News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Burns Dinner - opinion on garb

Started by Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter, March 30, 2009, 11:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter

Me son and meself are going to a Robbie Burns Dinner this Sat.
Now the tickets say formal Scots attire, however, being to poor and inefficient pirates we are, we hae naught but kilts and some home made leather goods.
Kilt hose I can afford, but the other accoutraments are just too much $$ for now.

The question - de ye think wearing fair garb mixed with kilts would be insulting to the 'hard core' Scots going?

We were thinkin about wearing our ship board shirts (vera plain and off white),
kilt, kilt hose, bucket boots,  assorted pouch and belting, sword baldric and of course a brace of flintlock apiece. Oh and our plain black tricorn.
If the rum's gone, so is the fun
*images and URLs not allowed in signatures* -Admin
Party like it's 1724

gem

My opinion is that in this instance, "formal" trumps "Scots," and that you'd be better off wearing mundane evening wear (a tux or a very nice suit and tie [tartan, if you have it]) than dressing in your Fair garb.  To you it's garb, but to the others attending, it's going to look like a costume (particularly if you come armed, which isn't ever appropriate at a formal dinner.).

Zardoz

Formal Scots attire means Prince Charlie or Black Argyll or simular jackets and black tie, or Montrose Doublets if you want. Burns Suppers are great fun, but they tend to be pretty formal and traditional, so honestly, I don't think any elements of faire garb would be acceptible to the hosts.  If you want to make a good impression, like Gem said, wear a nice dark suit and tie, or rent a tux.  If you have a bow or four in hand tie in your tartan, thats cool, and your clan badge can be worn on the jacket breast pocket.
Enjoy the Haggis!

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/x_markers_formal_kilted_pictures-t22433/index.html

"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Tipsy Gypsy

I agree with the others. Milord and I often represent Clan Clameron at Scottish festivals, and the heritage groups tend to be a bit more formal and mainstream than rennies. If you don't have modern Scots formalwear, don't worry about it- a suit and tie, or even just a nice sportcoat and jacket, would be quite tasteful and acceptable. Go and have a grand time!
"It's just water, officer, I swear. And yeast. And a little honey. How the alcohol got in, I have no idea!"

Julianne

This event is Modern Formal Scottish.
It would be a diservice to your Clan should you not be in your "Sunday Best".

Do you have a victorian styled kilt?  Match that with a white shirt and tie and dark suit jacket.

Being invited to such an event is an honour and at the very least a dark suit/tie and your clan badge will work too.

:)
Have a grand time and let us know what you decided on.

1) we were not 'invited' - it's a ticketed event, you pay, you go.

2) Not representing any clan. We both have a deep love for Scots music, Burns poetry and songs and Haggis. 

We decided dress black shoes,  cream kilt hose,  Red and Black Stuart kilts,
dress white shirts, black ties. LOL thats about all I can afford!  Any more, I might as weel fly to Glasgow!
Party like it's 1724

Tipsy Gypsy

Sounds quite tasteful. Post some pics for us!
"It's just water, officer, I swear. And yeast. And a little honey. How the alcohol got in, I have no idea!"

gem

That sounds perfect, and I'll bet you look/ed smashing! 

After Action Report

Thanks to the advice you good folks gave us, we looked quite smashing and actually better dressed then some of the attendees! The actual event was something of a let down, as 90% of the people there were over 70 and it was very laid back, even the band was laid back.  The haggis however was quite good and the piping in of The Haggis and the recitation of Burns' poems on the noble haggis were fun.

Thanks again.
Party like it's 1724

Zardoz

Quote from: Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter on April 06, 2009, 10:47:38 AM
90% of the people there were over 70

Young crowd at that type of event!  ;)  Most of the more formal Celtic events Mrs.Z and I go to are populated by older folks, generally retired.  I was at a tartan day event today, and the mix was about like that.  It's a shame too,  I think a lot of younger folks are missing out on learning more about their heritage.
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine