News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Infant Garb

Started by wyckdblyss, March 25, 2009, 03:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kate XXXXXX

Oh, a chain mail cherub!  Cute as a button, that one.

I'm all for keeping it simple and keeping it easy to access the rear end, as babies are likely to explode at the slightest provocation.  Whatever else you do, take plenty of babywipes and at least 3 changes of clothing...

Tygrkat

That wee lad may well be THE MOST ADORABLE think I've seen!  ;D
50% Endora, 50% Aunt Clara.

wyckdblyss

OMG...he is too precious! I wish I could find some chainmaile for my little guy. I will probably wait awhile on it though, at the rate he is growing he will probably out grow it before he has the chance to wear it to faire. (At 8 months, he is only an 1 1/2 in shorter than my 11 month old nephew)
But so adorable...need to keep a look out for someone who can make little maile for TRF...lol
WyckdBlyss,
Royal Order of Lansharks Guppy No. 70

Lord and Lady Alberon

wyckdblyss Yods Armory does infant & small children Chainmaile, its lightweight & our sons was made with diamond cut out sides, so it is more expandable. Yods is good about resizing, so if your little one would need more room around or in length, he would adjust the Maile, so you wouldn't have to buy new everytime you needed.
They are excellent about doing custom work & making sure that you get exactly what you want!
They are located in Missouri & unfortunately they don't have a website, but I can give anyone their info, if you IM me.
They did M'Lords Chainmaile for our Wedding & have made me a Chainmaile belt & jewelry, which I love!

:) Lady Alberon
FOKTOP
Royal Order of Landsharks

wyckdblyss

Yea!! Thank you Lady Alberon! I will pm you to get the info.
WyckdBlyss,
Royal Order of Lansharks Guppy No. 70

LadyStitch

Where did you get the pattern for the smock, and possible biggin?  After this year's Scrby I want the renlet to look cute, but I also don't want my little lamb being cooked either.  I like the idea of the smock.  I might even get artistic and add some black work to it for her.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

gem

Stitch, you could probably use any baby onsie pattern, like M6235 or M6103, for the smock, just adapt it to use with muslin or linen instead of a cozy knit.

Simplicity 2457 has a biggins-type hat.
Simplicity 4766 is completely adorable--there are *cloaks.*

isabelladangelo

Quote from: LadyStitch on July 14, 2011, 01:41:56 PM
Where did you get the pattern for the smock, and possible biggin?  After this year's Scrby I want the renlet to look cute, but I also don't want my little lamb being cooked either.  I like the idea of the smock.  I might even get artistic and add some black work to it for her.

I've done a free hand smock.   I used a 36" wide muslin and cut it long enough that it would cover your average two year old down to her knees.  I then sliced the 36" wide fabric in half so I had a back and a front to work with.  I think I made the arms about 12" by 18" but I'm not sure.   Rather than ribbons, I used elastic at the neckline and the wrists.   The under arm gussets were tiny!   Basically, whatever I did for an adult, I miniaturized it for a toddler. 

LadyStitch

Quote from: gem on July 14, 2011, 05:55:36 PM
Stitch, you could probably use any baby onsie pattern, like M6235 or M6103, for the smock, just adapt it to use with muslin or linen instead of a cozy knit.

I've got M4236. I wonder if I could use that as a base for the smock. And I have a basic bonnet pattern, and use that for the base of the biggin.  I may just break down and buy a "christening" type pattern just to have on hand.

Hoowil

I did the smock pretty much free hand. Four rectangles, like doing a chemise. I didn't add groats under the arms, which I should have. Main thing is to remember that the proportion of head to renlet is much higher, so you need to account for a larger neck. Its cheating, but elastic is a life saver. The biggins, I had found a site that had a walk through on doing them to size, but have long forgoten it. If I remember right, it was mainly just a folded rectangle with a cord/ribbon sewn into the from hem.
For all the stuff for my two,little ones, I took what i had done on an adult scale, shrank it down, and fiddled till it fit. The only exception being my son's current shirt and vest, as they were based on an infant pirate pattern I found for a dollar...
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

LadySeasan

the wee ones garb. she is due August 18, 10 days before opening at MDRF. so we will be heading out to faire late september/october, depending when she comes

a simple overdress (i wanted the front open to show off her little chemise), and I made matching booties.

Clan M'Crack-Season M'Crack

Alisoun

8 months - Free hand smock and dress in broadcloth, laced up the back with jump rings

10 months - Baby-sized Italian chemise, Snow White gown from Simplicity 2563 with modifications, baby biggins cap

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does." --William James

Imestra

Chainmail by Yods Armory

Where did you find the tiny tankard?  Was that from Yod's, as well?

What a fabulous outfit.
We are all of us in the gutters, but some of us are lookin at the stars

LadyStitch

Quote from: gem on July 14, 2011, 05:55:36 PM

wish me luck I cut out an altered 'smock' from a christening outfit last night.  Depending on how this works. I might make her some more for next spring summer.