didn't have to do anything but put the planter near the railing.

These shots are from Tuesday afternoon, 2-Jun-09  (It's amazing how fast these vines have taken off!  :o ):

dbaldock

It's been more than a week since the last photo I posted.

This picture was taken on Tuesday afternoon, 9-Jun-09, and the vine has quite a few more leaves and is beginning to spread out on the porch railing.

Queen Bonnie

It does look happy and healthy David!  What do you feed it with? I love Hastagro. Pinch the tip if you want it to bush out a bit!
Wingardium Leviosa!

dbaldock

There was Miracle Grow potting soil in the original green pot that I put the sprouting Sweet Potato in at first.  I had some more of that soil that I added to the larger terra-cotta colored pot, along with some plain potting soil.  I haven't added any other plant food or fertilizer yet.  Is Hastagrow something I'd find at Home Depot, Lowes, or Wal Mart?  Is it a granular or liquid fertilizer?

I want it to cover the railing a bit more before I encourage it to bush out.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Queen Bonnie

I have even found Hastagro at HEB in their garden section.  I like miracle grow too!
I have a few of the ornamental sweet potato vines. They grow fast.
Wingardium Leviosa!

Lady Ashly

Oh Alphonse, I am most envious of your Dogwood trees. They are just beautiful! Maybe you could swing by and plant one in our Royal Garden.
"I love thee, I love but thee with a love that shall not die till the sun grows cold and the stars grow old."