News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Tartan Day in Austin Texas.. Not!

Started by Zardoz, April 05, 2009, 09:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zardoz

Well, I was reliably informed that there would be a Tartan Day event in the rotunda of the Texas Capital building in Austin, but for reasons I have yet to learn, nobody showed up!  Except for me and Mrs.Z the capital was pretty much a tartan free zone! At least I was the most interesting person there for a while, doing my part for tourism!
But it was a nice day and since we made the 320 mile round trip anyway, Shelley took a few snaps...

Our state capital was constructed from native pink granite in 1882–88, and a $75 million underground extension was completed in 1993. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1970 and recognized as a National Historic Landmark in 1986. It is the largest state capitol building in the United States, larger and taller than the US capital in D.C.

The State Seal in the rotunda under the dome, the crests around it are the 5 nations that have claimed Texas as a colony, territory or state; Spain, France, Mexico, United States, and the Confederacy.

The dome directly above the seal.

a nice mosaic in the new underground extension.

After visiting our capital, we took a little jaunt downtown to Austin's 6th street for a snack and a pint,
Since we were playing tourist, we checked out the Austin Coyote Ugly, tons of fun!

some of the bar rules...

some of the friendly coyotes

This young lady (who was an awful cute redhead) was interested in "the question" I gave her answer #4; "The Irish Air Force: 2 hangers and a nightfighter"

glad I shaved my noggin this week! When in Austin Texas, check out the Coyote Ugly bar, they love the kilt!

And finally on the way home, a riot of Texas Bluebonnets on the side of the highway...
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Ginette

I'm glad you had fun in my home town of Austin!  Thanks for sharing your pictures, it looks like you had fun.  :D  If I had know about Tartan Day in Austin I would have had at least 2 more tartan wearing men show up.  If you make it back to Austin again I'll show you around town and buy you a beer. 

:)
Weddings & Events at Sherwood Forest Faire.
PR for life!

Lady Mikayla of Phoenicia

Thank-you for the great pix of the state capitol.  Molden had tried to take me on a tour of the capital on one of my visits but there was absolutely no where to park.  (Game day.)
"Embrace those who love you and rid yourself of those who bring you down."

jcbanner

A non-Tartan Tartan day? was the event canceled?   We just finished a Tartan Days festival here in St Louis over the weekend. Had a great time

Zardoz

Quote from: jcbanner on April 06, 2009, 08:19:57 PM
A non-Tartan Tartan day? was the event canceled?

I don't really know,  ???  the deal at the capital was supposed to be on Sunday the 5th. I know there were games in San Antonio that day, so maybe everyone went down there instead. I was relying on the TXSCOT.COM website for the info, and I guess the change in plans didn't trickle down to it!

Truth be told, if I'd known I would have saved the 12 gallons of gas!  But we didn't get upset about it though, it was a nice day for a ride, and we had not been in the capital since before the extention and restorations were done in the 90's. 

IBRSC# 1619,

Ginette

Quote from: Abbynormal on April 07, 2009, 08:59:23 PM
Glad you enjoyed my town, too.  Wanna see lots of tartan?  Come to town during the Austin Celtic Festival (the first weekend of November).
Lots 'o bonny knees!!  ;)   

I've never been to the Austin Celtic Festival but would LOVE to go!  Lets plan on going together this year, we can check out the bonny knees!   ;) 
Weddings & Events at Sherwood Forest Faire.
PR for life!

Zardoz

Yeah, my knees will be at TRF that weekend.
IBRSC# 1619,