News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The Slashed Shoe?

Started by ADraeger, March 30, 2009, 12:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADraeger

Does anyone know if The Slashed Shoe is going to be at Scarby this year?  I didn't see them on the vendor/merchant list...
Mr. Burress made some absolutely beautiful boots for my husband last year (wish I had some pics to post - they're the epitome of sleek and awesome), but the right one isn't fitting him so well (he's only been able to wear them twice), and we were wanting him to take a look at it..  Tried e-mailing a few days ago, haven't tried calling yet.. just thought we'd run in to see him if he was at Scarby.  :)

P.S.  How was the FOF Preview?  I became extremely ill Saturday night and missed it. :( :(  Very disappointed considering it was to be our first one. :(

lilaney

It was a lot of fun. I am so sorry you got sick!
That sucketh mightely..
But! you'll be well for next weekend, right?

As for the Slashed Shoe, I am not sure. Maybe someone else might know.

FOF dinner was good, they had wraps to eat. I got the vegitarian one.
The cast did their Chess Match fights and Highland Games, Country Dance and so on.
Only a couple of the stores were open, they still had lots of booths putting final touches on their places.
but! It was fun to sit and talk with other R/F.com people that showed up.
And see the grounds when they were not crowded.

Henry Ashford

If that was the shop run by Terry Burress(sp) then he will not be there this year.  I spoke with him a couple of months ago, and RL is keeping him too busy to do much work at this time.

ADraeger

Quote from: lilaney on March 30, 2009, 02:26:06 PM
It was a lot of fun. I am so sorry you got sick!
That sucketh mightely..
But! you'll be well for next weekend, right?

As for the Slashed Shoe, I am not sure. Maybe someone else might know.

FOF dinner was good, they had wraps to eat. I got the vegitarian one.
The cast did their Chess Match fights and Highland Games, Country Dance and so on.
Only a couple of the stores were open, they still had lots of booths putting final touches on their places.
but! It was fun to sit and talk with other R/F.com people that showed up.
And see the grounds when they were not crowded.

Lilaney - That sounded awesome.  I would love to learn some of the dances someday.  I'm quite envious of the 'maypole'rs. lol :)  I am sad to report that I won't be in attendance next weekend either... unless work schedule changes. :P  The following weekend will, God willing, be my weekend of fun and frolic. :) :)

Mr. Ashford - that was, indeed, the shop I was referring to.  Sad to hear Mr. Burress won't be there in a merchant fashion...I was hoping to buy some boots for myself.  Alas, we must go boot hunting.. again. :P 

Anyone have any suggestions to good boot & shoe vendors at Scarby?  :)

Al-Nimer

Quote from: ADraeger on March 30, 2009, 12:55:35 PM
Mr. Burress made some absolutely beautiful boots for my husband last year (wish I had some pics to post - they're the epitome of sleek and awesome), but the right one isn't fitting him so well (he's only been able to wear them twice), and we were wanting him to take a look at it.. 

I bought a pair of mid-calf boots from him 3 years ago, and had to get them a half-size larger due to one foot being a half-size bigger than the other...Anyway, I use Dr. Scholl's insoles in them for arch support and to help them fit more snugly...works like a charm.  You could do something similar if they are too big.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam, Mythbusters

ADraeger

Quote from: Al-Nimer on March 30, 2009, 10:39:56 PM
Quote from: ADraeger on March 30, 2009, 12:55:35 PM
Mr. Burress made some absolutely beautiful boots for my husband last year (wish I had some pics to post - they're the epitome of sleek and awesome), but the right one isn't fitting him so well (he's only been able to wear them twice), and we were wanting him to take a look at it.. 

I bought a pair of mid-calf boots from him 3 years ago, and had to get them a half-size larger due to one foot being a half-size bigger than the other...Anyway, I use Dr. Scholl's insoles in them for arch support and to help them fit more snugly...works like a charm.  You could do something similar if they are too big.

Thanks for your help, but alas, we tried that  :-[.  Didn't help at all - still ended up with enormous blisters...  It's interesting how much bigger his right foot seems to be.  It feels like it's a whole size too big on his right foot, meanwhile left foot is nice and comfy. Weird. lol  If I can't reach Mr. Burress (or if I can and he is unable to work with them), I'm thinking about running them into some boot repair shops & see if I can find someone to downsize it for us.  I imagine the odds of finding someone who can work on them (without ruining them) are small, but we can't find any other boots that my husband likes.. and we've already put money into these. *sigh*  Looks like we'll be wondering around as 'danes for awhile. lol

Meagan

My husband used to take his faire boots to a cobbler on Main St. in Grapevine. I've seen cobblers in Fort Worth and Denton as well. My husband has never had problems. You have to scout them out in your area and see if they are willing to take on the job.

DonaCatalina

I use Messina Shoe repair in Farmers Branch. They have repaired and resoled so many odd looking shoes and boots, as well as our western boots, that they no longer bat an eye at whatever we bring in.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

ADraeger

Thank you both, DonaCatalina & Gremco, for your suggestions.  I just finally got around to calling & leaving a message for the man who originally made the boots (I have an irrational fear of talking on the phone to strangers  :P).  If I don't hear back from him in a day or so, we're going to see if the local cowboy boot maker can fix the situation.

If not, you bet I'll be looking into those you recommended. :)

Stalkwell

ADraeger... I will do a bit of follow up for you.  I work with Terry Burress  ;)  I'll ping him tomorrow about the message.
Stalk well...
Enthralled with the Faeriebox...

ADraeger

Hey Stalkwell! I don't know if it was you or if it was me (I called and left a message), but Mr. Burress called us Friday night & we're currently working on trying to remedy situation.  Thank you for your help! It is greatly appreciated. :) :)