News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Pattern Help Please

Started by Aernn, March 28, 2009, 01:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aernn

I am finally getting started on a project for a fantasy character.

I am needing some help though with changing the pattern to not use such modern things as a zipper.

The pattern is Simplicity 3629.  I was wanting to do the look of the brown vest.  So I was wanting to do lacing, either in the front or the back, however was not sure how to go about it or what would be best.

The fabric I have is a light brocade, not very heavy.  Do I need to do anything to reinforce it for lacing?

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.
All know that only bards and pregnant women need ever explain themselves ~ Unknown (otherwise saying, can't remember)

isabelladangelo

With Simplicity, always cut the pattern about two sizes smaller than what they tell you if you are doing lacing.   Just put the eyelets where the zipper would have gone for lacing.

Line the bodice with cotton (I like muslin) and have a middle layer of canvas.  So you'll end up with the brocade facing, canvas re-enforcement, and a cotton lining. 

Lorraine

I'd also do a channel in between where your eyelets or grommets will go and the garment edge, that way you can slip in a cable tie or some plastic boning, otherwise the whole thing will bunch up when you lace it (not a very attractive look).

Hoowil

Do the channels in the linging and reinforcing layer, so they don't show on the shell.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.