News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Day of Wrong?

Started by Count Adolfo, April 06, 2009, 01:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Count Adolfo

Hello, fellow "BARFers"

I have discussed this notion with a few of you... but after some conversation, it's really begun to change some and I think what we have now is potentially a good idea.
Often such things take me awhile to "forum-ulate" so please feel free to toss in suggestions or criticism...

A "Day of Wrong" is not what most think it is.  Indeed, I was uninformed myself and, after being educated on the point, even moreso think it's something we should consider making a BARF tradition beginning next season, but I wanted to put this out there to all of you...

Many think a Day of Wrong is dressing up in Star Trek uniforms, etc. at Faire and, indeed, I believed so as well, before being enlightened by Ulfric, who graciously...who am I kidding, he's my brother, the Horseman of Haughtiness... he set me straight, ok?

So here I learn that, on a Day of Wrong, you dress in a fashion OPPOSITE your character.
For instance, I may wear peasant garb...
A wench may dress the lady for the day... a lady... the wench.
Pirates as nobles or landlubbers...

I was thinking that, as our Faire has the distinction of running through the first weekend of April, that we could declare the Faire day CLOSEST TO April Fool's Day as our "Day of Wrong"

I'd like to put this out there and get some open dialogue on the topic... what do you all think?

Maeve & Lonan

Oh...that sound's like a lot of fun!  ;D

Jade Sapphire Emerald

I agree! It most certainly does sound like some fun!
-Formerly Emerald Rogue-
-AKA Jaden Karr-

Mmketeer

LOL! Wow I think I have been pretty much doing this already. The first day at BARF I was a belly dancer, nexty time I came I was a wench of sorts or maiden whatever and the last day I dressed in my princess costume. So, it looks like I'd be saying "huzzah" to this since I am always changing anyway. ;)
Mmketeer

Ambios

Quote from: Mmketeer on April 06, 2009, 03:25:02 PM
LOL! Wow I think I have been pretty much doing this already. The first day at BARF I was a belly dancer, nexty time I came I was a wench of sorts or maiden whatever and the last day I dressed in my princess costume. So, it looks like I'd be saying "huzzah" to this since I am always changing anyway. ;)

Bellydancer, Mmketeer?  And I missed that?   :-[ :) :-[
William Parr, KG
Marquess of Northampton
7th Earl of Essex
RMG# 520
IBRSC# 1214
God Save My Sis...(oops) The Queen

Seamus Ex Machina

OOOOooooh , yes, M'Lord..... :o

You so missed it.
Legendary Hellraiser

Count Adolfo

Aye, Brother... I was just thinking that SAME THING!!!

Well, Mmketeer, you could not go wrong, then, so to speak... pun intended... on a Day of Wrong... for 'tis your nature to change...
but then, you could come in mundanes...
that would be your 'opposite', no?

For those on cast, such as you, Ambios... obviously you could not come dressed as a peasant... but I got another idea from Ulfric...

(~disclaimer~ I don't believe my Brother Horseman will mind me stealing borrowing his ideas so long as there is full disclosure and credit is given where credit is due)

a cast member could wear something upon their garb that is not detracting from their role yet shows 'support' for the tradition.
For instance ~ a noble cast member could wear, that day, a strip of torn muslin, tied about their leg above their boot... a small detail that many would not notice but that those "in the know" (as Ulfric would put it) would see and acknowledge.

If we decide as a group that this is a good idea and we wish to make it a tradition, I can see some other potential for it to be not only fun... but also something we could use to benefit others... and I can explain what I mean if or when the decision is made to go forward with this.

So far, it looks like a few of you are in favour...

Ladyfair

Day of wrong can also be a planned themed event....we do this in the Northern shire every year..

Examples of past themes.... a hawaiin theme.... a tourist theme.... a movie such as wizard of oz theme....  there was even one year where folks were dressed as dieties....  a pick a year theme (50's) saw a lot of poodle skirts and a lot of slicked down hair.... the list is long on this one..... and my mind is not as clear as it once was...lol
Lady Penny Clan Sutcliff - MI Chieftess
2013 Penny family Gathering Sept 7-8
Ren Vet
IWG Wench #3523

The Highland Rogue

A fine idea.  Now, what to do, what to do...  We have a year to figure it out.

"Níl gach uile fhánaí caillte"-"Not all who wander are lost"
Vincere vel Mori - "To Conquer or Die"

Steve "Maclaine"

Mmketeer

Oh I love it Count! ;) Yes, I think dressing as a mundane would be my opposite. :) I haven't done that since Largo, but oh I hope no one will mess with me like they do the other mundanes if I go without period costume.

Yes Ambios, you did. LOL! But, trust me I was a tasteful gypsy belly dancer. Beacuse of all the dirt, dust and stuff I would never wear my real stuff. If you want to see that you'd have to come to my bellydance gala that my dance troupe performs every year at USF. ;) June 27th, tickets will be available through us and ticketmaster.

Gramacy Seamus, wink, wink. You probably saw me come out of my shell more that day than any other. Thank goodness I never have to worry about photos. ;)
Mmketeer

Count Adolfo

I figure we get a dialogue going, take suggestions, see how it goes... and then we can make something very fun out of it.