News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Lense suggestions for KM Maxxum 5D

Started by Ambios, April 02, 2009, 07:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambios

Hello all....thought I would "ask the family"....

A couple (or is it 3) years ago, St Nick brought me a brand-spankin new Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D, and I love it.  Of course, KM exited the consumer photography business soon after I received my toy!

I'm looking for my first "addition" to my arsenal.....zoom lens......and am looking for suggestions of good/reasonable priced (if those two terms aren't TOO mutually exclusive) lens.  Suggestions?  And, pray tell, since Sony bought out KM's business, do the Sony DSLR lenses fit my 5D?

Be nice.....I'm obviously a neophyte......apologizing in advance for lack of knowledge (and common sense??)
William Parr, KG
Marquess of Northampton
7th Earl of Essex
RMG# 520
IBRSC# 1214
God Save My Sis...(oops) The Queen

BamaWoodsman

I shoot Nikon cameras but I do know that you can use the newer Sony lenses as well as any of the older KM lenses all the way back to the early '80s. For me I like shooting faires with a good super zoom such as a 18-200 but I'm not sure whats available for the KM.   

This is a good resouce for lense compatibility: http://porters.com/LENS%20COMPATIBILE.pdf

Ambios

Quote from: BamaWoodsman on April 04, 2009, 11:33:34 PM
I shoot Nikon cameras but I do know that you can use the newer Sony lenses as well as any of the older KM lenses all the way back to the early '80s. For me I like shooting faires with a good super zoom such as a 18-200 but I'm not sure whats available for the KM.   

This is a good resouce for lense compatibility: http://porters.com/LENS%20COMPATIBILE.pdf

Thanks, Woodsman...I'll take a look at the .pdf you provided!
William Parr, KG
Marquess of Northampton
7th Earl of Essex
RMG# 520
IBRSC# 1214

tcindie

I'm guessing that much like the Nikons the lens that came with your Maxxum is probably something like an 18-70mm zoom.  If that's the case I would probably go with something like this 70-300mm, that way between the two lenses you'd have 18-300, which should cover just about any ground you need to cover.  Unless you're doing sports photography and want to get one of those massive zoom lenses you see the photog's on the sidelines with that let them capture in your face action shots all the way across a football field and such.

Ambios

Quote from: tcindie on May 02, 2009, 06:06:36 PM
I'm guessing that much like the Nikons the lens that came with your Maxxum is probably something like an 18-70mm zoom.  If that's the case I would probably go with something like this 70-300mm, that way between the two lenses you'd have 18-300, which should cover just about any ground you need to cover.  Unless you're doing sports photography and want to get one of those massive zoom lenses you see the photog's on the sidelines with that let them capture in your face action shots all the way across a football field and such.

Thanks!....You're correct, my "stock" lens is an 18-70...I'd been wondering about something like this 70-300 so I'd have the extra range without a lot of overlap...and I wouldn't have to be doing too much changing in an outdoors environment so I shouldn't have to worry about dust/dirt intrusion that much.
William Parr, KG
Marquess of Northampton
7th Earl of Essex
RMG# 520
IBRSC# 1214