News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Infant Garb

Started by wyckdblyss, March 25, 2009, 03:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FortuneRose

Last year we attending ORF and my son was right around 8-9 months.  I took some cotton plaid sheets and just created a baby great kilt so he would sort of match his daddy. We put a tan onesie under it.  I thought it was adorable.  I'll have to see if I have any pictures saved where I can get to them.
LLVW

wyckdblyss

Quote from: I. Stewart on April 08, 2009, 07:23:53 PM
There is nothing hot about linen.  Even light wool will be cool. 

My poor son can be stark naked and in the air condition and still sweat...

I have made him a onesie that has the cutest little skull and crossbones motif, that reads "Arrgh...kiss me booty!" I also made a back up one (you never know what will happen) that has same thing except it reads "Arrgh...wipe me booty!"
WyckdBlyss,
Royal Order of Lansharks Guppy No. 70

Tixi

Linen - There is a great quote in The Tudor Tailor book about how people spent both the beginning and the end of their lives wrapped in linen, unfortunately I don't have it in front of me at the moment to get it right.

Linen is decidedly the best choice for material, because it is washable, is cooler than cotton (wicks moisture from the body), and it gets very soft the more it is washed.

Here are children's clothing info links:

http://www.modehistorique.com/elizabethan/kids.html

http://www.forest.gen.nz/Medieval/articles/garments/H44/H44.html

http://www.historiaviva.org/vestimenta/s13_maria_ajuar_en.shtml

http://www.larsdatter.com/children.htm

wyckdblyss

Thanks for the links...quite interesting. Has definately helped keep my mind going today.  ;D
WyckdBlyss,

Hoowil

Here's what we did for my son on his first trip to faire. The long chemise/smock kept him out of the sun, while easliy accesable for changing. Its a mid weight muslin. I'll make a linen one for next faire, time permitting. I was going to make a matching biggins cap, but ran out of time. We did find a merchant with little renfant sized muffin caps though.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

wyckdblyss

How precious Hoowil! I ended up just going with a a tank style onesie with a skull and crossbones and tied a bandana on his head. We will do more garbing for TRF...lol
WyckdBlyss,

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

This is my daughter and grandson, I found the little decals at Joannes and ironed it on his t shirt.

MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

Adriana Rose

My new favorite thing is old pillow cases and sheets!

I can get a shirt, pair of pants and a vest out of half of a queen sized sheet.

and a pair of pants out of a pillow slip!

wyckdblyss

Lad Joyce Ann...That is the same decal I used for my son's onesie. I think mine was od though, because it had flaked off by the end of the day (go figure).

I am unfortunately not a seamstress, so I have problems with sewing things myself...wait, let me clarify...I can sew, when I have a sewing machine that will cooperate, but I have issues with patterns (if it is cut out and pinned to the material...No problem)...So, I leave anything that would involve me doing the sewing to the professionals...lol  ;D

Great ideas though!
WyckdBlyss,

Wyckdblyss, that is so weird. . . the decal started flaking off of Aidens shirt also by the end of the day. So it just must be a crappy decal. ::)
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

wyckdblyss

I had also had problems with ironing it onto Gareth's...I even went over it with fabric paint and it still flaked...so yeah, they must just be crappy decals (I bought mine at Hobby Lobby). That is ok, next faire he will have real garb anyway...lol
WyckdBlyss,

Yea, I think I'm gonna try to make Aiden a little kilt and a hat, he's a baby M'Crack now so he needs a kilt.
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

wyckdblyss

I am not talented enough to make a kilt, but have found an infant kilt online that should hold Gareth until he is about 2 yrs, so I think I will order him that. The site also has baby sporrans  ;D (sportkilt.com), they are very reasonable too.
WyckdBlyss,

MacKee

Quote from: LADY JOYCE ANN on June 10, 2009, 07:02:54 PM
Yea, I think I'm gonna try to make Aiden a little kilt and a hat, he's a baby M'Crack now so he needs a kilt.

Kilts are cool for the lads. My son just turned 7, he has a couple kilts. I wish I would have started him out sooner  ;D
The Order of Culloden Moor

Lord and Lady Alberon

Quote from: wyckdblyss on June 11, 2009, 07:58:37 AM
I am not talented enough to make a kilt, but have found an infant kilt online that should hold Gareth until he is about 2 yrs, so I think I will order him that.

You might want to be careful & make sure that its kinda big, or you may be surprised the next time you put it on him, it will be a mini.  :o
Our son had his first kilt last year at 1 month old & this year his new kilt is 2 sizes bigger.
His chainmail was delivered to the hospital the day he was born, he just grew into it this year & wore it opening day at our Faire.  ;D
His shirts, pants & surcoat were made by me out of pillow cases.

Kilt by The Scots Dragon

Great Kilt by The Scots Dragon

Chainmail by Yods Armory
FOKTOP
Royal Order of Landsharks