News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Mockups for knits?

Started by ArielCallista, October 08, 2010, 08:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArielCallista

I'm in the middle of working on halloween costumes, and just started working on a particular one which is Uhura's dress from the most recent star trek (basically a short sleeve knit mini dress). I have no pattern for it and am absolutely positive that there isn't a pattern out there that will work for her proportions. she's average chested, has some remaining baby weight, and quite a booty! I'm planning to drape it, but definitely don't want to skip straight to using the final project fabric cuz its expensive and I don't have much as it is. I went ahead and draped it out of muslin like I would for any woven project. The dress is suuuuper fitted. I definitely wanna make sure I get it right so she can feel as hot as Zoe Saldana.

My question is: is this a reliable option or do I need to drape it out of a knit, also how would I make sure that the final knit will lay the same way as a cheap knit I might use to draft the pattern...or should I use the muslin mockup I made to make a prototype in a cheap knit to see if it works?

I just don't wanna jump the gun and cut into the final fabric and screw myself over cuz it's like $50 worth of fabric that I can't easily find/afford to replace...

HALP!
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

Kate XXXXXX

I try to use something as close to the real stuff as I can get cheaply.  If I have to buy it specially, I include the extra cost of the toile fabric in my quote. (quotes for woven fabric already include the cost of thread and toile fabrics).  Where possibly, I try to use scraps from previous projects for this sort of thing.  I saved all the long strips of white nylon Lycra from the pods project to use for stretch toiles, for example.

Jon Foster

Quote from: Kate XXXXXX on October 09, 2010, 04:10:38 AM
I try to use something as close to the real stuff as I can get cheaply.  If I have to buy it specially, I include the extra cost of the toile fabric in my quote. (quotes for woven fabric already include the cost of thread and toile fabrics).  Where possibly, I try to use scraps from previous projects for this sort of thing.  I saved all the long strips of white nylon Lycra from the pods project to use for stretch toiles, for example.

Good advice Kate.

Jon.

ArielCallista

I found several yards of a plain jersey knit I bought a year or two ago for a project...I wayyyy over guessed on how much I needed, so I'll try draping with that to see how that goes...
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.