News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Recipes for St. Patrick's Day, or any day of the year. I know a little late.

Started by Poldugarian Warrior, March 29, 2009, 02:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poldugarian Warrior

Had this all typed out then suddenly all was gone, so I'll scan them in later, but feel free to add your own. I found a Smithwick Beef Stew, Corned Beef and Cabbage cooked in Guinness, and Harp Lager Irish Potato and Cheese soup.

Lairde Guardn

Lairde Guard'n
Lairde Highe Chieftain Emeritus
Irish Penny Brigade
Rogue, Teer, Otter
Landshark, Bard, DG, RFC
15.8% FaireFolk pure, 84.2% FaireFolk corrupt

Poldugarian Warrior

Awesome, that's even better than what I had. I will definitely try some of those. This past summer while I was in Gettysburg, we were looking for an inexpensive yet tasty place to eat and we found this little pub which was dedicated to the Irish whom served during the war, and they had two things I now love and never had before then: White and Black pudding, they are awesome forms of sausage. It's just too bad I can't find it in any stores up here,but I'll continue my search. Thanks again for that post.
I'll scan those recipes in and post later, I just keep forgetting. They have to do predominantly with Guinness and it's other forms, Draught, Extra Stout (My favorite), and Harp Lager.

Charlotte Rowan

Potato farls!

From http://www.irelandseye.com/aarticles/culture/recipes/cooking/tatofarl.shtm:

Also known as potato cake or potato bread, this is very much a northern dish. It is an important - indeed essential - constituent of the Ulster Fry, alongside bacon, egg, sausage and perhaps fried soda farl.

The recipe calls for cooked, mashed potatoes. These should be freshly boiled, or, better still, steamed and passed through a food mill, and used warm.

2 lb/ 1 kg/ 2 cups mashed potatoes
4 oz/ 125 g/ 1 cup plain flour
2 tbsp butter
salt

Melt the butter and mix into the potatoes with the salt. Work in the flour quickly but thoroughly and knead lightly. Divide in two and roll out each half on a floured board to form a circle about the size of a large dinner plate. Cut in quarters (farls) and cook for about 3 minutes on each side in a heavy frying pan in a little bacon fat.
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

DonaCatalina

Colcannon is a traditional Irish recipe closely related to the British "Bubble and Squeak". There seem to be as many different colcannon recipes (and ways of spelling it, like colcanon and kohl cannon) as there are Irish households that make it.

In Irish history, Imbolc was the first day of Spring. Traditionally, at Imbolc, presents of freshly churned butter and buttermilk were given to the poor. A festive meal was eaten containing oat gruel, dumplings, apple cake, and colcannon. Colcannon was also eaten at Hallowe'en but at this time was made with curly kale instead of cabbage. The Hallowe'en version hides a ring that could predict who would be married within the next year (Lennon & Campbell, 2005).
Colcannon is Irish comfort food. A mixture of mashed potatoes, butter, cabbage and onions, colcannon is a tasty, authentic Irish dish to make for St. Patrick's Day or anytime. Serve this colcannon with Crockpot corned beer and Irish soda bread.

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients:
3 pounds russet potatoes
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups shredded cabbage (or kale)
kosher salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup butter, divided
1/3 cup half and half
Preparation:
Peel and dice potatoes. Place in a large pot and cover with water by one inch. Bring to a boil, covered, over high heat.

Remove cover, reduce heat to medium, and allow potatoes to cook 12-15 minutes, until tender when pierced with a fork.

Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 3 minutes.

Add cabbage, season with salt and pepper, and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
I use a mixer on my cabbage to make sure there are no big chunks left.

Drain potatoes and return to pot. Season with salt and pepper. Add two tablespoons of the butter and the half and half. Mash.
Fold in the cabbage mixture. Top with the remaining butter.

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

bellevivre

farls sound like thicker boxties... had something similar in Scotland!

Black and white puddings can often be found at british food stores, and can be special ordered online... (http://www.pondhoppers.net/ for one)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts