News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

wrap pants?

Started by Lady Christina de Pond, March 26, 2009, 12:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Christina de Pond

I'm looking around and thinking about getting some wrap pants i may get some at Garf in about 22 days but I've got sixflags a week before that and i was thinking of getting some and wearing them to sixflags any one wear wrapp pants to faire and outside faire?
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

Elennare

I've got a pair that I wear to the beach over my swimsuit.  I'd probably wear them more places if I hadn't gone and made them a size too small (they still fit, but don't wrap quite far enough to really look good) and out of fabric that doesn't look quite as good as pants as it did on the bolt.

I've seen a pair made out of some really nice fabric worn to church.  They looked very elegant.

I say wear them where ever you'd be comfortable in them!   :)
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

Lady Christina de Pond

thanks Elennare I can't wait to find a pair to try
Lady Ashley of De Coals

Tammy

I have a pair, and wear them to the beach, the lake, to pagan gatherings...where ever I'd feel comfortable!
Royal Protector of Raccoons, Mistress of the Poi, Best Friend of Windland/Nim, Guppy, Seamstress for The Feisty Lady.

I. Stewart

What does that even mean?  What the heck are 'wrap pants'?  Sorry, but I really have no idea what you're talking about.

lady serena

Wrap pants are open on outer seam and they basic wrap around your waist and tie. Here is a link look up towards the top they have a few pictures of what they look like before they are tied.

http://www.purpleunicorn.com/wraps.html
Guppy # 81
Fins up

Elennare

Quote from: Lady Christina de Pond on March 26, 2009, 06:19:48 PM
thanks Elennare I can't wait to find a pair to try

Have you thought about making a pair instead of buying them?  They are *ridiculously* easy to make.  Simplicity 4192 has a pattern for them.  There are probably a couple of other patterns around too, but that's what my quick search turned up.

Either way, have fun!   :)
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

Trillium

Got faerie dust?

Lady Christina de Pond

;D ;D that would be great tooo i think i have some grey cloth that would look great as wrap pants i may create me a pair
Lady Ashley of De Coals

Kehle

Those look interesting. I think I'll try to make a pair using that free pattern link. Thanks for posting that.
Lurker is just the forum word for stalker.
(now lurking in FL)

Lady Christina de Pond

i didn't realize how easy they are to make until i got looking at the pattern I can't wait to try
Lady Ashley of De Coals

LadyShadow

I was given a pair, they are soooo comfortable.  But due to the print of the fabric I only wear mine around the house and usually just as PJ pants.  I keep saying I'm going to make more in different colors.  But some other sewing project or something comes along
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

LadyOren

I've seen these but never worn them,  after hearing about these I may give them a try.  BTW  I found an awesome free PDF pattern here's the link

http://www.amtgard-wl.com/library/howtos/how2wrap.pdf
When I'm gone look for me beneath your boots, for I have returned to the ground from which I came.   Walt Whitman

mollymishap

LOL!  We always called them "stupid pants"--and I've never tapered the leg at all--usually just used the whole width of the fabric, though I did add a couple of small darts at the back to accomodate my shape better (also helps in identifying which side *is* the back after they're made). Here's a link to another how-to.

Elennare

I don't think they'd actually wrap very far if you tapered the leg.  I might be wrong, but it sure looks like the tapered-leg pattern will gap at the sides no matter what you do.  The one picture they had showing the finished pants didn't show them very well.  Maybe someone who has made them can comment and let us know?

Randal

Here's the pattern I use. http://oakdancer.com/parenting/paganpants.htm

Don't buy a pattern, it's ridiculously easy to draw your own. If I'm using striped material, I don't even use this pattern. I just fold the material in 1/2 width wise, then in 1/2 lengthwise, follow the stripes and freehand the curve.

Randal
Vive Ut Vive

Lady Christina de Pond

well i found a pair for three dollars i have purchased and intend to wear saturday and I'm also in the process of finishing a pair i started last weekend(i hand stich everything me and the sewing machine aren't friends) and have some cloth i think would be really cute for wrap pants too.
Lady Ashley of De Coals

renniemommy

I love wrap pants....as long as they aren't worn at faire. They are soooo not period. I wear mine all summer, after faire. I make em for my kids to wear a lot too. I really prefer to make and wear a harem-esque  styled pant...not nearly as much sewing and less hassle when I scurry into the privy.
moming and renning go together like scotch eggs and mustard

Pyroguy

I have a pair, as do most of my friends, and found out a couple of points of interest... Firstly, one of my friends is from India and she laughs at us all for wearing what is, in her country, pajamas called lungees (pronounced loon-ghees). Secondly, males wear theirs front flapped versus women's back flapped. Privy necessitates the differences. :)
Does anyone else hear a ticking sound..?

Lady Christina de Pond

I wore mine Sunday after church and i loved them i want more
Lady Ashley of De Coals

Capt Lucy

Quote from: Pyroguy on April 14, 2009, 08:17:08 AM
I have a pair, as do most of my friends, and found out a couple of points of interest... Firstly, one of my friends is from India and she laughs at us all for wearing what is, in her country, pajamas called lungees (pronounced loon-ghees). Secondly, males wear theirs front flapped versus women's back flapped. Privy necessitates the differences. :)

I had wondered about the privy thing....  Just sounds like these are pants you wouldn't want to be wearing during an ale-drinking day, lol!
Dame Lucy, Captain of the Crimson Phoenix
IWG #2772 L77 Madame Emeritus
Booty'n Penny
Ette, R/F, IFORP, Merc, FOKTOP, Rengeek blah blah blah...

LadyShadow

Oh no, they are not fun trying to get off in a rush.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Eric the Ugly

Quote from: Capt Lucy on April 14, 2009, 04:14:53 PM
Quote from: Pyroguy on April 14, 2009, 08:17:08 AM

I had wondered about the privy thing....  Just sounds like these are pants you wouldn't want to be wearing during an ale-drinking day, lol!

Actually, I would think it would be rather easy for ladies (in my experience it's not so easy for guys), since all you'd have to do is undo the front ties which would let fall the 'back end' of the pants. Done.

Elennare

It is pretty easy to get "access" to go to the bathroom in them, since all you have to do is undo one set of ties.  Go for a bow, not a square knot and it's really easy.

The trick is that you have to then gather the pants up in front of you, before they land on the toilet/bathroom floor, which requires both hands and a bit of coordination.  Easy if your hands are free, but if you're trying to juggle things like your purse, belt pouches, mugs, daggers, etc, it can be a bit tricky. :)

VIII

Quote from: mollymishap on April 04, 2009, 07:01:14 PMWe always called them "stupid pants"
I haven't even THOUGHT about "stupid pants" in an eon!  I must have made two or three dozen of those for myself and friends, from quick-and-cheap to fancy printed linens.
I moved the 'crotch' towards the front a bit so the overlap would be closer to the front of the leg.  It always made it more interesting when you walked, catching a breeze and flaring open.  Also, I got good at tying the bottom on the inside of the legs to hide the knot.
I never had any trouble on a 'privy-run' myself.
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

Elennare

It just occurred to me that I don't tie the bottom of the pants together when I wear them.  My privy instructions probably wouldn't work if you did, seeing as you couldn't just pull all the fabric up like it was a skirt.