News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Antonis Mor 1516-1576

Started by DonaCatalina, March 31, 2009, 11:37:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonaCatalina

Thanks Wenchie, that was very interesting.
Now this portait by Antonis Mor looks to be fairly typical until you look closely at the woman's face.
Does the cleft chin and hint of a moustache mean this was a male model dressed up in women's clothes?
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Adriana Rose

It could have been a portrait of an actor.

DonaCatalina

Vespasiano Gonzaga just barely wears armor in this portrait, as opposed to other protraits wearing almost a complete set.
Did he run out of money? Or was he more interested in showing off his clothes?
(gotta love that codpiece)
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Welsh Wench

Quote from: DonaCatalina on October 12, 2010, 09:47:31 AM

(gotta love that codpiece)

Oh dear...now that is a confident man!

Or optimistic.
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

DonaCatalina

Peter Ernst I von Mansfeld-Vorderort (20 July 1517 – 22 May 1604) was an army commander and Governor of the Spanish Netherlands from 1592 to 1594.
His clothing contains so much gold embroidery its hard to tell where armor ends and cloth begins.
(he is apparently lacking in optimism also according to Wenchie's definition)  ;)
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

Fernando Álvarez de Toledo tercer Duque de Alba. Yes, he was Eleanor de Toledo's uncle.
In this painting, Anonis Mor departs from other works and really focuses more on the full suit enamaled and gilded armor. Barely any fabric is visible.

(my favorite brandy is named after him)
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

Not a dwarf- but another look at a court jester.
The work is listed in the 1600 inventory of Madrid's Alcazar Palace as "Pejerón, the madman of the Count of Benavente, with white stockings and jerkin and a deck of cards in his right hand." It was kept in the Treasury.
Mor probably made this work during his last visit to Spain in 1559. The jester appears full-length, standing, with a dark background and no spatial references. As he occupies all available space in the foreground, it is difficult to know his true height. He is sumptuously dressed in courtly clothing, and only his large head, short legs and deformed hand —the cards it holds symbolize leisure— bear witness to his condition and occupation, "the art of jest."
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

Portrait of Maria de Portogallo.
The face on this one has always struck me as oddly colored. But the gold bullion embroidery is finely detailed.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

operafantomet

Anna Iram

Beautiful trim work. Reminds me a bit of a gold version of the trim Anea used on her blue gown.

Now isn't that earring style unexpected!? Where does that come from?

operafantomet

Quote from: Anna Iram on November 01, 2010, 02:53:30 PM
Beautiful trim work. Reminds me a bit of a gold version of the trim Anea used on her blue gown.

If I remember correctly, it was only on the Iberic peninsula (Spain, Portugal) they were crazy about multiple earrings like that. Michaela de Bruce ( http://costumes.glittersweet.com/ ), who has done excellent research on Spanish 16th century style, once wrote about it and showed different examples. But 5 rings? Wow...

Adriana Rose

She looks like she had some sun before she sat for the portrait.

This may be a silly question but would the embrodery be real gold treads or just something that looks like gold? Judging by the jewels on her necklace she was rather wealthy.

Anna Iram

I was just reading Dona's post in "bowing to royalty". This lady was no doubt one of the "blue blooded" nobles she spoke of. Proud to be so fair and of pure blood.

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Anna Iram on November 01, 2010, 02:53:30 PM

Love the earrings, I don't recall any other portraits featuring that many rings!
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Adriana Rose on November 09, 2010, 05:46:18 PM
She looks like she had some sun before she sat for the portrait.

This may be a silly question but would the embrodery be real gold treads or just something that looks like gold? Judging by the jewels on her necklace she was rather wealthy.
One version of gold bullion used for embroidery was very thin gold wrapped around a silk thread. This is similar to the method for creating cloth of gold or gold shot silk. So yes it could be real gold, but I am not an embroidery expert so it could be one of several other techniques.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess