News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Execution Books

Started by Brother Gregory, March 04, 2009, 09:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother Gregory

I'm looking at being an Executioner something our local festival doesn't have and several people want. We're in the 1400 to 1560 period and I'm looking for any books about Executions. I've looked on Amazon and Barnes and Noble but haven't been able to find many. :)

Scotsman

Wicked!

You are scaring me!
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

Poldugarian Warrior

Look to some of the well known renaissance movies and look uo executions, and then watch that film, you'll probably come up with somethin good. The Three Musketeers Disney film has a near execution scene. No others come readily to mind right now.

Sir William Marcus

Brother Gregory, gotta ask.  Did you use "Executioner" on Amazons search engine?  Curious, as I found quite a few that would keep me busy for awhile

VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Brother Gregory

I had used that for books and didn't find many. i know of several movies that I've seen and other that have execution type scenes.

Sir William Marcus

Are you just looking more for garb ideas?
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Brother Gregory

I have the grab already worked out. I was looking for books or movies to find out the various methods of executions. I know several methods beheading, hanging, burning at the stakes, being drawn and quartered. Just wanted to try and find information on the methods so I can play an Executioner to the best of my ability.

Sir William Marcus

Quote from: Brother Gregory on March 19, 2009, 11:20:43 AM
Just wanted to try and find information on the methods so I can play an Executioner to the best of my ability.

Absolutely! I wish you the best, and in thee event I stumble across something that might be of interest I shall pass it along.  You must also share some images of your new kit when time allows.

Poldugarian Warrior

basically all the methods of execution you mentioned were prevalent through the middle ages to the renaissance and some even after that period. So I'd say if you know enough about those then your set. maybe you should look up torture methods, because there is more of a vast array of ways they've tortured people throughout the ages than executed them. Check history channel they ran a show called surviving history where they built torture devices and execution devices and tested them on themselves by using padding and what-not to protect them but give them that near death or near unbearable tourture  feeling. Check it out looks promising, I watched the show and it was fascinating to find out how many different ways we as the highest living things have found to hurt or kill each other. I mean do we really need a Brazen Bull. http://www.history.com/minisites/surviving-history

Jay Byrd

A movie with a torture scene in it is Braveheart, w/ Mel Gibson.  They toture, draw and quarter him, and then behead him.  Hope it helps.

Jay Byrd

Poldugarian Warrior

Yeah, even though they show none of the gore, it's actually worse because your mind is imagining the scene. It is one of the most powerful. Besides, The Passion of The Christ, but that's not period correct to the medieval or renaissance age as far as costume, but torture. I wouldn't doubt the same methods were used.