News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Swords that you would like a replica of

Started by DonaCatalina, March 31, 2009, 09:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonaCatalina

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady Christina de Pond

well not exactly a sword but i still want the dagger from the Robin Hood prince of thieves the one the sherriff gives Marian and she gives to Robin
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

BLAKDUKE

Quote from: Lady Christina de Pond on March 31, 2009, 01:36:07 PM
well not exactly a sword but i still want the dagger from the Robin Hood prince of thieves the one the sherriff gives Marian and she gives to Robin
Who in turn gives it back to the sherriff,  ah so to speak.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Sir William Marcus

The replica sword & scabbard I have been salivating over is actually available. It's just the $2000+ price tag that currently keeps it out of my grasp!  ;)

OMG..I'm drooling over it right now!
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

I. Stewart

I can't find a picture of my favorite.  It's number A.460 in the Wallace Collection.  I have found several replicas however.

This is one of them: http://www.armor.com/sword188.html

Lady Christina de Pond

Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

Eric the Ugly

Oh, goodness. Lots of movie swords, really.

I always had a strange affinity for the sword given to Jack by the fairies in Legend (that the fool lost).

Also (and very few, if any, under my age -34- will probably have any idea what I'm talking about here) the Mindsword from Hawk the Slayer.

I really dig the rapier worn by Maffio (Oliver Platt) in Dangerous Beauty.

I love the early, stout, transitional rapier given to D'Artagnean by his father in The Three Musketeers(1974), that was unfortunately broken in the early part of the film.

(You'll forgive me that I didn't quite feel up to loading VLC Player, putting in my DVDs, taking screen caps, hosting them at Photobucket to post them here. I figure most of you own most of these movies... and if you don't... what are you doing here?!?  ;D )

I. Stewart

Eric, without pictures I have no idea what you're talking about.  I've never even heard of most of those films.  I'm here because of an interest in historical arms armor and clothing, not because I like corny movies (I don't).  So excuse me for not knowing what made-up swords you're referencing. :-\ ;D

DonaCatalina

My husband got a Paul Chen - Hanwei rapier that looks very similar to this one.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Eric the Ugly

I. Stewart,
I'll not raise a fuss that you would call any of those movies "corny" (well...except for Hawk the Slayer, but that's part of the charm), since that's not the case, nor is it the point. :)

I guess I should put some pics up. Gimmie a lil time and I'll do so.

I. Stewart

Well I certainly didn't mean any offense by it. :)

I just thought I needed to point out that not everyone here has those movies.

Eric the Ugly

No offense at all. All's well. :)

My apologies for assuming everyone is as big a movie nerd as me.  ;D

Here we go. (Sorry if the quality of some isn't perfect, but some DVDs are encoded better than others.)
First. Maffio's rapier in Dangerous Beauty(1998). Love that rapier belt too...and all of his garb, actually.

D'Artagnan's father's sword in The Three Musketeers(1973). I really love the simple, practical, war-torn look of this one.

Jack's sword from Legend(1985). It's not really noteworthy, but it's a childhood sentimental fave.

And finally, the Mindsword from Hawk The Slayer(1980). To a 10 year old me (1984)...the Mindsword was the coolest thing ever! -lol-

;D
That's only a partial geek list however. I know that there's plenty other attractive swords that I dig in historic artwork as well as fantasy game art and pulp sword & sorcery book covers, etc.

BLAKDUKE

Eric:

I am coming in on this a little late and have not been following, but I for one did not need the picture as I knew exactly what you were talking about.  I always felt that the way the movie ended left it open for a sequel however it was never to be.  With the construction of the hilt being the major drawback I should think that with the proper battery pack and a small glass bauble of some sort, the mind sword could be made.  Some thing to think about. 

As to another "cheesy" movie for a replica possibility, are the two swords in the original 1954 version of Prince Valiant.  In fact I have made a close replica of the sword used by James Mason in the movie.  I use for knightings at the two faires that I am on cast with.  If ever I can get around to hauling out some of the pictures I have of it I will send you one.  I have written to Robert Wagner website over a year ago asking for info on the composition of those blades, but that was over a year ago and I have gotten no answer so I guess I never will.

BLAKDUKE
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Eric the Ugly

Blakduke,

Unfortunately, the '54 Prince Valiant is one of the holes in my DVD collection. I haven't seen it in some time either (caught it on cable back in '05, I believe), so I can't remember what those blades looked like.