News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Infant Garb

Started by wyckdblyss, March 25, 2009, 03:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wyckdblyss

My son will be about 7 1/2 mos when he attends his first faire (Scarby) and I want to garb him, but also want to make sure he is comfortable (knowing how weather is in May here in Texas)...Any suggestions? I have looked all over the net and it seems the smallest items I have been able to find are around 2T-3T...he will need probably a 6-9mos at that point.
WyckdBlyss,
Royal Order of Lansharks Guppy No. 70

Trillium

My son's first visit to TRF was at 6 mo. and I made him a small pair of shorts (or just find something that will work) and a little simple leather vest made from scraps, added a braided belt made from scrap fabric and he was a baby barbarian!  Costed less than $5, took less than an hour, and he was comfortable and adorable!
Got faerie dust?

Adriana Rose

For my monster when he was going to fair at the age I put him in a onesie with skull and cross bones on it...

For later down the line I found some cool jumpers on Dharma Trading ( www.dharmatrading.com )
they come white but I dyed them and put some fun appliques that I had drawn out.. They were super easy for him to wear and he could get them dirty and there was no worries.

or you could take a pair of plain colored shorts and put a little tunic over them. Just take enough fabric and fold it over to look like a bag then cut out the neck and the arm holes, sew it up and there ya go

wyckdblyss

Thank you so much! I have really been worrying about what I was going to put him in (not much of a seamstress) and finding patterns has been a pain also. The wheels are starting to turn now...hehe  ;D
WyckdBlyss,

Woodland Artisan

Last year at the St Louis Faire, we saw a little kilted lad that was around that age.  Easy enough to change diapers!  I can't quite remember what he had on top but it might not have been much more than a t-shirt with a loose "sash" sewn on it to complete the Scottish theme.  He also had a little chainmail onesy handy in his stroller just in case hostilities broke out.  ;)

Actually, the lads' minions (aka parents) are/were members of this forum.  Maybe they can shed more light.  He certainly was a cute thing.

wyckdblyss

I have found a kilt online that I really like and it will grow with my little pirate (he will be rocking the kilt at TRF for sure) I am hoping to have the much needed yearly check in time to order the kilt and have it for Scarby as well...but if not, will be needing the backup plan...hehe, chainmail onesie...wonder if my friend can make that...hmmm  ;D
WyckdBlyss,

Hoowil

If you can do any sewing, a simple smock/chemise would work. I did that for my daughter's first couple faires, and will be doing so when the next little one gets here (in a couple weeks  ;D). Its simple, makes diaper access easy, and can be done in light weight fabric to help with the heat, and keeps the sun off. Its also period.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Lady L

These are cute and comfy.  They start at 3 month size, up to 24 months.
;D

http://www.cafepress.com/lindas_worldart.370859503

http://www.cafepress.com/lindas_worldart.370859505

I have more faire designs too... if you see a design you like and I don't have it on the baby size, let me know and I will just add it.

http://www.cafepress.com/lindas_worldart.
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

GirlChris

wyckdblyss

OMG! Baby gnome is precious!! *Wonders if I could find someone in my circle of friends who would be willing to help with that*...hehehe...too cute

I am also interested in some of the designs on your page Lady L., will look at them closer and let you know.

Thanks again everyone for your help!  ;D
WyckdBlyss,

Lady Penelope

Last summer my nephew was 6 months, and we wanted to dress him up for Faery Fest here in Ontario.
So we dressed him in green and made him a pair of dragon wings and he was a baby dragon.

It helped that we make and sell fairy wings at fairs, so we kind of knew what we were doing. It was a last minute thing, and we didn't figure out a way to attach the wings easily, so we just used rubber bands! It worked, and it made it so they stayed on well, but was easy to take off if need be.

I. Stewart

Historically speaking, a simple linen kirtle would be the place to start.  Over that, you could do another kirtle in light wool, or heavier linen.  There is no need to go to extremes on garments that will be grown out of shortly.

wyckdblyss

I considered the kirtle idea, but my son is extremely hot natured (sweats in the air condition) so did not want to chance him over heating (Memorial weekend is always HOT here). Thanks for the suggestion though...will possibly do that for one of the cooler weather faires  :)
WyckdBlyss,

I. Stewart

There is nothing hot about linen.  Even light wool will be cool. 

Pyroguy

Quote from: wyckdblyss on March 26, 2009, 08:57:54 AM
I have found a kilt online that I really like and it will grow with my little pirate (he will be rocking the kilt at TRF for sure) I am hoping to have the much needed yearly check in time to order the kilt and have it for Scarby as well...but if not, will be needing the backup plan...hehe, chainmail onesie...wonder if my friend can make that...hmmm  ;D
Over at Scarby, there is a talented young man working in a booth with waterproof cloaks who does chainmail custom orders and I have seen a baby girl running around sporting some of his works. I am sure if you go there he would be happy to accommodate and he is reasonable on his prices!
Does anyone else hear a ticking sound..?