News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

baldric halp

Started by Dev, March 24, 2009, 07:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dev

I ordered the thief's baldric from Ravenswood Leather and when I try to put my sword on my back, it falls sideways.

It may be meant for a larger sword, but considering they didn't put any measurements, that's sort of hard to say.  My sword is a total of 30 inches, fairly small.

Chris B

How heavy is the hilt compared to the rest of the sword?  Where is the balance point? 

I would start by adjusting where you have attached the two tie points on the scabbard and then tighten the baldric to cinch it tighter to the body.  Leave the top most attachment right on the chape or at the throat of the scabbard, then keep adjusting the bottom one until it fits snuggly to the body and tighten it down.

The only thing I would be afraid of is that if your hilt is so heavy in comparison to the sword (ie. your balance point is actually in the hilt), then it may keep having that tendency regardless.  Hope it works out for you.

escherblacksmith

define falling sideways?

I think, by looking at ravenswood's site, you are saying it is sliding along the angle across your back?  or are you saying it is sliding off of your shoulder?

Which size did you get?
--

Dev

Quote from: escherblacksmith on March 26, 2009, 08:37:00 AM
define falling sideways?

I think, by looking at ravenswood's site, you are saying it is sliding along the angle across your back?  or are you saying it is sliding off of your shoulder?

Which size did you get?
Falling sideways - sliding down until it's parallel to my waist, or under my arm.

I got the large one.  As I discovered, by first ordering small, the size refers to the width of sword that the ties will fit around

Macintyre

that's why i prefer not to buy premaid stuff like that on-line.  you don't know how well it's going to fit and or work. 

escherblacksmith

yeah I made mine, of course that was before a lot of folks made these adjustable ones.

back to the problem at hand.  you put this baldric on your sword, you put said sword over you shoulder, am I correct in saying the length is long enough that the hilt pulls down whilst the leather band across your chest remains in place?

If so, your easist solution will be to shorten the belt.  The nicest way would be to get a buckle that will fit the width and do a little leather work, a cut, some epoxy and you'll be good.  Although, if you have not messed with leather work before, try it on an old belt (or Thrift store leather belt) first.

the baldric in question: Thief baldric

A somewhat simpler option is to shorten it near the laced holders for the sword (top or bottom).  Not as readily seen and you can cut and epoxy.

If this isn't your situation, then if you could post pictures, that might gives us a clearer idea.

--

Eric the Ugly

Quote from: escherblacksmith on March 30, 2009, 09:46:59 AM...if you could post pictures, that might gives us a clearer idea.

Indeed. If you're able, post two or three pics of the 'slide'...err.. "in progress" so to speak.

jeremiah sullivan

Try the ones  at J&L Trading co. He make everything in his booth. You can call him about anytime. 816-225-2609

DarkLord

Tritonworks also makes scabbards/baldrics.  Great quality but there is a about a one year waiting period.
Bringer of Doom and Pestilence

DonaCatalina

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Khaalis

In the ravenswood picture, if you look real close you will see that the baldric is so tight that it is bending the sword. I am not certain that the baldric will fit correctly no matter how you wear it unless it fits so rightly as to not let it slide.   If you can, try adjusting how far up/down the blade you are attaching the lower wrap, until it fits snugly enough not to slide.
Rogue, Merc and certified RenRat

Pirateleach

i got the thief's baldric for my sister a year or so ago, it was not right for her body size,nor her blade, so i bought her the huntsmans baldric (also from ravenswood)  much better purchase.
The thief's baldric is a great baldric for a longer blade and a rather stout fellow

the huntsmans baldric is wonderful for its adjustability.

i have the Pirate baldric w/ holster attachment , one of the best purchases i have made thus far

BTW... i really like ravenswood products 
Barkeep, Tavern on the Hill
Newcastle
Come have a Shandy from Andy