News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Cone for Ostrich Plume hat pin.

Started by Anna Iram, April 09, 2009, 09:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Iram

I can't seem to find a link where I can purchase the cone pin that's used to hold plumes.

Not even sure what they're called! Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Pinn

I found those pins at my local Jo-Ann's in the wedding section
I.P.B.
IWG# 3681
Ette
ROL #101
FOKTOP

Anna Iram

Ah. I looked through all the aisle of Joanns and Michaels, Didn't occur to me to look in the wedding section.

I'll take a look. Thanks. :)

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

What I use for holding plumes for gats are the large Filigree Aglets that I order from www.pillagedvillage.com Click onto this site and then on the left side , Click onto Online Cataloge. Then Scroll down to where it says Aglets. I get them in Gold as well as Brass.

Good luck!!

http://www.pillagedvillage.com/~pillaged/cgi-bin/cart.cgi/BT_1315.html
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

DragonWing

Not 100% sure but I think you can get these at any craft store. I am pretty sure I have seen them at AC Moore and/or Michael's
Dragon rider and mage,
(aka Vince)

Elennare

...There are pins to hold the feathers on hats?  huh.  My hat has a braided leather hat band, so I just wove the end of the feathers through that. 

Learn something new all the time, I guess.

:)
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

Anna Iram

I like the look of a cone. Keeps the ends all tidy and all that. I purchased a hat last year with one and I'm smiten now.  :)

I did find one in the bridal section of Joanns. It's meant to be used as a lapel flower holder for the groomsmen and is exactly the one on my other hat! Who'd have thought. Thanks again. :)

I do LOVE the pretty fillagree ones Kathleen. I may order a few and play around with those for a hat I want to try my hand at this summer. Do you just sew it in or do you glue a pin back to it? I like the idea of changing out the feathers now and again.

LadyShadow

I had no clue what you guys were talking about until further in the thread.  But all I have to say is wow, theres a lot of stuff I dont know.  So can these be used for both men and women's hat?
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Dayna

Absolutely, my friend Pam of La Paloma hats buys those corsage cones by the box and epoxies pins onto them, they work great for all manner of hats.

Dayna
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

Manwariel

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Anna!!

I order several dozens of the Filigree Cones in the Gold and Brass because I do a lot of hats. You can put at least 2 plumes in them when they are trimmed at the stalk.

A pin can be glued onto them to keep them on a hat better. Those I find in the Jewelry section at a Hobby Lobby or when I order from Fire Mountain Gems.

Manwariel

Ah, okay. I was wondering if there's a way to make them removable so you can use the same feathers for different hats depending on which you want to wear.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I was at JoAnn's yesterday to pick up some odds and ends. What I bought was  package of pin backs with an Adhesive strip  in the Jewelry Findings section that can be applied to the Filigree cones i use for Plumes for hats. They work slick!!! All  Jewelry Findings, beads, wires, etc., were 40% off as well!!!

I love sales!!! I even stocked up on the metal coated Plastic Vermiel Beads that I use for garbing anf hats.