News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

??kilt patterns??

Started by Poco the Pirate, April 01, 2009, 04:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poco the Pirate

I need a kilt pattern that would fit a guy whose 6'1" and whose waist is 29". I've tried every where. I thought I could take a bigger pattern and just make it smaller but it turned out lopsided (and not due to bad sewing) so now I'm stuck.
You never know when a leperon might attack

LadyShadow

When I made a kilt I used the Simplicity pattern 8913.  I had to add a lil bit to the bottom for Hubby.  But it worked out well for me.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Poco the Pirate

Thank you!!! When I went to jo anne fabrics none of the books had kilts in them and after looking through 7 drawers of patterns the store closed :p  thank you so much.

iain robb

You can also use the directions found here:

http://ianbrockbank.net/highland/MakingKilt.html

I adapted those for the first kilt I made.

Or if you're feeling really ambitious and want to learn to make a kilt the traditional way, you can purchase The Art of Kiltmaking at http://www.celticdragonpress.com/

I'm using that now. There's a free guide to making box-pleated kilts you can download as well.

gem

Quote from: Poco the Pirate on April 01, 2009, 05:13:01 PM
Thank you!!! When I went to jo anne fabrics none of the books had kilts in them and after looking through 7 drawers of patterns the store closed :p  thank you so much.

All of the major pattern makers have their entire catalogues (including out-of-print patterns) online:

www.mccall.com (will take you to McCall's, Butterick, and Vogue)
www.simplicity.com

Poco the Pirate

That was awesome!! Thank you so much. I will definately be making plenty of kilts now :D

Dinobabe

This was on a website I found years ago.  I'm just glad I copied the info because I can't find the site anymore!  ;)

http://picasaweb.google.com/TheMcCallisters/GreatKilt?authkey=Gv1sRgCOLz4pjtqP796gE#

A Modern Approach to Making a 'Great Kilt'

by Lord William Blackfox, CSM 

I have discovered to my delight that there is a new popularity of the ancient Scottish great kilt, which is variously called in Gaelic "philamor" or "breacan feile" (belted plaid). I've chanced upon a publication on the subject of Scottish attire which gives a superb and modern method of constructing a great kilt which I shall herewith expand upon.

First, select your material. It should be a plaid of either 100% wool or a wool blend as wide as possible, but above all it must be woven in a genuine tartan pattern. Many textile mills make plaids which are not genuine family tartan patterns and these should be avoided like the plague! Check with your library or with a truly dedicated Society Scottish persona for a copy of Bain's Clans and Tartans of Scotland, which is the most complete guide to the true tartan patterns. If you are svelte, buy about 4 1/2 to 5 yards of material. If you are heavier, use 5 to 6 yards of material. Cut a strip from one end about 4 1/2 inches wide for making belt loops. Hem the ends neatly, but DO NOT HEM THE LONG SIDES UNLESS THEY HAVE AN UNWANTED FRINGE! You may wish to fringe the upper long side after the kilt has been made.

Measure yourself from a point about 1 inch above the top of your knee to your natural waistline. Call this measurement 'A'. Now measure across your lap from front to front of the pelvis. This may be from 13 inches on small men to no more than 16 inches on heavier men. This is measurement 'B', and will be the width of the unpleated 'aprons' which will overlap in front.

Lay your material out with the hems at the ends turned UNDER. Choose one long side to be the hem of the kilt.   

In the illustration above, note that the corners of the kilt material have been labeled with various geometrical symbols. These corners will be referenced by that symbol later in the article. Using a dressmaker's marker, make marks on the material 'A' inches up from the hem and 'B' inches in from the ends.

Measure your waistline loosely; subtract measurement 'B' from it; divide the difference by 2 and round off to the nearest whole number. This is the number 'N' which will be the number of intervals between the first two marks at which belt loops will be sewn across the back of the kilt.

Now take that 4 1/2 inch wide piece of material, lay a piece of string along its full length and fold it in half lengthwise. Carefully sew a hem along its length 2" from the fold and sew one end of the tube shut with the end of the string sewn into the hem. Now pull the string through and pull the tube inside-out, then press the tube with the seam in the middle of one side. You should have a flat, double-thickness strip 2" wide. Cut pieces from this strip 2 inches long for belt loops.

Measure the distance between the two marks on the kilt and divide by 'N'. This value gives the variable measurement 'C'. Using the dressmaker's marker, measure and mark the kilt every 'C' inches between the first two marks. Now take the belt loops and sew them in place at each of the marks along the back of the kilt. There should be 'N' plus one belt loops and they should all be centered 'A' inches from the hem.

When a belt is strung through the belt loops, the loops butt against each other and automatically form the pleats in the back of the kilt. Neat, huh?

Putting on the Great Kilt

Lay the prepared kilt out on the floor or on a bed with the belt loops up. Thread a regular belt through the belt loops, then turn the whole thing over with the belt and belt loops underneath. Now lay down upon the pleated part of the kilt with the hemline at the top of the knee.

Fold the right apron flap (hexagon) in front of you, then fold the left apron flap (triangle) over the right and fasten the belt snugly. Stand up and adjust the aprons so that one is directly over the other as in figure B.

Let the extra material hang down over the belt. Now put on a wide dress belt and sporran as shown in figure C.

Take a flap of extra material hanging down in front (star), fold it over itself and tuck it into the top of your belt on the right side. Take the other flap (diamond), raise the corner to the left shoulder and pin it with a large brooch as shown in figure D. For a finishing touch, pin a large blanket pin on the front apron at the location marked with a triangle in figure B.       

This new configuration should not only be stylish, but also very stable with little problem of material shifting about.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

DesertRose

Dinobabe... I think you just gave me the info I have been seeking for a few months now !!  Thank you   ;D  I am to make a great kilt for a dear friend.  He doesnt want to pleat it each time, and I was dreading setting all those pleats permanently.  This looks like it just might be my answer... yeah !!   I will have to post pics when it is done.

Dinobabe

Quote from: DesertRose on April 06, 2009, 05:41:31 PM
Dinobabe... I think you just gave me the info I have been seeking for a few months now !!  Thank you   ;D  I am to make a great kilt for a dear friend.  He doesnt want to pleat it each time, and I was dreading setting all those pleats permanently.  This looks like it just might be my answer... yeah !!   I will have to post pics when it is done.

It really is great!  It still "folds" like a real kilt but without all the hand pleating! ;D
The only issue I had was that I felt the total length of the fabric measurement was a bit short.  I wish I had added at least another yard.  My friend is making one and I told her to go ahead and add a yard.  Can't hurt! ;)
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

DragonWing

Dragon rider and mage,
(aka Vince)

Valencia

Quote from: iain robb on April 02, 2009, 07:23:28 AM
You can also use the directions found here:

http://ianbrockbank.net/highland/MakingKilt.html

I adapted those for the first kilt I made.

Or if you're feeling really ambitious and want to learn to make a kilt the traditional way, you can purchase The Art of Kiltmaking at http://www.celticdragonpress.com/

I'm using that now. There's a free guide to making box-pleated kilts you can download as well.

I made a few kilts using the first link, and they turned out fabulous.  The instructions were great. 

DragonWing

OMG....! I just found this website that has just about any kilt you want. Not to mention boots or anything remotely associated with kilts.  :o   They even have food products!

Oops here is the link

http://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/
Dragon rider and mage,
(aka Vince)

Cilean

Hello

Kass McGann has come up with a slew of new patterns and she has a great kilt pattern, taken from some finds from the time period.

https://www.reconstructinghistory.com/rh306-great-kilt.php?s=&c=22&d=190&e=35&q=1&p=52&w=21

I hope this helps!

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail