News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Snow!

Started by Zoë, March 26, 2009, 02:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoë

My mom had to drive home down US 36 out of Boulder yesterday at around noon; a 30-minute drive took her 2 1/2 hours.  People just freak out when the conditions are bad...just take it slow and calm down and you'll be fine!  (Most of the time...)
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Demetrius

Quote from: Zoë on March 27, 2009, 10:32:20 PM
My mom had to drive home down US 36 out of Boulder yesterday at around noon; a 30-minute drive took her 2 1/2 hours.  People just freak out when the conditions are bad...just take it slow and calm down and you'll be fine!  (Most of the time...)

How did your mom get out of town? 36 was "closed" from here to Broomfield...

I like your photos but I don't see any cows. Moo.
Truth teller of exceptional proportion...
Proud to be a part of the Colorado Renaissance Festival...

Taffy Saltwater

My BF (of almost 40 years) lives in Greeley - that's a hell of a snowfall.  And I went to high school in Colorado Springs - we could see Pikes Peak through the dining room window.  I miss Colorado (but not the snow), but the entire fam damily lives in the Houston area now.
Sveethot!

Zoë

Quote from: Demetrius on March 29, 2009, 02:42:12 AM
Quote from: Zoë on March 27, 2009, 10:32:20 PM

How did your mom get out of town? 36 was "closed" from here to Broomfield...

I like your photos but I don't see any cows. Moo.

She was on it before it closed, as far as I know.  It just took her a damn long time to get off of it.

Nope, no cows here...we usually smell 'em but don't see 'em!
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Demetrius

Snow is great except when it snows... it would have been nice if the snow had not happened all at once like a broken pinata.

Taffy- we had a hundred feet of snow this weekend everywhere except in Colorado Springs where the temps were in the low 90's. Palmer High school had a BBQ.

Zoe- invisible cows eh? Well, I was also surprised to see the picture of buildings and cars!

kcdcchef

great snow pics Zoë. i keep trying to find good pictures of faire in snow, my home faire is kcrf and i am trying to get them to give me some snow pics of the festival in the snow. so great to get a nice snow in early spring. i just think calling it a blizzard is a bit of a stretch.

pktaxwench

I miss Colorado's snow so much right now...

It was 92 degrees saturday out at Faire here in Tampa, with our usual 100% humidity.  I've happily been wearing my new black and red gown the past three weekends, but this was the first day I found myself reconsidering my choice of gown and thinking of changing back to my yellow.

One more weekend, I'll be back in Colorado by the 12th.  Save some snow for me....

Zoë

Quote from: kcdcchef on March 30, 2009, 11:00:32 AM
i just think calling it a blizzard is a bit of a stretch.

I don't know what the technical classification of a blizzard is, but I think they were calling it one because it snowed more than 3 inches in an hour, or something like that?  Haha who knows.  It was a freaking lot of snow all at once, that's the extent of my knowledge.

Of course, it rained here overnight and now all the snow is gone...boo.
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Demetrius

Quote from: pktaxwench on March 30, 2009, 11:13:49 AM
I miss Colorado's snow so much right now...

It was 92 degrees saturday out at Faire here in Tampa, with our usual 100% humidity. 
One more weekend, I'll be back in Colorado by the 12th.  Save some snow for me....

I'm ready for 92 and shorts!

We put some snow in the fridge next to the blizzard, from DQ. Unfortunately, auto defrost can't tell the difference.

p.s. The technical classification of a blizzard: stick a spoon in it and see if it stays in when held upside down.

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Quote from: Zoë on March 30, 2009, 05:06:58 PM
Quote from: kcdcchef on March 30, 2009, 11:00:32 AM
i just think calling it a blizzard is a bit of a stretch.

I don't know what the technical classification of a blizzard is, but I think they were calling it one because it snowed more than 3 inches in an hour, or something like that?  Haha who knows.  It was a freaking lot of snow all at once, that's the extent of my knowledge.

Of course, it rained here overnight and now all the snow is gone...boo.

That along with the fact that there were major wind justs up to 45mph during the snow storm. Withthe snow falling, the snow on the ground and the wind I could NOT see the house less that 25 yards across from me

Yup it was a blizzard by most standards except those from North Dakota :)
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Hey- Arent You?

being a "blizzard" has more to do with wind then amount of snow. defined, I believe, by visibility distance.

I've seen 6 inches of snow with 60mph wind gusts drift to 8-10 feet and close the whole city.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing"
~Edmund Burke

Zoë

Quote from: Demetrius on March 30, 2009, 06:18:52 PM

p.s. The technical classification of a blizzard: stick a spoon in it and see if it stays in when held upside down. [/color]

Wow, you almost got me to spit my coffee on my computer.  Almost.
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Blushing

Quote from: Hey- Arent You? on March 31, 2009, 09:03:19 AM

being a "blizzard" has more to do with wind then amount of snow. defined, I believe, by visibility distance.

And said blizzard conditions ahve to be ongoing for a set period of time as well ...
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

From the Wiki

The major consensus is that in order to be classified as a blizzard, as opposed to merely a winter storm, the weather must meet several conditions: the storm must decrease visibility to a quarter of a mile or 400 meters, include snow or ice as precipitation, and have wind speeds of at least 35 miles per hour or 56 kilometres per hour (which would be seven or more on the Beaufort Wind Scale) for at least three consecutive hours.

YUP it was a snow storm where I live as visibility was about 25 feet and the wind was glowing about 45MPH and it did it from 9am to about 3
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Nixie

Well- I'm fairly sure this is just a me thing, but this whole blizzard made me wanna get someone crazy enough to wear a swim suit in it and take pictures.

Sadly- that didn't happen.