News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How much linen for a nice, full camicia?

Started by gem, February 07, 2012, 06:09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

I'm getting ready to order the linen for a new (future) chemise. This one, in fact:

(Bigger version here.)

It's been a while since I made once, so I'm foggy on the yardage required. About how much should I budget for? 3 yards? 4? (60" wide) Am I way off?

Gramercy!

DonaCatalina

I used 5 yards @ 45" wide.
But mine only go to about the knees.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

isabelladangelo

I use about 5 1/2 yards.   About a yard and a half for the front and back, a yard each for the sleeves, and then I use up the half yard for gussets and the strips of fabric needed for the neckline and cuffs.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

5 yards sounds anout right.

I bought 5 yards of a fine Dupioni Silk for a Camicica for Lady Kett's Venetian ensemble that is in the works.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

amy

Gem will you be doing some of your amazing embroidery in gold at the neckline and cuffs on this piece?

operafantomet

Quote from: gem on February 07, 2012, 06:09:39 AM
I'm getting ready to order the linen for a new (future) chemise. This one, in fact:

(Bigger version here.)

It's been a while since I made once, so I'm foggy on the yardage required. About how much should I budget for? 3 yards? 4? (60" wide) Am I way off?

Gramercy!

Following this: http://www.festiveattyre.com/research/chemise.html

You'll only need 3,5 to 4,5 yards, depending on your size. I think I used 4 yards, because it was all I had. I made the sleeves slightly narrower than Jennifer's pattern calls for, but on the other hand I'm a tall girl and probably used more for the actual body. So I think 4 yards should do the trick.

The pattern is logical, easy, use the yardage in the best possible way, and the finished result looks good. I've posted pics of my chemise before, but here it is once more:

ETA: Jennifer has made her diagram based on a 45" wide fabric. If yours is 60" you might in fact need less that 4 yards. but you would have to figure out the layout yourself...

amy

Anea did you pleat or gather the neckline of that beautiful creation?

isabelladangelo

DSC04027 by jubileel_insaneone, on Flickr

The chemise I'm wearing in the above photo is the same one shown here:

002 by jubileel_insaneone, on Flickr

You just get a better idea of size when it's on me.  :-)  This is the handsewn one I did last year - which is a bit over 5 yards.  The chemise itself comes about mid-calf on me.

gem

Thanks, everyone!

Amy, that's the plan!

Isabella, you don't post enough pictures of you in your garb. Just sayin'.

operafantomet

Quote from: amy on February 07, 2012, 01:25:36 PM
Anea did you pleat or gather the neckline of that beautiful creation?
Mine is gathered, and held together by a nice lace trim. If I were to make another one (which will probably happen in ten years time...) I would gather it to a self-edge band of some sort, and then add the lace. But it was a one-day-project, so I cut the corners wherever I could.

Thank you for your nice words! I hate making undies, so any positive feedback is most welcome...

amy

I ask because I have several blouses that I wear like chemises which were all after thoughts usually whipped up the morning of an event.   Just elastic wrists and necklines or simple draw strings.   Seems a waste of fabric and all.  So I was considering making them over with gathered necklines or pleated and nice self bias binding and trim.    Is 40 inches about the average neckline opening? 

Gem,  Have you chosen a pattern for your embroidery?  Will it be done on a band or over the pleating?   Was smocking used then?