News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Swords that you would like a replica of

Started by DonaCatalina, March 31, 2009, 09:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Christina de Pond

well Eric i had no clue what you were talking about but i now see why you would choose them they are very nice peices
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

BLAKDUKE

Quote from: Eric the Ugly on April 10, 2009, 12:31:49 PM
Blakduke,

Unfortunately, the '54 Prince Valiant is one of the holes in my DVD collection. I haven't seen it in some time either (caught it on cable back in '05, I believe), so I can't remember what those blades looked like.

Eric
Not to worry, you can find it on E-bay regularly,  however I think only VHS, maybe DVD.  That is why it is good to hang on to the old technology for a while.  I have(and all functional BTW)  disc, beta, vhs, and dvd.   You never know what you will run into at fleas markets.   The blades were massive.  the biggest broadswords I have ever seen, I would say a good 3" - 4" in width.  The way they wielded them about like cutlasses I woulds say thay were made out of something other than metal.  That is why I wanted to find out from Robert Wagner the finite details, as he is the only one left that would know something about it.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Eric the Ugly

Blakduke,
There is indeed a DVD. It was released in '04. It's on my Amazon Wish List, but that list is around 26 pages long with almost 700 items. Yeah, I know I'll never have it all, but I'll try.  :P
(and I still have my full collection of VHS...around 450 flicks, which is where I was "at" when I switched to collecting DVDs. I have to keep some of my tapes, because some of those movies are still out of print and others are just cool, like the oversized MGM boxes and the 'slide out tray' boxes from CBS FOX, etc.) Sorry..I'm movie-babbling again.  :-[ ;D

I tried a Google image search for: Prince Valiant 1954, hoping to find some screen shots, but no joy.

BLAKDUKE

about the only movie that I am missing, that is of interest to me, is Lady In The Iron Mask, Louis Hayward, Paricia Medina circa 1952.  I've got all of the E.Flynn, Stewart Granger movies, and most of the non-series singular types, Excalibur etc. 

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

Quote from: Eric the Ugly on April 12, 2009, 09:27:08 AM
Blakduke,
There is indeed a DVD. It was released in '04. It's on my Amazon Wish List, but that list is around 26 pages long with almost 700 items. Yeah, I know I'll never have it all, but I'll try.  :P
(and I still have my full collection of VHS...around 450 flicks, which is where I was "at" when I switched to collecting DVDs. I have to keep some of my tapes, because some of those movies are still out of print and others are just cool, like the oversized MGM boxes and the 'slide out tray' boxes from CBS FOX, etc.) Sorry..I'm movie-babbling again.  :-[ ;D

I tried a Google image search for: Prince Valiant 1954, hoping to find some screen shots, but no joy.

Lord Eric, I recently purchased this very movie for my princess' collection. It came in DVD, and I purchased it from Amazon. You could also download it from google videos using some video capture magic that's available for free......if you look in the right places.....

escherblacksmith

Quote from: Eric the Ugly on April 12, 2009, 09:27:08 AM

There is a fight scene on YouTube, however:

clang-clang-clang

--

Eric the Ugly

Good gosh! Those are some over-sized broadswords, indeed.

escherblacksmith

yeah, if you watch the combat it is pretty classic 50's sword fighting.  Doesn't matter if it is a broadsword or rapier.

good stuff.
--

BLAKDUKE

If you watch the movie it is even more amazing.  I really need to find out what those blades were made of because toward the end of the fight they were swinging them around like cutlasses. 

Eric the Ugly

I dunno. But the swords in the two Conan movies were fiberglass (in most scenes. All fighting scenes).

Don_Juan_deCordoba

Marques de Trives

chainshot

Eric the Ugly

Quote from: chainshot on April 24, 2009, 04:37:37 PM
The sword I would like is this:

http://www.raven-armoury.co.uk/stormsword.htm

Stormbringer!

Whoa. And looks to be based on the DAWsf paperback covers by Micheal Whelan as well (best choice for a source in my opinion). Awesome.
Good choice. Thumbs up! ;)

chainshot

You are absolutely right, it is based on the Micheal Whelan's artwork and is said to be endorsed by Michael Moorcock as the most accurate depiction of the sword.  Another tidbit of trivia is that Moorcock is said to own a copy of it as well.

L Dale Walter

3300 pounds for Stormbringer?  That's almost $5000!

I liked the series, back in the day, but that is crazy.