News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Movies to sew by?

Started by sealion, March 25, 2009, 03:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flidais

I can watch TV and do a little mindless sewing, like eyeletes, or sewing trim in a straight line.  I like Ever After, Spirited Away, LOTR, Memoirs of a Geisha, Elizabeth.  I guess really just any of the movies I've seen a million times and can't get enough of.  But if I do anything that takes any thought for me, I can't watch TV or I turn into a pin cushion.

Mostly though when I sew, I listen to the pandora station I created.  i think the three things I entered were Italian traditional, English traditional and Enigma.  Plug the laptop into my stereo and sew away!

operafantomet

Regardless of the period I'm working on, I love having these running when I'm sewing:

Pride and Prejudice (1995)
The Forsyte Saga (2001)
Sense and Sensibility (1995)
And various "Phantom of the Opera" stuff...  ;D

LadyShadow

It doesnt matter what I'm sewing, 'danes or period, but I have a nice set up.  I sit at the dining room table (which has mirrors on the wall across from me :D ) and turn on whatever movie strikes my attention at the time.  So I glance up every now and then and watch the movie in the mirror, but for the most part I just have it on for background noise.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Lady Gwyndolyn

Let's see... the Tudors Season 1 and 2 are forever on my work station.  Elizabeth the Virgin Queen, Elizabeth I, Ever after, Shakespear in Love, The Monarchy, Elisabeth and Elizabeth the Golden Age, Excalibur, First Knight, A Knights Tale, Last Legion, Kingdom of Heaven, LoTR, Mists of Avalon, etc.

Having seen all of these so many times, they are great for noise and when I need a break, I look up and watch for a couple of minutes and then because I have seen them so much I quickly go back to work.  Except for my favorite parts... 
Lady Gwyndolyn
Duchess of Kearsley

Blue66669

Oh wow.... this is gonna sound weird....

I watch the Nightmare Before Christmas, or Queen of the Damned.
Blaidd Drwg

Adriana Rose

nah it doesnt

when a project gets vexing i put in the sound track from Queen of the Damned or Dracula. Heavy metal or punk makes it work better ;D

PrincessSara

I like to watch movies that go along with the period I'm sewing for.  Mists of Avalon when I was doing Arthurian, Six Wives of Henry VIII when I was doing Tudor, etc.

Anyone know any Henry II movies other than The Lion in Winter?  I have a bliaut to make.  ;)

Marietta Graziella

I love musicals!  Hello Dolly, My Fair Lady, Mary Poppins, Victor Victoria, Chicago, Moulin Rouge. 

"He knows a song will move the job alonnnnggg!"
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

GirlChris

Quote from: PrincessSara on March 27, 2009, 05:24:53 PM
I like to watch movies that go along with the period I'm sewing for.  Mists of Avalon when I was doing Arthurian, Six Wives of Henry VIII when I was doing Tudor, etc.

Anyone know any Henry II movies other than The Lion in Winter?  I have a bliaut to make.  ;)

Well, Henry II's sons become Richard the Lionheart and Prince John, so Robin Hood might give you the right feeling.

operafantomet

Quote from: LadyShadow on March 27, 2009, 10:03:42 AM
It doesnt matter what I'm sewing, 'danes or period, but I have a nice set up.  I sit at the dining room table (which has mirrors on the wall across from me :D ) and turn on whatever movie strikes my attention at the time.  So I glance up every now and then and watch the movie in the mirror, but for the most part I just have it on for background noise.

Hahaha! Sounds a lot like me!  ;D

PrincessSara

Quote from: GirlChris on March 27, 2009, 06:42:22 PM
Quote from: PrincessSara on March 27, 2009, 05:24:53 PM

Well, Henry II's sons become Richard the Lionheart and Prince John, so Robin Hood might give you the right feeling.

Ah, good idea.  ;D

Dinobabe

Quote from: blue66669 on March 27, 2009, 10:30:13 AM
Oh wow.... this is gonna sound weird....

I watch the Nightmare Before Christmas, or Queen of the Damned.

Only because you said it (I love that movie)!  I have a friend that had a sweet sixteen NBC party.  I made the cake, check it out!
http://picasaweb.google.com/TheMcCallisters/MiscellaneousPhotos#5318415386381006306
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Taffy Saltwater

Sveethot!

LadyShadow

That is a wonderful cake.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

LadyOren

That cake is awesome!    No movies to sew by here.  I wouldn't get any sewing done.  I listen to a variety of music when sewing, the tunes depend on the mood and the project. 
When I'm gone look for me beneath your boots, for I have returned to the ground from which I came.   Walt Whitman