News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Update on Sherwood Forest Faire

Started by rengypsy, April 07, 2009, 01:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rengypsy

this week we had a correspondence with an individual who is a major vendor at several large faires across the nation.  this individual was originally indicating they would build and become a vendor at Sherwood; but, had some misgivings of late...indicating their impression from posts, etc., was that we were behind schedule and there were concerns we would not be operational by opening date.

i want to give my two cents on answering this person's concerns, provide an update, and let you all know what we have planned on site in the upcoming months...likewise, i would hope that any of you who have visited the grounds, have put in your applications, received contracts, etc. would chime in and give your perspectives on where we are, what you have witnessed first hand, and what you think will happen on february 2th, 2010.

we have been quite dilligent in acquiring all necessary permits.  we have crossed our T's and dotted our I's...in assuring the faire will go forth without a glitch.

we have routinely invited folk to gather on site to help us plan, to feel the development with their eyes and hearts, to ask any questions they choose to fact check the validity of our business plan.

it wasn't until late january of this year that we received our building permit.  since then, we have had four guys full time building on the grounds.  by the 25th of april, we will have our first evolution of the front gate complete, six stages built, a cedar fence around 25 acre tract of the faire grounds proper.  we will also have the front entrance off of 290 started, according to txdot regs...and the billboard erected sortly after that.  likewise, in early may, we will begin the construction of the small chapel, maid marian's chapel (16'x32') accompanied by a 7' celtic cross and smaller stone celtic crosses around the outer perimeter.  we will also complete the last two larger stages in may.

aqua water contacted me yesterday to say that because they had so many time limitations before them in acquiring the six right of ways needed to bring a 4" water line 2/3 of a mile from old potato road to the property, that they had decided to bypass the acquisition of right of ways and go into the county right of way beside the road and significantly decrease the wait of getting us water to the site.

bluebonnet electric is costing out the placement of electrical lines behind the prospective circle around the faire grounds.

while in bali, we purchased 7 large obelisks (over 3 meters tall and 2-1/2 tons a piece) to become our "Seven Sisters" celtic stone circle.  we have have commissioned a chess set with one meter pieces carved from wood and found white and black 50 cm sq stones which will be alternated to make our chess board.

in bali, we have had made medieval carts, wheelbarrows, wagons, the bar for the pub, "Ye Old Trip to Jerusalem" as well as tables and benches.  we have our signage all ordered--more than you can imagine.  our costumes are under development. 

the children's section is well under way in planning.  it's name is "Once Upon a Time..."  and the stage in that area will serve as a platform for children's improv theatre, as well as many, many other creative events centered around children.

we have one from the rennie clan who will be heading up our band of fairies, as well as selling fairie wings in her own booth.

application for a liquor license has been made on behalf of the faire. 

the entertainment company meets weekly and has done so for two months...and is still recruiting additional members to the cast.

we advertize for artists and artisans weekly in the austin chronicle.  we currently have approx 20 vendors who have either submitted apps or have both submitted apps and have executed contracts in hand.

a very able gentleman has already signed a contract to run the games.  experienced.  will impress all for a first year faire.

ok, well, that is where we are.

would love further questions, concerns, or accolades offered by interested parties.

rengypsy

it's all about the journey and the people we choose to make the journey with

rengypsy

just completed a new blog post of the website.  we invite you to read it and make comments, both there and on this site.  we need each of you to be a part of this extremely exciting venture.  rengypsy

www.swf-faire.com
or
www.sherwoodforestfaire.com
it's all about the journey and the people we choose to make the journey with

Queen Bonnie

It sounds wonderful! I have been spreading the word to faire folks wherever I go!
All are so excited about Sherwood- as am I!  Huzzah Renngypsy and Autoloculous!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!