News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Pocket Camera

Started by Dinobabe, April 04, 2009, 08:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinobabe

I want a pocket camera that will take very good pictures and has lots of options.  Hubby has the expensive canon rebel with all of the bells and whistles so I don't need something that nice.  I don't want to spend too much money but I don't want something that will fall apart after a year of abuse, either.  It needs to be able to handle Civil War events, geology field work, getting dirty, etc...  Any suggestions?  Thanks! ;)
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

gypsylakat

I just got the Canon power shot sd1100, it was just under $200 from ritz camera, 8mp, takes an sd card, rechargable battery
It has a lot of bells and whistles, but their simple bells and whistles, such as: Oh it's really bright out here, let me just press function and select beach. The only thing I don't like about the functions is that it takes like 5 button pushes to change modes... but there may be an easier way to change it that I don't know about yet. which is likely
I'm still going through and figuring out what everything does, but I was still able to take some really great shots at the cherry blossom festival in DC on Saturday without knowing how to work everything.

My boyfriend doesn't like the fact that a half push of the shutter auto focuses it, but I do, he thought he had taken like 5 pictures of me but hadn't.

edit: I'll also add, this camera is small, but it's not ridiculously "spy cam" small, it's just bigger than a credit card with the thickness of about maybe half an inch, It easilly fits into your pocket or purse, it's very light, and it seems to take some pretty good pictures :)
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Dinobabe

Thanks for the info!  We actually are looking at this one.  Glad to have some comments from someone that owns one.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

gypsylakat

do you have any questions specifically?
You can see some of the pictures I've been taking at
http://frommissyandkevin.blogspot.com

the older posts were when I first got it, it will also show you the video quality of some of it, and the video even looks awesome when hooked up straight to the tv, the only thing I don't like about the video function is that the mic is close to the zoom so if you change the zoom while filming with sound, you hear these little clicks.

Dinobabe

Nothing specific, just looking for user advice on a good camera!  Thanks!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

gypsylakat

Oh something else cool about it that I didn't discover until afterwards, it has a tilt sensor, so it can tell which direction is "up" and will adjust the picture accordingly, basically this means that if you take a picture with the camera vertically, when you are scrolling through the pictures horizontally it will turn the vertical picture so that it is the correct direction, when you turn the camera to vertical it turns the photo as well.

The Highland Rogue

Pentax - Optio 10 - 8 megapixels - quality is good.  7x Optical Zoom.  What I love about it...  no EXTERNAL lens parts.  All focusing is internal.  No parts to get trashed in the dust (I've had my Canon in twice for lens jamming due to dust.)  Also, lens cover is a slide so it doesn't accidentally get turned on in a case, pocket, purse, sporran, pouch or any where else the lens can't open.

Nope on the Tilt...

NEXTAG -
Pentax Optio Z10 8.0 MP Digital Camera
Compact - 8MP - 7x Optical Zoom - Built-In
BUYDIG.com:$119   OpticsPlanet:$250   ANTOnline:$250  
"Níl gach uile fhánaí caillte"-"Not all who wander are lost"
Vincere vel Mori - "To Conquer or Die"

Steve "Maclaine"